Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that the Warriors apparently want to hold onto Jesse Arthars now, who we loaned to them for this year. He is still contracted to us for 2023.
It’ll be interesting to see how the Walsh situation plays out considering he has a clause. We released him when we had no obligation to, now they also want to keep Arthars…Yet I bet they will jump up and down if Walsh comes back here from 2023.

Walsh wanted to go to another country and learn off RTS. Hardly a glowing endorsement for Boyd and Isaako (and Lockyer for that matter).
Or Reece. All he had to do was play in cup long enough to a) shoe he could handle playing against men and b) do better than Isaako and instead he chose the easy option. He might be a good player but that was definitely not the attitude we needed in such a young team coming off a couple of seasons of floggings.

So here's my own rumour, apropos of nothing: Tyson Gamble to follow Jamayne out the door. If anyone wants him.

Storm have managed to re-sign Grant, Hughes and Coates until 2026.

I hate them so much but it’s hard not to be envious of their retention strategies.

Hoping we can emulate this now with DD on board… starting with Haas.

Also a pretty big blow for the dolphins to have those 3 off the table - think they’ll go extra hard at Ponga now.

Storm have managed to re-sign Grant, Hughes and Coates until 2026.

I hate them so much but it’s hard not to be envious of their retention strategies.

Hoping we can emulate this now with DD on board… starting with Haas.

Also a pretty big blow for the dolphins to have those 3 off the table - think they’ll go extra hard at Ponga now.

Envious of their two book system? I wish we would do the same.

Envious of their two book system? I wish we would do the same.
I have no doubt we have at times. Even recently we were about to be over the cap according to Kev.

Walters insists he doesn't regret not retaining Walsh, and talk of it is "garbage:"

““Not at all. We have any number of options at fullback and at the moment Tesi is our fullback. His work on the weekend against the Cowboys wasn’t at the level where we know he can play and Tesi is hurting as much as anyone. The opportunity is in front of Tesi to go out and play the football he is capable of.”

“Tesi has proven he can catch the high ball, it’s just a matter of going out there and doing it. The great Darren Lockyer spilt footballs, Darius Boyd has had knock-ons, all the great fullbacks drop balls. Tesi is working hard. He is continually out there catching high balls at training and he needs to continue to do that. He is certainly capable of playing fullback.”

“I heard some comments during the week that this is the Broncos of last year, I don’t go along with the garbage. We have to give the Cowboys some credit, they played really well and scoreboard pressure was the thing that hurt us. This is a new team here with new ideas and a new mindset on how they are playing. The blokes are hurting from last week and I’ve seen a good attitude from them this week. There will be some bumps in the road, but if we work hard, the results will come.”

McHunt

With Melbourne spending big on Grant and Hughes. It seems likely Munny is the odd man out.

Do the broncos make a play for him?

With Melbourne spending big on Grant and Hughes. It seems likely Munny is the odd man out.

No. We don't need that type of playmaker unless he comes as a fullback.

“If another Brisbane team comes in, I won’t say no to going back home,” Munster told News Corp. “I do see myself moving to Queensland after football and if a second Brisbane team comes in, I could go back earlier than expected. “I wouldn’t say no to that (joining a second Brisbane team) … for sure. “It is definitely something I am looking at … is coming home to Queensland.

“Look, if expansion never happened, I would finish my career at the Storm. “I do love Melbourne and I would have no issues whatsoever being a one-club man for the Storm. “But if the second Brisbane team sets the right culture and gets good people around the club, with a culture like the Storm, then I can’t see why I wouldn’t join them.”

Would love to hear what these options are exactly
I left this comment out of that piece, but I think maybe it's worth noting as more subtly damning than it appears at first glance:

Peter Badel:

"Quietly-spoken and 17cm shorter than Manly fullback rival Tom Trbojevic, there are fears the 177cm Niu lacks the vocal communication and height in aerial situations to be a long-term option in the Brisbane No.1 jumper."​
In other words, he's a silent passenger who can't contest the ball.
The only immediate options I can see are Herbie and Selwyn. Selwyn is notoriously shy and silent, which is fine as a reflection of his humility but it's a shithouse trait in a fullback. The opposite of Walsh, who is a cocky little prick who never shuts up, exactly what a dominant spine player should be.

Herbie's no shoegazer in interviews, but I'm not sure about on the field. He doesn't seem real chatty out there either.

Good luck finding these "options."

Walters insists he doesn't regret not retaining Walsh, and talk of it is "garbage:"

““Not at all. We have any number of options at fullback and at the moment Tesi is our fullback. His work on the weekend against the Cowboys wasn’t at the level where we know he can play and Tesi is hurting as much as anyone. The opportunity is in front of Tesi to go out and play the football he is capable of.”

“Tesi has proven he can catch the high ball, it’s just a matter of going out there and doing it. The great Darren Lockyer spilt footballs, Darius Boyd has had knock-ons, all the great fullbacks drop balls. Tesi is working hard. He is continually out there catching high balls at training and he needs to continue to do that. He is certainly capable of playing fullback.”

“I heard some comments during the week that this is the Broncos of last year, I don’t go along with the garbage. We have to give the Cowboys some credit, they played really well and scoreboard pressure was the thing that hurt us. This is a new team here with new ideas and a new mindset on how they are playing. The blokes are hurting from last week and I’ve seen a good attitude from them this week. There will be some bumps in the road, but if we work hard, the results will come.”

McHunt
Just because you have options Kevvie doesn't mean they are good options.

Interesting to see how the long the 'new team' mantra gets rolled out as an excuse for losses. I get that they have not played a lot in terms of all being on the same team but that is no different to any other team that has had player movement (so every team).

I really hope these kind of comments is just Kevvie's way of protecting the players...very Ricky Stuart at Canberra vibes otherwise

Don't think Munster is who we need tbh. And I'm not sure what else anyone expects Kevvie to say about our fullback stocks, who's going to say either "yeah we cocked up with Reece, should've kept him cos he's miles better than anyone we've got. Frankly I can't trust Tesi, he's in a slump and honestly speaking wasn't much chop to start with" or maybe "**** Reece, the impatient little ****. He's gunna run rings around the spud we've currently got out the back, if he'd stayed here we'd have had a lot more wins last season."

think you're living in the past mate 95% of them have the same attitude

Doesn't make it a good attitude to have... and certainly doesn't exist in the Storm and Roosters systems, and that's where we should be once again aiming to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• theshed
  • Manofoneway
  • Gaz
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Alec
  • HarryAllan7
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.