Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for Turpin starting the game (he just needs to work on his service) but it's hard to say when he should be replaced for the 'attacking' 9, all comes down to the game if we're winning possession and field position yeah 30 minutes is a good time but if we're camped down own our end and not the team on top no point bringing in a bloke who you want to bring some impact with his attacking. You want him on when we're the team on top and Turps can be the bloke to do the dirty work.
Another thing is the other bench forwards if guys like Ryan James are coming on and not making a big impact with their runs you can't have a 9 running off the back of that.. they want to be running after a Payne Haas run. Flegler will add some impact off the bench now though.
getting the right rotation is a bit of a head fck because there are so many factors to take into consideration to get the formula right.
It is a tricky balance but Turpin is part of the reason we get bogged down in our own end. We started to get a roll on once Billy came on. Our forwards can’t win the ruck because Jake looks directly at who he’s about to pass to, picks the ball up then stands up right, lobs it at our forwards’ eyebrows, and by the time they catch the ball the defence is in their face and they’re basically at a stand still.

I’d love someone to make a super cut of every time Reynolds got passed the ball. The service was so bad that he had to basically surrender with ball in hand and get smashed by defence.

It is a tricky balance but Turpin is part of the reason we get bogged down in our own end. We started to get a roll on once Billy came on. Our forwards can’t win the ruck because Jake looks directly at who he’s about to pass to, picks the ball up then stands up right, lobs it at our forwards’ eyebrows, and by the time they catch the ball the defence is in their face and they’re basically at a stand still.

I’d love someone to make a super cut of every time Reynolds got passed the ball. The service was so bad that he had to basically surrender with ball in hand and get smashed by defence.
I used to complain about exactly this with Macca. And here we are again.

Paix also isn’t an 80 minute hooker. Not even close, which is maybe why he wasn’t running because he knew he’d struggle to last the 80. It should just be Jake for 50 minutes over 2 stints and Paix sandwiched in the middle. If not Paix yet than the same goes for Billy.

Even if neither run; Paix has far better service
Agreed. Copy Canberra.
I'm all for Turpin starting the game (he just needs to work on his service) but it's hard to say when he should be replaced for the 'attacking' 9, all comes down to the game if we're winning possession and field position yeah 30 minutes is a good time but if we're camped down own our end and not the team on top no point bringing in a bloke who you want to bring some impact with his attacking. You want him on when we're the team on top and Turps can be the bloke to do the dirty work.
Another thing is the other bench forwards if guys like Ryan James are coming on and not making a big impact with their runs you can't have a 9 running off the back of that.. they want to be running after a Payne Haas run. Flegler will add some impact off the bench now though.
getting the right rotation is a bit of a head fck because there are so many factors to take into consideration to get the formula right.
Of course it comes down to how the interchange is used, unfortunately Kevvie has been pretty poor at using his changes.

Agreed. Copy Canberra.

Of course it comes down to how the interchange is used, unfortunately Kevvie has been pretty poor at using his changes.

Poor is being nice. Kevvie is absolutely atrocious at it.

Reactions: Gaz

Yeah that's why I said he needs to work on his service, I don't care if he doesn't run when he's out there aslong as he is getting the ball out of there quick and making his tackles to set a platform for whoever else to come on and be the attacking player.
I'm sure Reno would be sending a rocket up Jake and I'm hoping we see some improvement in that this week. Reynolds has been around long enough and played with some good 9s to know what's up

Yeah that's why I said he needs to work on his service, I don't care if he doesn't run when he's out there aslong as he is getting the ball out of there quick and making his tackles to set a platform for whoever else to come on and be the attacking player.
I'm sure Reno would be sending a rocket up Jake and I'm hoping we see some improvement in that this week. Reynolds has been around long enough and played with some good 9s to know what's up
The guy is 26 this year and been in first grade for half a decade. Bit late to be working on his service surely.

You check! You’re the one making the claim that no other club gives their hooker 2 stints.
I didn't say that it NEVER HAPPENS but the only instance I found last week was Chris Randall due to an HIA.

