Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
100%. I think the only chance of Herbie staying - and the Broncos being able to justify his pay-grade - is if he can tie down fullback. He might even be a better goalkicker than Reynolds but no one seems to value that.

Everyone seems to assume the position's earmarked for Selwyn, but he's a long way from earning it.
Cobbo needs to play Centre for at least a year maybe two, he’s not a winger for shit, looked much better at centre last year. If he makes it to fb it need to be the latrell route.

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
100%. I think the only chance of Herbie staying - and the Broncos being able to justify his pay-grade - is if he can tie down fullback. He might even be a better goalkicker than Reynolds but no one seems to value that.

Everyone seems to assume the position's earmarked for Selwyn, but he's a long way from earning it.
The wedge them all in line-up

1 herbie
3 cobbo
4 mariner
6 staggs ( providing he sorts his shit out)

Do we have any wingers coming through?

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I think Herbie and his manager did the right thing by holding off contract negotiations for the first month of the season. Backing Herbie to improve his form. Which he did.

Herbie's value has rocketed. He's been one of the top five players at the club over the last month. Which, at his current price, makes him something of a bargain. We should enjoy that while it lasts.

Regardless of whether Herbie wants to stay or the Broncos want to keep him, we can't really afford to pay his street value now. We already have an expensive centre. It's dubious moneyball to splash out on two. Not with Deine Mariner on his way up, and Brenko standing by to warm his seat. Both contracted next season.

So Wayne gets to win in two ways: he nabs a strike centre who's not only at the top of his game but potentially on the rise, and he gets to kick the Broncos right in the nuts. Herbie wins by getting a pay bump, and playing on his preferred side of the field. He has to leave if Wayne offers him more money. We have to let him go, and wish him well.

In short, even if we have the cash to retain Herbie it doesn't seem like the right place to spend it. I think he's gone.
The solution is simple you play Herbie at fullback which was his prefered position a few years ago it may still be at the moment.. you start him there now and put time into him, his improvement over the last few seasons shows he is worth putting the time into because obviously has the worth ethic, he wants to learn and is coachable.
He's NRL standard currently and on the rise, Mariner is a schoolboy star but there is no guarantee that's going to convert into a NRL star not anytime soon anyway.
The good sides in the competition don't let their quality proven players go for unproven potential they accommodate and make it work.
Give Herbie a contract on centre money and tell him you'll get a upgrade if you can prove you can become our long term fullback.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The solution is simple you play Herbie at fullback which was his prefered position a few years ago it may still be at the moment.. you start him there now and put time into him, his improvement over the last few seasons shows he is worth putting the time into because obviously has the worth ethic, he wants to learn and is coachable.
He's NRL standard currently and on the rise, Mariner is a schoolboy star but there is no guarantee that's going to convert into a NRL star not anytime soon anyway.
The good sides in the competition don't let their quality proven players go for unproven potential they accommodate and make it work.
Give Herbie a contract on centre money and tell him you'll get a upgrade if you can prove you can become our long term fullback.
Sometimes you just can't afford to keep everyone. That's how we won Israel Folau. That's how we lost Reece Walsh.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Sometimes you just can't afford to keep everyone. That's how we won Israel Folau. That's how we lost Reece Walsh.
I highly doubt he's asking for big money otherwise he would of chased that in 2020 when he had all the different codes chasing him.
Reece wasn't a money thing and Melbourne could afford to let Israel go if they had the money or not, they weren't lacking in quality first grade players

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I highly doubt he's asking for big money otherwise he would of chased that in 2020 when he had all the different codes chasing him.
Reece wasn't a money thing and Melbourne could afford to let Israel go if they had the money or not, they weren't lacking in quality first grade players
um pretty sure reece was a money thing, at least that's what 1910 said.
And has Herbie actually played much fullback?

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah, unfortunately Tesi just may not fit into our best 17 in the future the way the squad is panning out.

I’d be hesitant to release him before trialling him at 6 (but we have Mam we need to play soon) or back at centre again. He was busting a lot of tackles when he started the season at centre last year, I remember thinking he didn’t deserve to get dropped so soon.

I don’t want to lose Farnworth, but he is looking the most likely seeing as he’s not signed past this year. I’d gladly hand over Staggs.. He’s a great talent but he’s taking up the most cap space and I think he could use a change of scenery. He should go to a Sydney club and aim to play for NSW.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Cobbo needs to play Centre for at least a year maybe two, he’s not a winger for shit, looked much better at centre last year. If he makes it to fb it need to be the latrell route.
He did look good at centre.. His tackling was actually impressive from memory. I think playing centre could be good for him because he wouldn’t have to worry about the frantic nature of catching high balls and using all his energy on kick returns.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
um pretty sure reece was a money thing, at least that's what 1910 said.
And has Herbie actually played much fullback?
I remember early on in Tedesco’s career everyone’s main criticism of his game was that he lacked the passing game that the elite fullbacks possess. What Tedesco did have was a bunch of energy and the commitment/determination/drive to improve his skills. Oh and an awesome running/support game.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I still dont get to this day what anyone saw in Tesi. When you looked past his flashy plays when he was much younger, he had so many flaws yet some people on here were convinced he was going to be a superstar and now i feel Cobbo is getting pulled into the same trap. Both need game time and to learn their trade in Queensland cup. Neither are ready yet, especially in this side. Just because Cobbo has had some good spells in Qcup and First grade doesnt mean he should play every week.

