Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious what you might have against CNK? Think he instantly improves us defensively and he can do his part with ball in hand as well.
The games Ive watched him (one in Canberra) he seems hesitant , is mistake prone and not keen under the high ball.

The games Ive watched him (one in Canberra) he seems hesitant , is mistake prone and not keen under the high ball.
He is not been in great form for the first few games this year. Still finding his feet following his neck injury.

Might be an unpopular opinion but i think we need to he prepared to let Cobbo walk IF the dolphins are willing to pay top dollar for him. He seems like a good kid but at this stage, without knowing his ceiling and how green he still is we just can't afford to pay top dollar for him in the hope he's our saviour.

I'd be offering the warrior's Arthur's and if we cant keep Cobbo for for less then 300k let him go and throw what we can at getting Walsh back. At least we know he's ready and capable.

We just can't afford to splash the reported 700k other clubs would be "willing" to pay cobbo purely on ifs, buts, and maybe's. Unless he improves out of sight very soon 300k is all i'd be offering.
You’re 100% on the money imo.. the likes of Cobbo & Farnworth, as much as we like them and want them to stay, the fact is they’re accessories.

The omnipresent elephant in the room for the Broncos is the lack of quality in their ‘spine’, their KEY positions. Everyone else is just cream on the cake and should be considered as such.

There’s a bloke called Cameron Munster who is seemingly not going to be in Melbourne beyond his current deal.. while Wayne and the Dolphins are getting all distracted with Ponga, Ikin should be exploring all avenues to bring Munster here in 2024. Reece Walsh should be another top priority.

Why shouldn’t the Broncos be trying to run out in 2024 with a spine that includes Walsh, Munster and Reynolds ? If it means losing two or three of our current ‘wunderkinds’ then so be it..

You put a great ‘spine’ on the field and good things flow from that. The proof of that is right there in the top three or four teams in the NRL.

You’re 100% on the money imo.. the likes of Cobbo & Farnworth, as much as we like them and want them to stay, the fact is they’re accessories.

The omnipresent elephant in the room for the Broncos is the lack of quality in their ‘spine’, their KEY positions. Everyone else is just cream on the cake and should be considered as such.

There’s a bloke called Cameron Munster who is seemingly not going to be in Melbourne beyond his current deal.. while Wayne and the Dolphins are getting all distracted with Ponga, Ikin should be exploring all avenues to bring Munster here in 2024. Reece Walsh should be another top priority.

Why shouldn’t the Broncos be trying to run out in 2024 with a spine that includes Walsh, Munster and Reynolds ? If it means losing two or three of our current ‘wunderkinds’ then so be it..

You put a great ‘spine’ on the field and good things flow from that. The proof of that is right there in the top three or four teams in the NRL.

you think we have a problem keeping these young kids with minimal first grade experience from getting a big head and partying all the time… imagine Cam Munster in Brisbane on big money away from Bellamy. That’s a ticking time bomb.

you think we have a problem keeping these young kids with minimal first grade experience from getting a big head and partying all the time… imagine Cam Munster in Brisbane on big money away from Bellamy. That’s a ticking time bomb.
That’s a chance I’d be willing to take for a player of his capabilities and playing record.. Especially at 29 years of age.

Anyone seen the video doing the rounds of what appears to be a very drunk Albert Kelly getting his arse handed to him by someone?

Seeing Melbourne ultimately sign there big 3 in Hughes, Grant and Paps long term and possibly Munster as well has me wondering how we could better manage our cap.

Looking across the competition and the teams who are killing it are loaded in the key positions. Roosters have keary, walker and teddy, eels (currently) mosses, mahoney and gutho and the panthers have both state of origin halves.

Do we let who ever wants to take Hass's salary and baggage take him? Palm flegler off because he's a liability and see who wants to take staggs.

Then replace them with say walsh and Munster then complete the team with opacic type players, marty taupau and a another stock standard prop?

