Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
We should bring Hunt home to play 9. Last year of his deal is next year. Might be able to get a release if we take some of that contact off dragons. He's 32 now. 2-3 year retirement deal...back where it all began.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
We should pick up Scott Drinkwater. I think he'd be relatively cheap at the moment. He'd complement Adam Reynolds in the spine regardless of whether he plays fullback or 6. Not sure if everyone remembers how well Reynolds and Keary played together (Souths won the comp).. I think it would be similar to that.

Drinkwater doesn't get along that well with Todd Payten from what I've seen. I think it'd be a completely different story with Kev. Broncos could probably get the best out of Drinky.
i think 6 if we get him but in saying that it would be between him and walsh, i don't think both in the same team would work

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
We should bring Hunt home to play 9. Last year of his deal is next year. Might be able to get a release if we take some of that contact off dragons. He's 32 now. 2-3 year retirement deal...back where it all began.
I get the feeling he hates playing 9. Doubt he'd finish his career there.

i think 6 if we get him but in saying that it would be between him and walsh, i don't think both in the same team would work
Yeah.. I'm not confident we'll ever see Walsh back at the Broncos anyway.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
He has said he doesn't want to play 9, he considers himself a 7.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
1. Lachlan Coote

2. Selwyn Cobbo

3. Delouise Hoeter

4. Kotoni Staggs

5. Jordan Pereira

6. Scott Drinkwater

7. Adam Reynolds

8. Payne Haas

9. Matt Parcell

10. Patrick Carrigan

11. Kurt Capewell

12. Rhyse Martin

13. Kobe Hetherington

We just need a few simple signings and tweaks to turn into a top 8 side.

Yes, we'd have to release some players we may want to keep like Herbie and Niu.. But honestly... I don't care if we lose them if it means we can form a more balanced side that will compete every week in the immediate future (2023)

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
1. Lachlan Coote

2. Selwyn Cobbo

3. Delouise Hoeter

4. Kotoni Staggs

5. Jordan Pereira

6. Scott Drinkwater

7. Adam Reynolds

8. Payne Haas

9. Matt Parcell

10. Patrick Carrigan

11. Kurt Capewell

12. Rhyse Martin

13. Kobe Hetherington

Yes, we'd have to release some players we may want to keep like Herbie and Niu.. But honestly... I don't care if we lose them if it means we can form a more balanced side that will compete every week in the immediate future (2023)
And if you're wondering if Lachlan Coote still has got what it takes.. The answer is he's got enough of what we need..

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
And if you're wondering if Lachlan Coote still has got what it takes.. The answer is he's got enough of what we need..

I’m not in love with the idea but I’d happily give up Niu for Coote. He could at least show Cobbo a few things.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I’m not in love with the idea but I’d happily give up Niu for Coote. He could at least show Cobbo a few things.
Yep.. I think our side needs more leaders in the spine.. Plus I think he would form a great combination with Reynolds.. Our backline movements would not be clunky with Drinkwater and Coote continuing the play after receiving the ball from Reynolds.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
If you want an older head fullback from superleague then it would be Tomkins by a long way. Coote been a fair way off the other fullbacks so far. Jai Field at Wigan has been the standout, along with Lolohea surprisingly.

Welsby, who is the reason St Helens got rid of Coote, is probably the best performing English fullback in the comp right now.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
1. Lachlan Coote

2. Selwyn Cobbo

3. Delouise Hoeter

4. Kotoni Staggs

5. Jordan Pereira

6. Scott Drinkwater

7. Adam Reynolds

8. Payne Haas

9. Matt Parcell

10. Patrick Carrigan

11. Kurt Capewell

12. Rhyse Martin

13. Kobe Hetherington

This isn't one of your worst ideas to be honest. I would preferably go with some different players but the same idea. We need to copy the Brisbane Lions model where they had they had some young guns coming through but they also knew two things: 1. They weren't quite ready, 2. They needed some guidance from experienced heads. So they bought in the likes of Birchall, Hodge, CEY, Lyons, even Robinson and some bargain blokes with injury histories but undoubted talent and mentally strong to push trough those injuries in McCarthy, Cockatoo and Ah Chee.

Not all of them worked out but most of them did. I feel like we should be looking for guys who could do the same (which to be honest last year we did with James, Jensen, Walters and Lee) but you know, play them.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If you want an older head fullback from superleague then it would be Tomkins by a long way. Coote been a fair way off the other fullbacks so far. Jai Field at Wigan has been the standout, along with Lolohea surprisingly.

Welsby, who is the reason St Helens got rid of Coote, is probably the best performing English fullback in the comp right now.

I'd take the punt on Field, he's been electric.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I'd take the punt on Field, he's been electric.

In a lot of ways, he is playing like Dufty when he is on his game. Not big on playmaking, but his running game has been sensational.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
This isn't one of your worst ideas to be honest. I would preferably go with some different players but the same idea. We need to copy the Brisbane Lions model where they had they had some young guns coming through but they also knew two things: 1. They weren't quite ready, 2. They needed some guidance from experienced heads. So they bought in the likes of Birchall, Hodge, CEY, Lyons, even Robinson and some bargain blokes with injury histories but undoubted talent and mentally strong to push trough those injuries in McCarthy, Cockatoo and Ah Chee.