I long for the days when players here had to earn a spot. We need to show a bit of backbone even if we lose these players and make them prove themselves. Its pretty rare you get one that can successfully bypass QCUP. If its good enough for the likes of Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk, its should be good enough for youngsters here.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I still dont get to this day what anyone saw in Tesi. When you looked past his flashy plays when he was much younger, he had so many flaws yet some people on here were convinced he was going to be a superstar and now i feel Cobbo is getting pulled into the same trap. Both need game time and to learn their trade in Queensland cup. Neither are ready yet, especially in this side. Just because Cobbo has had some good spells in Qcup and First grade doesnt mean he should play every week.

I long for the days when players here had to earn a spot. We need to show a bit of backbone even if we lose these players and make them prove themselves. Its pretty rare you get one that can successfully bypass QCUP. If its good enough for the likes of Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk, its should be good enough for youngsters here.
Well I can say I was surprised when Brenko Lee and Pereira weren’t in the round 1 side. Thought they were some of the best players in the trials.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
The wedge them all in line-up

1 herbie
3 cobbo
4 mariner
6 staggs ( providing he sorts his shit out)

Do we have any wingers coming through?

I really hope this is the strategy the Broncos are working too, even getting Staggs into the backrow if necessary. The 1, 3, 4, seem a no brainer and hopefully the 6 becomes Mam.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Well I can say I was surprised when Brenko Lee and Pereira weren’t in the round 1 side. Thought they were some of the best players in the trials.

I can see why they werent. Lee is a right sided player, and so is Kotoni. Pereira played right side for us and thats where Cobbo is. Kevvie wasnt going to drop either ( although he should now ). I think they did well enough to be in contention and when you look at it they havent really been close. Lee has only got in really because of injury.

And on a side note, when you look at it, it seems a bit silly to have recruited both Hoeter and Lee who are both predominantly right sided centers. We really need to start looking at this sort of thing when we recruit because if Herbie goes down ( another player who prefers the right side ) we will again be putting somebody in a position that isnt on their natural side.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I can see why they werent. Lee is a right sided player, and so is Kotoni. Pereira played right side for us and thats where Cobbo is. Kevvie wasnt going to drop either ( although he should now ). I think they did well enough to be in contention and when you look at it they havent really been close. Lee has only got in really because of injury.

And on a side note, when you look at it, it seems a bit silly to have recruited both Hoeter and Lee who are both predominantly right sided centers. We really need to start looking at this sort of thing when we recruit because if Herbie goes down ( another player who prefers the right side ) we will again be putting somebody in a position that isnt on their natural side.

Lack of attention to detail defines the modern day Broncos.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I really hope this is the strategy the Broncos are working too, even getting Staggs into the backrow if necessary. The 1, 3, 4, seem a no brainer and hopefully the 6 becomes Mam.

Tbh, at this moment in time i think it would be disastrous. Be nice in some ways if we could get Cobbo, Mam and Paix all playing ISC in the same side. Be nice to see Mariner in there as well but its probably a pipe dream and not going to happen.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Tbh, at this moment in time i think it would be disastrous. Be nice in some ways if we could get Cobbo, Mam and Paix all playing ISC in the same side. Be nice to see Mariner in there as well but its probably a pipe dream and not going to happen.

Absolutely not right now but I guess I still live in a dream world where the Broncos are professionally run and have plans for player transition.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I remember early on in Tedesco’s career everyone’s main criticism of his game was that he lacked the passing game that the elite fullbacks possess. What Tedesco did have was a bunch of energy and the commitment/determination/drive to improve his skills. Oh and an awesome running/support game.
yes but he was always a fullback, pretty sure Herbie has been mostly wing.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

But that's what we tried to do. Dearden was not ready for first grade and Kev knew it. Kev wanted him to see out the year in QCup to develop. Kev's hand was forced and he was given a chance to prove he was ready, he failed dismally. The Cowboys offered him a starting spot and he was gone. The Broncos didn't bother making an offer as he was always going there, he was just trying to use us to jack up the Cowboys offer.

Walsh was very similar. Even now he has some massive flaws that should have been ironed out in the lower grades first, but again, someone offered him a starting spot and a fistfull of cash, he took it.

We ARE trying the "make them prove themselves" road, and the fuckers just leave for an immediate starting spot or quick cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • the_next
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • jd87
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.