The more you look at successful teams the more i think its the only way to do it, stack the 1,6,7,9 as much possible and just throw in whoever else. We've had this supposed "gun" forward pack for so many years now and it's just not working for us.

We've had a team with Fifita and Hass in it get rolled constantly. TPJ, Hass and Carigian, every mix of these top forwards you can think of and apart from the odd game we really don't threaten.

I think its time for a change of team dynamics and how the cap is spread.

Seeing Melbourne ultimately sign there big 3 in Hughes, Grant and Paps long term and possibly Munster as well has me wondering how we could better manage our cap.

Looking across the competition and the teams who are killing it are loaded in the key positions. Roosters have keary, walker and teddy, eels (currently) mosses, mahoney and gutho and the panthers have both state of origin halves.

Do we let who ever wants to take Hass's salary and baggage take him? Palm flegler off because he's a liability and see who wants to take staggs.

Then replace them with say walsh and Munster then complete the team with opacic type players, marty taupau and a another stock standard prop?

The more you look at successful teams the more i think its the only way to do it, stack the 1,6,7,9 as much possible and just throw in whoever else. We've had this supposed "gun" forward pack for so many years now and it's just not working for us.

We've had a team with Fifita and Hass in it get rolled constantly. TPJ, Hass and Carigian, every mix of these top forwards you can think of and apart from the odd game we really don't threaten.

This is the way, but they can’t scout core players worth a damn.

For me its all about systems and gameplan. Storm have attacking a defensive systems that they practice and execute. They know how to structure their sets and how to mix it up and they are perfectionists when it comes to defensive technique and subtlety. I go to storm games and if you watch them warm up you can see they have a plan and nothing happens by accident. Yes, they also have gun players in key positions and toilers around them to do a specific job in a well designed system.

We have no attacking structure nor defensive line speed. We can sign the best players in the world but it won't fix these problems. The reason that average players go to another level at the storm is their systems and their unwavering requirement that players perform their required role. When you take them out if the system they are just as talented but don't get the opportunities. Look at Addo Carr this year.

Also, there is nobody in the Broncos that I would pay to go and watch if I was a neutral supporter let alone the boring style of football. Kevin has fixed the cap issues he inherited and improved the effort in the squad which the first 2 wins show that but the gamplan and systems are still unaddressed.

For me its all about systems and gameplan. Storm have attacking a defensive systems that they practice and execute. They know how to structure their sets and how to mix it up and they are perfectionists when it comes to defensive technique and subtlety. I go to storm games and if you watch them warm up you can see they have a plan and nothing happens by accident. Yes, they also have gun players in key positions and toilers around them to do a specific job in a well designed system.

We have no attacking structure nor defensive line speed. We can sign the best players in the world but it won't fix these problems. The reason that average players go to another level at the storm is their systems and their unwavering requirement that players perform their required role. When you take them out if the system they are just as talented but don't get the opportunities. Look at Addo Carr this year.

Also, there is nobody in the Broncos that I would pay to go and watch if I was a neutral supporter let alone the boring style of football. Kevin has fixed the cap issues he inherited and improved the effort in the squad which the first 2 wins show that but the gamplan and systems are still unaddressed.
Exactly this. Storm, roosters, penrith and now sharks have very basic and effective attacking and defending strategies/structures. They give most players very simple instructions and jobs and leave calling of plays to the players with greater game IQ. You often see grant, hughes, munster and papenhuyzen talking/making calls to each other/planning when forwards are taking hit ups. When was the last time you saw our spine talk to eachpther during the play.

Take olam for example. Doesnt have great ball skills, foot work or lateral movement so he is given simple instructions to run his instructed lines, take hit ups in their end and push up hard in defence.

Looking at coates, he still has the occasional misread in defence but because of Melbourne's line speed the half does not have sufficient time to take full advantage. Coates did not take hit ups often, and when he did was always pushed back because he ran upright with a high centre of gravity. Now he gets involved and runs with a lower centre of gravity when taking hit ups. Simple instructions that are followed.

