Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
We happen to have some spare cash now….

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Surely that’s just a public statement to stop the agents sniffing around.
Why would that stop them? If anything it will just stop them shopping other players to us.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Surely that’s just a public statement to stop the agents sniffing around.
Yep, I wouldn't take anything literally they say about the player market.

The Cowboys would be nuts to flick Drinkwater though, unless they know something we don't. He can cover the halves and fullback if any get injured, and the chances of that in a season are ~100%.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Yep, I wouldn't take anything literally they say about the player market.

The Cowboys would be nuts to flick Drinkwater though, unless they know something we don't. He can cover the halves and fullback if any get injured, and the chances of that in a season are ~100%.
Well they’re going to have to come up with spare cash soon to keep the dogs at bay from the boom young back rower. The pressure will mount. Choices choices 😂

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
They’re not all duds. Funny how big of a dud Dearden was until this season.
Tom was never a dud. We broke him somehow. Maybe we broke Coates as well.

How, is where the inquiry should head.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
They’re not all duds. Funny how big of a dud Dearden was until this season.
Who in our fullback stocks is not a dud?

I still think Herbie is our best choice and I think he can be good there. But it is an unknown.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
And also the players. It must be pretty disconcerting for a fullback to hear the admin say they're on the hunt for a fullback.
Definitely, young players don’t need the added pressure.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019

Was Coates injured last game? Or was he dropped?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Not really, he was showing the same passiveness and lack of kicking in 2019 before he even played NRL.

Broncos upheaval and coaching changes didn't help but he was showing it in ISC.

Went and watched Dearden today against the Bears. His defence was solid and the Bears tested him out. They deliberately ran their forwards wider trying to make him tackle. Page was standing a good three metres wider than normal running at the three and two in area. Page was a good test for him.

Dearden was very good at putting his body there. Arthars tested him early too and had two tries down his side in the first 10 minutes. He was probably too enthusiastic at times and would come up and in too much. Pauga was all lost out there and Dearden should have stayed with him.

Attack, he got in at dummy half a lot, set up on the left but Scarlett did all the kicking, he forced a repeat set at the end but probably needed a more attacking kick with two minutes left and down by eight.

Didn't run the ball a lot but directed and pointed a lot at what he wanted.

Defence I wouldn't be too worried about, I think he's shown more aptitude in defence in the ISC than attack. Peter Hola tried to kill him against the Pride and he stood up and got in there. Didn't miss a tackle and Hola made 183m rampaging over everyone else.

My observations have all been around attack which is strange for a young half.

When he does kick he kicks well, just put in a beautiful kick tonight for touch. Kicked a 50m penalty goal two weeks ago.

Doesn't kick enough.

Scarlett 74 kicks
Dearden 16

Dearden watch tonight v Pride from Cairns.

Again set up exclusively on the left. He shovelled it on too much. He threw a pass for Burns' first try on the short side. Scarlett is still the boss with kicking and play- Gibbie goes the right with Scarlett and he's their biggest weapon.

20 to go he steps through with a left foot step but got to the fullback, guys unmarked and went himself- came up with 0.

I'd like to see Dearden mix it up and get on the open with Gibbie and get a partnership going. Might come with confidence.

In defence he made a bad mistake just before half time, they came left and he came up timidly then planted his feet shuffled side ways and took no one really Murphy rolled it on and they scored in the corner.

Would have been good to see Clifford v Dearden- U18 half v U20 half but not to be tonight. Would have given a good reference point for Dearden.

In summary I'd like to see him own Wynnum- if he can't shark Scarlett and demand good ball then how is he going to do it in the NRL off Origin players?

Not kicking, passive, just shovelling it on- they all existed before he played for the Broncos.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
probably waiting for the cows to pay more of this years salary for drinkwater before we go sniffing

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Who in our fullback stocks is not a dud?

I still think Herbie is our best choice and I think he can be good there. But it is an unknown.
It's a tough drop-in role. How long would you give him to master the position at this level: longer than Jamayne; longer than Tesi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Gaz
  • KickHaas
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.