Apparently Reece Walsh has a get-out clause that allows him to break his contract for "welfare" reasons at the end of 2023, and the rumour being spread today is that he might try to trigger it sooner when the Warriors move back to Vodaphone. As in maybe even this year. Which cascades into the accompanying rumour that the Broncos are interested in taking him back. But the Dolphins are more likely to win a bidding war. And the Titans might also enter the conversation.

Warriors football chief Craig Hodges:

“The challenge for us will be keeping Reece. He hasn’t lived in New Zealand, so that will be a big move for him, but what I do know is that he is extremely happy at the Warriors and he feels like his game is developing here. We plan to keep him. I understand home is here in Queensland for him, so whether the Broncos or Dolphins are a chance to get him in two or three years’ time, I can’t worry too much about that. But any suggestion he is unhappy here is not true."​
“I’m confident Reece will stay. For some at guys at our club who haven’t lived in New Zealand, there is a bit of unknown about going back there, but I don’t believe it will be an issue for Reece. He has Kiwi heritage so it’s not the big deal people are making out."​
“We will finally get to play in front of our fans and supporters and Reece will enjoy it. There has been some disconnection, but moving back home will bring everything back together. Young people these days are bulletproof. They handle change so much easier than older people who are stuck in their ways. In reality, Auckland is no further away than Townsville, so Reece can jump on a plane and be back in Brisbane in a few hours to see his family.”​

Pat Carrigan:

“Reecey and I used to live together. He is my little mate. He is a classy little player. You always knew he was going to be a freak in the game. I’m excited to play him this week. It will feel like an old training run at Red Hill, but he is a massive part of what they are building at the Warriors. He might ask for overs to come back, he is a classy talent and when he comes off-contract, I’m sure there will be 16 NRL clubs chasing him."​
“I’m excited for what he is building for his young family at the Warriors, but I would love to play with Reece again one day. It was tough to see him leave, I knew how much he cared for the club, but in terms of the growth he has had as a footy player and learning off Roger, you can’t knock someone too much for taking those opportunities."​

“I stayed at the Broncos because guys like Sammy Thaiday and Cozza Parker were here to learn from and it was a drawcard for him to learn off Roger and play first grade. I’m glad I get to play him this week and hopefully we get to link up again one day.”​

Last year Walsh said:

“I feel pretty comfortable, I am not too fazed about where I live. The boys at the Warriors have been great support and the club has been excellent. The transition won’t be too hard at all. I was a bit scared at first to move. Being away from family was a bit daunting, but I know they will always be there and if I need anything they will be right there."​
“But that’s a part of growing up, you have to take the best opportunity for you and I feel that’s what I’ve done. As a kid I really wanted to put that Broncos jersey on. I remember when I was seven years old, I would run around with a Broncos jersey on wishing I could play for the Broncos. That’s something I always wanted to do and I thought I would do that, but an opportunity came up for me to go somewhere else and play NRL now against the best."​
“It’s nothing against the Broncos for me. They have played a major part in who I am as a player and person, so there’s no bad feelings. The opportunity to play first grade was the big thing. I had a talk with Browny and he laid it out, he said he wants me as his fullback. He said Roger is leaving and they won’t go out and look for anyone else if I commit to the club, so I took the chance.”​

McHunt

Apparently Reece Walsh has a get-out clause that allows him to break his contract for "welfare" reasons at the end of 2023, and the rumour being spread today is that he might try to trigger it sooner when the Warriors move back to Vodaphone. As in maybe even this year. Which cascades into the accompanying rumour that the Broncos are interested in taking him back. But the Dolphins are more likely to win a bidding war. And the Titans might also enter the conversation.