Exactly this. Storm, roosters, penrith and now sharks have very basic and effective attacking and defending strategies/structures. They give most players very simple instructions and jobs and leave calling of plays to the players with greater game IQ. You often see grant, hughes, munster and papenhuyzen talking/making calls to each other/planning when forwards are taking hit ups. When was the last time you saw our spine talk to eachpther during the play.

Take olam for example. Doesnt have great ball skills, foot work or lateral movement so he is given simple instructions to run his instructed lines, take hit ups in their end and push up hard in defence.

Looking at coates, he still has the occasional misread in defence but because of Melbourne's line speed the half does not have sufficient time to take full advantage. Coates did not take hit ups often, and when he did was always pushed back because he ran upright with a high centre of gravity. Now he gets involved and runs with a lower centre of gravity when taking hit ups. Simple instructions that are followed.
Exactly this. How does no one in our coaching staff see glaringly obvious shit or maybe worse, see it but don't know how to coach it out of players.

Their literal job is to help players be better but since Bennett left has any player actually improved other than organically? There's a few like Herbie and Haas who have genuinely got better but it's pure hard work by them.

Why hasn't Haas been taught an offload, why aren't we using him close to the line with some sleight of hand from Turpin, why aren't we telling Tesi to push up with Carrigan ready for an offload, who's running decoys in attack, why isn't Staggs roaming centrefield in the opposition 20, there's just so much wrong.

We are genuinely horribly coached.

I was impressed/interested to find out when Fitzgibbon decided Hynes might be his half and if he should target him he wanted to be so thorough that he went back and watched all his Mackay and Sunshine Coast games just to make sure that he was the man they wanted and to see exactly what he can and can't do.

He wanted to make sure he would be able to carry out his plan and his decision making ability.

Nice attention to detail.

I was impressed/interested to find out when Fitzgibbon decided Hynes might be his half and if he should target him he wanted to be so thorough that he went back and watched all his Mackay and Sunshine Coast games just to make sure that he was the man they wanted and to see exactly what he can and can't do.

He wanted to make sure he would be able to carry out his plan and his decision making ability.

Nice attention to detail.
Have the Broncos EVER had this kind of attention to detail ?

I'm on board for doing anything to get Walsh back as fullback. I'd sacrifice a Herbie or Cobbo (of course Niu) to make it happen.

Get the quartet of Walters, Ikin, Dave and Reynolds to meet with him, blow whatever smoke they need to up his derriere and say we are looking at you as a 10 year fullback and someone to build our attack around.

I'd have a nibble at Kodi as well to see if he is interested in being the 6 (internally until a better option comes around - Mam ready?)

We are pissing into the wind at the moment hoping a Grant/Ponga/Munster etc comes our way.

I'd feel much more comfortable rolling out this backline next year than the current one.

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Lee/Hoeter
4. Staggs
5. Pereira/Mead
6. Nikorima
7. Reynolds

I'm on board for doing anything to get Walsh back as fullback. I'd sacrifice a Herbie or Cobbo (of course Niu) to make it happen.

Get the quartet of Walters, Ikin, Dave and Reynolds to meet with him, blow whatever smoke they need to up his derriere and say we are looking at you as a 10 year fullback and someone to build our attack around.

I'd have a nibble at Kodi as well to see if he is interested in being the 6 (internally until a better option comes around - Mam ready?)

We are pissing into the wind at the moment hoping a Grant/Ponga/Munster etc comes our way.

I'd feel much more comfortable rolling out this backline next year than the current one.

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Lee/Hoeter
4. Staggs
5. Pereira/Mead
6. Nikorima
7. Reynolds
Nikorima would be an absolute attacking gun next to reynolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncoscope
  • Morepudding
  • Justwin
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • mieko
  • sooticus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  • Turks85
  • Galah
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.