Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
But that's what we tried to do. Dearden was not ready for first grade and Kev knew it. Kev wanted him to see out the year in QCup to develop. Kev's hand was forced and he was given a chance to prove he was ready, he failed dismally. The Cowboys offered him a starting spot and he was gone. The Broncos didn't bother making an offer as he was always going there, he was just trying to use us to jack up the Cowboys offer.

Walsh was very similar. Even now he has some massive flaws that should have been ironed out in the lower grades first, but again, someone offered him a starting spot and a fistfull of cash, he took it.

We ARE trying the "make them prove themselves" road, and the fuckers just leave for an immediate starting spot or quick cash.

I honestly cant remember if Kevvie got forced into the Dearden situation.

I think whether we like it or not, we have to stand firm and if we lose players so be it. We have to get out development back on track. I dont disagree with you, they are leaving for the money but a bit like in Melbourne, if our system was a bit stronger maybe they would be patient. Too many just dont want to learn their trade, they just want to jump straight to the NRL.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
um pretty sure reece was a money thing, at least that's what 1910 said.
And has Herbie actually played much fullback?
I don't think many people on here would of seen him play fullback so it's pretty much a unknown.. what I've found online which isn't much to go off but coming through the juniors his favoured position was fullback, he played for England 16s against France at Fullback and apparently his defence was superb making a few try saving tackles and a game saving tackle in the first game, MOTM and 2 tries in the second game.
So possibly played fullback over in England and when he would come over here and play he'd be on the wing.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013

I think whether we like it or not, we have to stand firm and if we lose players so be it. We have to get out development back on track. I dont disagree with you, they are leaving for the money but a bit like in Melbourne, if our system was a bit stronger maybe they would be patient. Too many just dont want to learn their trade, they just want to jump straight to the NRL.

This might work if the NRL system was strong, like the Storm. Players know Bellamy will get the best out of them. But that's not our system. We won the spoon 2 years ago and have a long way to go to even be competitive. Even the most diehard fans are (fairly) questioning the club and particularly coaching staff. You've seen the team the past 2 weeks - no cohesion, no structure, they look unfit again suddenly, no-one knows what to do when they have the ball except fucking drop it.

Until we fix the top grade side, players aren't going to want to stay. While that pisses me off no end, I don't blame them either. Why the **** would they stay??

Hoshsie

Hoshsie

NYC Player
Apr 6, 2022
Just do whatever it takes to sign a good fullback and hooker and if we are lucky a decent five eighth, I couldn’t care less about the current blokes in those positions, Give Haas what he wants so he can stay and keep capewell, carrigan, there is your core forward pack that you can build on
than tell the rest of the mob to **** off, use there pay checks to wank off to Walsh’s management

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

If that is the case then, Cobbo and Niu at an absolute minimum should be playing Cup. I don't think Niu is a danger of being poached but I can absolutely see a club offering Cobbo a Walsh deal with a guaranteed starting spot and half a million dollars. So we're damned if we do, damned if we don't - put them in too early and hinder their development, or just simply lose them altogether.

And while, yes, I see the problem with the club's recent performance being off-putting, is anyone actually sitting down with these players (I'm talking Ikin here) to outline that we do have a plan to fight out of the mess? Which involves no silly player-option contracts on big dollars (allowing the team to have a balanced squad under the cap), and clear pathways to first grade via proper development? It's in the player's best interests to develop properly too, not just the clubs.

This is where player agents would be fucking us too, they don't give a **** about development, they want the most dollars as soon as possible, of course they'll be telling the players to jump at the first dumb offer thrown their way. We need to get them on board as well, tip them off on whatever lucrative 3rd party offers are out there to keep the vultures fed.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
If that is the case then, Cobbo and Niu at an absolute minimum should be playing Cup. I don't think Niu is a danger of being poached but I can absolutely see a club offering Cobbo a Walsh deal with a guaranteed starting spot and half a million dollars. So we're damned if we do, damned if we don't - put them in too early and hinder their development, or just simply lose them altogether.

And while, yes, I see the problem with the club's recent performance being off-putting, is anyone actually sitting down with these players (I'm talking Ikin here) to outline that we do have a plan to fight out of the mess? Which involves no silly player-option contracts on big dollars (allowing the team to have a balanced squad under the cap), and clear pathways to first grade via proper development? It's in the player's best interests to develop properly too, not just the clubs.

