Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I really rate Dufty, I'd easily spend $600k on him, which is a big deal, as I don't even run an NRL club.
:happy: Still never found out what the supposed rumours were about him that made him unattractive to other clubs.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
:happy: Still never found out what the supposed rumours were about him that made him unattractive to other clubs.
I told everyone. Shit attitude, is disliked by most of his team mates, thinks he deserves to be paid more and makes it known. Just rubs everyone the wrong way.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
What is this talk of Dufty? If we want a Dugan/Dufty style fullback who has no ball playing, fit, fast and runs hard, we already have Herbie.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
What is this talk of Dufty? If we want a Dugan/Dufty style fullback who has no ball playing, fit, fast and runs hard, we already have Herbie.
No ball play? You have not been watching his games then.

He has really good ball skills, a wicked cut out pass and ices the 3 on 2, and 4 on 3s which none of our current options can do.

Perhaps the experience of very few clubs being interested last year has adjusted the sense of entitlement/opinion of himself?

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
No ball play? You have not been watching his games then.

He has really good ball skills, a wicked cut out pass and ices the 3 on 2, and 4 on 3s which none of our current options can do.

Perhaps the experience of very few clubs being interested last year has adjusted the sense of entitlement/opinion of himself?
He has a wicked cut out pass. It just often finds the sideline or the ground. Dufty couldn't ice a drink, that's why the Dragons didn't want him, and the Dogs probably won't resign him.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
He has a wicked cut out pass. It just often finds the sideline or the ground. Dufty couldn't ice a drink, that's why the Dragons didn't want him, and the Dogs probably won't resign him.
No you are exactly right, we should persist with nui who appears well out of his depth or throw cobbo in there too soon and make sure we destroy his development (I.e like so many others we have).

As I stated in a previous post, we are not an attractive club for players anymore. We will either have to pay overs for proven players at successful clubs, identify and poach players behind established players (and given our poor recent history of being able to do this i have my doubts), poach decent players from poorer performing clubs (which are few and far between) or make a few gambles.

As he would come at a low wage, I would be thinking he is a low risk potentially high reward interim player that will provide time for our long term options to develop.

I would also expect he has made fewer errors than our existing options too.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
No you are exactly right, we should persist with nui who appears well out of his depth or throw cobbo in there too soon and make sure we destroy his development (I.e like so many others we have).

As I stated in a previous post, we are not an attractive club for players anymore. We will either have to pay overs for proven players at successful clubs, identify and poach players behind established players (and given our poor recent history of being able to do this i have my doubts), poach decent players from poorer performing clubs (which are few and far between) or make a few gambles.

As he would come at a low wage, I would be thinking he is a low risk potentially high reward interim player that will provide time for our long term options to develop.

I would also expect he has made fewer errors than our existing options too.
Never said we should persist with Niu. I said if we want a player like Dufty, we already have Herbie. How is that statement in any way saying we should persist with Niu?

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
We should pick up Scott Drinkwater. I think he'd be relatively cheap at the moment. He'd complement Adam Reynolds in the spine regardless of whether he plays fullback or 6. Not sure if everyone remembers how well Reynolds and Keary played together (Souths won the comp).. I think it would be similar to that.

Drinkwater doesn't get along that well with Todd Payten from what I've seen. I think it'd be a completely different story with Kev. Broncos could probably get the best out of Drinky.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Never said we should persist with Niu. I said if we want a player like Dufty, we already have Herbie. How is that statement in any way saying we should persist with Niu?
Because my original post started with if nui, cobbo, herbie (whether we will not trial him there or the dolphins poach him) or potential contract breakers are not viable we could explore dufty.

I would probably prefer herbie too, but my suggestion was put forth as a hypothetical contingency if that was not an option

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
We should pick up Scott Drinkwater. I think he'd be relatively cheap at the moment. He'd complement Adam Reynolds in the spine regardless of whether he plays fullback or 6. Not sure if everyone remembers how well Reynolds and Keary played together (Souths won the comp).. I think it would be similar to that.

Drinkwater doesn't get along that well with Todd Payten from what I've seen. I think it'd be a completely different story with Kev. Broncos could probably get the best out of Drinky.
Would have been much easier to sign him when he was sitting in reserve grade. Now he is up in first grade for Hammer.
Because my original post started with if nui, cobbo, herbie (whether we will not trial him there or the dolphins poach him) or potential contract breakers are not viable we could explore dufty.

I would probably prefer herbie too, but my suggestion was put forth as a hypothetical contingency if that was not an option
Did I quote your original post? I don't recall seeing you talking about Herbie.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Would have been much easier to sign him when he was sitting in reserve grade. Now he is up in first grade for Hammer.

Hammer is only out for a few weeks. This could be a good form of trial period for Drinkwater to impress us.

I'd really like the signing if it happened.

L

Locky888

QCup Player
Aug 28, 2015
First and foremost if we want to attract players we need a new coach that players want to play for. Kevvie just doesn't cut the mustard. No player is gonna go out of his way to take unders and play for Kev like they did during WB's era. Broncos should entice a Cameron Smith or Billy Slater as assistant coach and groom them to become the next head coach in 2 years time. They are the ex-players the next gen rugby players grew up admiring and wanting to play for.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019

Oh ok, sorry, next time you respond to something I write I will make sure that I check with you which posts of mine you did not read (in the same thread) and make sure you are fully informed. I forgot that it was my job to do that.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Hammer is only out for a few weeks. This could be a good form of trial period for Drinkwater to impress us.

I'd really like the signing if it happened.
I think everyone excluding the people who make the decisions think Drinkwater would imrpove the side.
Oh ok, sorry, next time you respond to something I write I will make sure that I check with you which posts of mine you did not read (in the same thread) and make sure you are fully informed. I forgot that it was my job to do that.
Nah no need to check with me. Just look at what I posted, see which posts I quoted, and don't assume I'm talking about posts I didn't quote or mention :)

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
First and foremost if we want to attract players we need a new coach that players want to play for. Kevvie just doesn't cut the mustard. No player is gonna go out of his way to take unders and play for Kev like they did during WB's era. Broncos should entice a Cameron Smith or Billy Slater as assistant coach and groom them to become the next head coach in 2 years time. They are the ex-players the next gen rugby players grew up admiring and wanting to play for.
Exactly this!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Big Del
  • bert_lifts
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mister Wright
  • Santa
  • Griffo
  • GCBRONCO
  • thenry
  • Galah
  • leon.bott
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.