Not all of them worked out but most of them did. I feel like we should be looking for guys who could do the same (which to be honest last year we did with James, Jensen, Walters and Lee) but you know, play them.
James, Jensen, Lee.. They’re not really guys that will change the dynamic of a team..

We need some quality and experience where it matters, and that is in the spine. Adam Reynolds can’t do it all himself.

The dynamics of the team on and off the field would be flipped around for the better if we signed the likes of Coote, Drinkwater and Parcell..

Rhyse Martin seems like he’s the missing puzzle piece in our forward pack. Someone the team can lean on in tough games. He’ll pull through with a big run to inspire the side etc etc. He’s solid.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
James, Jensen, Lee.. They’re not really guys that will change the dynamic of a team..

We need some quality and experience where it matters, and that is in the spine. Adam Reynolds can’t do it all himself.

The dynamics of the team on and off the field would be flipped around for the better if we signed the likes of Coote, Drinkwater and Parcell..

Rhyse Martin seems like he’s the missing puzzle piece in our forward pack. Someone the team can lean on in tough games. He’ll pull through with a big run to inspire the side etc etc. He’s solid.

Leeds are a mess and they are where they are because their players collapse under pressure ( sounds familiar ) Martin included. Apart from Matt Prior, not one of their imports is standing up to be counted. They had better hope Flanagan can turn things around if he goes there because that squad has so much quality yet they are gutless. I think the term i heard their fans calling most of their forward pack was plodders.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Leeds are a mess and they are where they are because their players collapse under pressure ( sounds familiar ) Martin included. Apart from Matt Prior, not one of their imports is standing up to be counted. They had better hope Flanagan can turn things around if he goes there because that squad has so much quality yet they are gutless. I think the term i heard their fans calling most of their forward pack was plodders.
Hmm yeah maybe a bit rough for overseas imports due to the pandemic etc. Bring them home haha.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Hmm yeah maybe a bit rough for overseas imports due to the pandemic etc. Bring them home haha.

They have been terrible. Teams like Leeds look to get good value out of their imports to compete. Fusitu'a, Martin, Tetevano, have been very poor, with Sezer and Austin being absolutely terrible. Prior is still a workhorse but you can tell he is on the decline. I can actually see them getting relegated if things dont change.

Apparently they are talking about bringing in Flanagan and his son, but they need to offload a player because they are at their overseas quota.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Brent Tate:

“I think there is bigger issues at the Broncos. I picked it up in the trial match against the Cowboys in Mackay in their final hitout before the season started. The Cowboys towelled them up and towelled them up really well. I saw some things in the Broncos’ game that I had some real red flags about and I think it has carried into the season. I know they won their first two, but I would be really surprised if they aren’t 2-8 after 10 rounds. I just think they are in huge trouble.”​
“I heard during the week they spoke about that they were not going to go to market, which I find is a funny one. I don’t think they have an established No.9. I don’t think Tesi Niu is a fullback at all. They let Jamayne Isaako go to the Titans. I’m just not real sure on the plan at the Broncos at the moment and where they are going."​
“I can’t see them winning a game in the next few weeks. I know they have got the Bulldogs which is probably a game they could win, but there is certainly a real test coming up for the Broncos the next few weeks.”​
“One of the things I always hear out of Brisbane is how good their juniors are coming through and how much investment they have always made in them. But I really must admit I don’t think I have seen those juniors really come through and be really dominant players in the NRL. I think we have heard it for the last few years that they have great players coming through, but I’m just not seeing it at the moment.”​
“I know Pat Carrigan has come back and played really well and obviously Payne Haas has come through the system. But they let go a player like Tom Dearden and they buy Albert Kelly at the back end of his career."​
“There has got to be some questions asked around some of the recruitment decisions like that for sure. They have said they are not going to market next year so that means they are happy with the roster they have got."​
“I think they need a No.9 or someone else in the halves to help Adam Reynolds. I think Reynolds needs someone to play with.​
“I genuinely think they need a fullback. Selwyn Cobbo I have a huge wrap on, but he is still a couple of years away from being a genuine fullback for them week in and week out. They are two positions I think they really need to look at hooker and fullback or someone in the halves to help Adam Reynolds. That’s where I would be targeting.”​

McHunt

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
They have been terrible. Teams like Leeds look to get good value out of their imports to compete. Fusitu'a, Martin, Tetevano, have been very poor, with Sezer and Austin being absolutely terrible. Prior is still a workhorse but you can tell he is on the decline. I can actually see them getting relegated if things dont change.

Apparently they are talking about bringing in Flanagan and his son, but they need to offload a player because they are at their overseas quota.
Yeah I wouldn't have expected Tetevano or Fusitua to be standouts.

At least if Martin is playing average he'd be cheaper to sign. I have a soft spot for Austin.. Maybe he could make a good backrower instead of a 6. ( I believe he was a backrower as a junior )

I swear I heard this double flanno idea is getting tossed up by Wests Tigers too.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Redfern_1980
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • Lurker
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • marw
  • Mick_Hancock
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.