This is where player agents would be fucking us too, they don't give a **** about development, they want the most dollars as soon as possible, of course they'll be telling the players to jump at the first dumb offer thrown their way. We need to get them on board as well, tip them off on whatever lucrative 3rd party offers are out there to keep the vultures fed.

The only way the NRL can fix things with younger players i reckon is cap their salary say in their first 2 years of first grade depending on appearances. Not sure how practical that would be, but at least then you arent going to be able to have another club offereing huge salaries to tempt them away.

All we can do is currently is get our own house in order and stick to our guns with these players. They either commit to our system or they dont. Long term, i think its the way to go still but we will lose players.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
The only way the NRL can fix things with younger players i reckon is cap their salary say in their first 2 years of first grade depending on appearances. Not sure how practical that would be, but at least then you arent going to be able to have another club offereing huge salaries to tempt them away.

All we can do is currently is get our own house in order and stick to our guns with these players. They either commit to our system or they dont. Long term, i think its the way to go still but we will lose players.
I think capping their salary might be condoned as a restriction of trade. However, if it was slightly amended to say the NRL agreed limit is x amount - say $300K but that the club (if able) can add up to a further $200k to this total, and that will not be counted towards the salary cap. The clubs are able to do this with five nominated developing players. Of course this will slightly favour the richer clubs, but shouldn't that be acceptable for the supporters who can't abide mediocrity.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think capping their salary might be condoned as a restriction of trade. However, if it was slightly amended to say the NRL agreed limit is x amount - say $300K but that the club (if able) can add up to a further $200k to this total, and that will not be counted towards the salary cap. The clubs are able to do this with five nominated developing players. Of course this will slightly favour the richer clubs, but shouldn't that be acceptable for the supporters who can't abide mediocrity.
Possibly you are right. I wouldnt have a clue how to work this mess out.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
@Wolfie mate, I hate to quote the fat cockroach, but the answer might be a pineapple.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

A salary cap could also be considered a restraint of trade ... it's just that it's never been challenged in court

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
A salary cap could also be considered a restraint of trade ... it's just that it's never been challenged in court
I thought it was many years ago and failed? I might be mixing it up with the draft challenge which was successful though.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016

Nope, they are adults with free will. They can make the choices they like and are entitled to take whatever money is thrown their way.

There's no point trying to control the market like that.. The Broncos need to look within and make the club an environment players want to stay at..

We've definitely improved since Ikin and Donaghy got to the club.. Hopefully that continues..

To be honest, I'm not sure why they aren't making moves to lure Munster to the club.. If anyone is worth chasing... It's probably Munster..

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Nope, they are adults with free will. They can make the choices they like and are entitled to take whatever money is thrown their way.

There's no point trying to control the market like that.. The Broncos need to look within and make the club an environment players want to stay at.. lol

We've definitely improved since Ikin and Donaghy got to the club.. Hopefully that continues..

To be honest, I'm not sure why they aren't making moves to lure Munster to the club.. If anyone is worth chasing... It's probably Munster..

And if there is any player who won't go to the Broncos...its definitely Munster.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
And if there is any player who won't go to the Broncos...its definitely Munster.
Hahaha does he have something against the club? Playing in the halves with Adam Reynolds wouldn't be a horrible experience

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
He hates the Broncos mate.
Oh okay, I'll believe ya.

I'm keen for Mam to play anyway.. It's just getting frustrating that we keep waiting for these guys to be ready and then we release/lose them.

I know everyone on this forum waited a long time for Dearden to get to first grade for Broncos.. He's having a pretty good season at Cows now.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

There's no point trying to control the market like that.. The Broncos need to look within and make the club an environment players want to stay at..

The market is already controlled. Its called a salary cap. The system is broken, has been for a long time regarding younger players and their development. Its not just the Broncos who suffer. Its going to take the Broncos years to fix this up.

The attitude of they are adults with free will and are entitled to take the money while is right in this market, and its good for the player, is clearly a hugely flawed system. Thats why we and other clubs are losing players. A short term limit on younger players contracts, say for the first 2 years in first grade or make it appearance based, would put every club on an even footing to develop players at the start of their careers. At the moment, you can throw big money at players who have achieved nothing.

While these young players might take a financial hit if they cant get over inflated contracts at a young age, It will be more beneficial for their overall development generally and the game overall. I know of so many of these younger guys we have had at the Broncos who are so entitled its not funny. Its no wonder we stink so badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Aldo
  • thenry
  • Harry Sack
  • Maroon4life
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.