Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Why? Did Broncos not offer him a deal when he was young, and he's bitter?
Every interview I see with him he always says he would return to Brisbane if they had a second team……he doesn’t actually say he hates us but it’s very easy to read between the lines.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The market is already controlled. Its called a salary cap. The system is broken, has been for a long time regarding younger players and their development. Its not just the Broncos who suffer. Its going to take the Broncos years to fix this up.

The attitude of they are adults with free will and are entitled to take the money while is right in this market, and its good for the player, is clearly a hugely flawed system. Thats why we and other clubs are losing players. A short term limit on younger players contracts, say for the first 2 years in first grade or make it appearance based, would put every club on an even footing to develop players at the start of their careers. At the moment, you can throw big money at players who have achieved nothing.

While these young players might take a financial hit if they cant get over inflated contracts at a young age, It will be more beneficial for their overall development generally and the game overall. I know of so many of these younger guys we have had at the Broncos who are so entitled its not funny. Its no wonder we stink so badly.
It’s why I kind of respect what Hook is doing. He has banked on older reliable players rather than spending big on youth. He’s done it in his own cooked Hook kinda way so it’s just resulting and middling performances but the concept is positive.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
The market is already controlled. Its called a salary cap. The system is broken, has been for a long time regarding younger players and their development. Its not just the Broncos who suffer. Its going to take the Broncos years to fix this up.

The attitude of they are adults with free will and are entitled to take the money while is right in this market, and its good for the player, is clearly a hugely flawed system. Thats why we and other clubs are losing players. A short term limit on younger players contracts, say for the first 2 years in first grade or make it appearance based, would put every club on an even footing to develop players at the start of their careers. At the moment, you can throw big money at players who have achieved nothing.

While these young players might take a financial hit if they cant get over inflated contracts at a young age, It will be more beneficial for their overall development generally and the game overall. I know of so many of these younger guys we have had at the Broncos who are so entitled its not funny. Its no wonder we stink so badly.
I'm not 100% sure of how this process works within NRL clubs but my best guess is that a lot of it is driven by the coach and the respect that he is held in along with the other officials in the football program.

The evidence of that is how a lot of great young talents at Melbourne have been convinced to buy-in, play the long game through lower grades and develop optimally for first grade.

Craig Bellamy & Frank Ponissi outlaying a two or three year plan for a youngster to best develop themselves must sound a lot different to a Kevin Walters (and formerly Peter Nolan) doing likewise.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016

I think your logic is a bit flawed.

Broncos can poach as many players as they lose. It's not an unfair system.. The Broncos just suck at working within the system.

A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay them. The size of contract is between the club and the player and noone else.

porouian

porouian

QCup Player
Mar 10, 2008
@upthebroncs was it you that was calling for us to sign Rhyse Martin last year or maybe the year before? I just remember someone in here going on about him a bit. If so, I admire your persistence and consistency mate!

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
@upthebroncs was it you that was calling for us to sign Rhyse Martin last year or maybe the year before? I just remember someone in here going on about him a bit. If so, I admire your persistence and consistency mate!
Hahah yeah, I've been saying it since he was at the Dogs. I like him, he's good. He is a Queenslander too.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think your logic is a bit flawed.

Broncos can poach as many players as they lose. It's not an unfair system.. The Broncos just suck at working within the system.

A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay them. The size of contract is between the club and the player and noone else.
Mine is spot on. Of course the system is unfair if one club develops and another club can just walk in and offer stupid money to take them away. It's not about player movement in general, which i have always said is fine, it's about having a system that let's a club initially develop a player for a couple of years knowing they won't have to fight off other clubs in that period. Everyone is on a level playing field, they are all paid the same. It's good for clubs that actually want to develop players.

Your theory is just a mess for clubs that want to develop players. It's not a productive system if you want a more even competition when some clubs don't develop like others do. We might as well just scrap the salary cap and have a system like in the premier lwague in England where the rich dominate.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I'm not 100% sure of how this process works within NRL clubs but my best guess is that a lot of it is driven by the coach and the respect that he is held in along with the other officials in the football program.

The evidence of that is how a lot of great young talents at Melbourne have been convinced to buy-in, play the long game through lower grades and develop optimally for first grade.

Craig Bellamy & Frank Ponissi outlaying a two or three year plan for a youngster to best develop themselves must sound a lot different to a Kevin Walters (and formerly Peter Nolan) doing likewise.
I just want to see a level playing field for every club in that first 2 years of having a young player in your system. After that, I think it's back to the normal contract shenanigans. There is no reward for developing over poaching imo.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Thinking about it, the system we probably need to use is similar to the one they use in English football where the young players they have coming through their system do actually sign a 2 year deal. After that initial deal, they then go on to sign contracts that can be negotiated. Clubs can still poach them, but they have to compensate the club they poach them from. You then dont restrict trade.