Warriors football chief Craig Hodges:

“The challenge for us will be keeping Reece. He hasn’t lived in New Zealand, so that will be a big move for him, but what I do know is that he is extremely happy at the Warriors and he feels like his game is developing here. We plan to keep him. I understand home is here in Queensland for him, so whether the Broncos or Dolphins are a chance to get him in two or three years’ time, I can’t worry too much about that. But any suggestion he is unhappy here is not true."​
“I’m confident Reece will stay. For some at guys at our club who haven’t lived in New Zealand, there is a bit of unknown about going back there, but I don’t believe it will be an issue for Reece. He has Kiwi heritage so it’s not the big deal people are making out."​
“We will finally get to play in front of our fans and supporters and Reece will enjoy it. There has been some disconnection, but moving back home will bring everything back together. Young people these days are bulletproof. They handle change so much easier than older people who are stuck in their ways. In reality, Auckland is no further away than Townsville, so Reece can jump on a plane and be back in Brisbane in a few hours to see his family.”​

Pat Carrigan:

“Reecey and I used to live together. He is my little mate. He is a classy little player. You always knew he was going to be a freak in the game. I’m excited to play him this week. It will feel like an old training run at Red Hill, but he is a massive part of what they are building at the Warriors. He might ask for overs to come back, he is a classy talent and when he comes off-contract, I’m sure there will be 16 NRL clubs chasing him."​
“I’m excited for what he is building for his young family at the Warriors, but I would love to play with Reece again one day. It was tough to see him leave, I knew how much he cared for the club, but in terms of the growth he has had as a footy player and learning off Roger, you can’t knock someone too much for taking those opportunities."​

“I stayed at the Broncos because guys like Sammy Thaiday and Cozza Parker were here to learn from and it was a drawcard for him to learn off Roger and play first grade. I’m glad I get to play him this week and hopefully we get to link up again one day.”​

Last year Walsh said:

“I feel pretty comfortable, I am not too fazed about where I live. The boys at the Warriors have been great support and the club has been excellent. The transition won’t be too hard at all. I was a bit scared at first to move. Being away from family was a bit daunting, but I know they will always be there and if I need anything they will be right there."​
“But that’s a part of growing up, you have to take the best opportunity for you and I feel that’s what I’ve done. As a kid I really wanted to put that Broncos jersey on. I remember when I was seven years old, I would run around with a Broncos jersey on wishing I could play for the Broncos. That’s something I always wanted to do and I thought I would do that, but an opportunity came up for me to go somewhere else and play NRL now against the best."​
“It’s nothing against the Broncos for me. They have played a major part in who I am as a player and person, so there’s no bad feelings. The opportunity to play first grade was the big thing. I had a talk with Browny and he laid it out, he said he wants me as his fullback. He said Roger is leaving and they won’t go out and look for anyone else if I commit to the club, so I took the chance.”​

McHunt
Carrigan wanted to stay and learn off Thaiday and Parker.

Walsh wanted to go to another country and learn off RTS. Hardly a glowing endorsement for Boyd and Isaako (and Lockyer for that matter).

Carrigan wanted to stay and learn off Thaiday and Parker.

Walsh wanted to go to another country and learn off RTS. Hardly a glowing endorsement for Boyd and Isaako (and Lockyer for that matter).
We should've punted Isaako to the Warriors at the time. Anyone could see that. He has family there. Everyone would've been happy.

I think we'll get Reece back it's a matter of not if but when.
For a kid that grew up on the Gold Coast I'd say NZ is a big difference in lifestyle I've heard a few times he's got a get out clause to remain in QLD so let's hope he's starting 23 with us.
Maybe the loan of Arthur's to the Warriors has more to it

I'm certainly not ready to black list Walsh completely... but I'd want to know he has matured considerably before offering him a contract.

I didn't (and still don't) like his entitled attitude from last season. His reluctance to develop in the ISC didn't sit well with me. I still think we made the right call on him.

I'm certainly not ready to black list Walsh completely... but I'd want to know he has matured considerably before offering him a contract.

I didn't (and still don't) like his entitled attitude from last season. His reluctance to develop in the ISC didn't sit well with me. I still think we made the right call on him.
think you're living in the past mate 95% of them have the same attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• kman
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.