There probably isnt an ideal system that makes everyone happy, there are always going to be some winners and losers, but i do feel that gives teams a chance.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
It’s why I kind of respect what Hook is doing. He has banked on older reliable players rather than spending big on youth. He’s done it in his own cooked Hook kinda way so it’s just resulting and middling performances but the concept is positive.

That's all well and good until their contract expires and the Dragons then have to pay 100% of their contract.

That's what is going on with Jack Bird, he signed a 4 year deal with us at roughly a 1 mill a year, I believe this is the last year of that deal, the Dragons will be paying some of his contract but so will we (who knows what the split is).

The Dragons have a few players like that where other clubs are paying for them to be there.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
That's all well and good until their contract expires and the Dragons then have to pay 100% of their contract.

That's what is going on with Jack Bird, he signed a 4 year deal with us at roughly a 1 mill a year, I believe this is the last year of that deal, the Dragons will be paying some of his contract but so will we (who knows what the split is).

The Dragons have a few players like that where other clubs are paying for them to be there.
I think Bird's deal with the Broncos finished last year (18,19,20,21)

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I think Bird's deal with the Broncos finished last year (18,19,20,21)

So he signed a 1 year deal with St George?

Plenty of talk about his contract going forward, can only assume he's coming off contract

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Why? Did Broncos not offer him a deal when he was young, and he's bitter?

Basically. The story goes something like he was a massive Broncos fan growing up but always got overlooked until he had made it or looked like he was going to make it at the Storm. Brisbane then came in with a lowish offer and he told them to go jump and has hated the club ever since.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Basically. The story goes something like he was a massive Broncos fan growing up but always got overlooked until he had made it or looked like he was going to make it at the Storm. Brisbane then came in with a lowish offer and he told them to go jump and has hated the club ever since.
Ok so basically just bitterness.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
A salary cap could also be considered a restraint of trade ... it's just that it's never been challenged in court

Yes it has .
Terry Hill killed the salary cap in the courts .

By the end of 1991 the High Court had overturned the draft system and in 1992 Hill was given a release and he was able to move on to Western Suburbs Magpies.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Hill

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Yes it has .
Terry Hill killed the salary cap in the courts .

By the end of 1991 the High Court had overturned the draft system and in 1992 Hill was given a release and he was able to move on to Western Suburbs Magpies.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Hill
I’m not sure why any broncos fan would be in favour of a draft. Wouldn’t that just mean we’d lose even more local talent?

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I’m not sure why any broncos fan would be in favour of a draft. Wouldn’t that just mean we’d lose even more local talent?

Win the spoon = 1st pick in the draft .
Then you have bottom 4 teams deliberately trying to come last .

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
My 2023 side. This might make some people mad.

All new players are available to sign for next year.

I think if we start paying Haas 1 mil a year, we could be doomed. I'd rather buy 2 or 3 decent and experienced props with that cash. Sign them for a few years while Willison and Te Kura come through. I'm sick of Flegler, we should release him to the Dolphins or something.. He's on way too much coin.

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Selwyn Cobbo
4. Brenko Lee
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Scott Drinkwater
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Martin Taupau
9. Matt Parcell
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Kurt Capewell
12. Rhyse Martin
13. Patrick Carrigan
17. Xavier Willison

18. Brendan Piakura
19. Jordan Riki
20. TC Robati
21. Delouise Hoeter
23. Tyson Gamble
24. Ben Te Kura
25. Ezra Mam
26. Billy Walters
27. Deine Mariner
28. Luke Bateman
29. Billy Walters
30. Eddie Blacker

Losses:
  • Thomas Flegler
  • Tesi Niu
  • Kotoni Staggs
  • Corey Oates
  • Ryan James
  • Albert Kelly
  • Jesse Arthars
  • David Mead
  • Jake Turpin
  • Keenan Palasia
  • Payne Haas
  • Rhys Kennedy
  • Tyrone Roberts
  • Corey Jensen

Gains:
  • Lachlan Coote
  • Scott Drinkwater
  • Matt Parcell
  • Rhyse Martin
  • Eddie Blacker
  • Martin Taupau
  • Siosiua Taukeiaho
  • Braden Hamlin-Uele
  • Luke Bateman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • Aldo
  • FACTHUNT
  • leon.bott
  • TimWhatley
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Fozz
  • Tim K
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.