Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Brent Tate:

“I think there is bigger issues at the Broncos. I picked it up in the trial match against the Cowboys in Mackay in their final hitout before the season started. The Cowboys towelled them up and towelled them up really well. I saw some things in the Broncos’ game that I had some real red flags about and I think it has carried into the season. I know they won their first two, but I would be really surprised if they aren’t 2-8 after 10 rounds. I just think they are in huge trouble.”​
“I heard during the week they spoke about that they were not going to go to market, which I find is a funny one. I don’t think they have an established No.9. I don’t think Tesi Niu is a fullback at all. They let Jamayne Isaako go to the Titans. I’m just not real sure on the plan at the Broncos at the moment and where they are going."​
“I can’t see them winning a game in the next few weeks. I know they have got the Bulldogs which is probably a game they could win, but there is certainly a real test coming up for the Broncos the next few weeks.”​
“One of the things I always hear out of Brisbane is how good their juniors are coming through and how much investment they have always made in them. But I really must admit I don’t think I have seen those juniors really come through and be really dominant players in the NRL. I think we have heard it for the last few years that they have great players coming through, but I’m just not seeing it at the moment.”​
“I know Pat Carrigan has come back and played really well and obviously Payne Haas has come through the system. But they let go a player like Tom Dearden and they buy Albert Kelly at the back end of his career."​
“There has got to be some questions asked around some of the recruitment decisions like that for sure. They have said they are not going to market next year so that means they are happy with the roster they have got."​
“I think they need a No.9 or someone else in the halves to help Adam Reynolds. I think Reynolds needs someone to play with.​
“I genuinely think they need a fullback. Selwyn Cobbo I have a huge wrap on, but he is still a couple of years away from being a genuine fullback for them week in and week out. They are two positions I think they really need to look at hooker and fullback or someone in the halves to help Adam Reynolds. That’s where I would be targeting.”​

McHunt
Brent Tate and I are in sync.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Tate speaks mostly truth but he is another of our former players that shits me to tears when i hear him speak or commentate on us. If you were new to the game you would think he had a disaster season at the Broncos before becoming a Cowboy for life

Glad he picked it up in the trial game but had to wait until we lost 2 in a row and some negative media before he jumps on board...thanks Brent

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
1. Lachlan Coote

2. Selwyn Cobbo

3. Delouise Hoeter

4. Kotoni Staggs

5. Jordan Pereira

6. Scott Drinkwater

7. Adam Reynolds

8. Payne Haas

9. Matt Parcell

10. Patrick Carrigan

11. Kurt Capewell

12. Rhyse Martin

13. Kobe Hetherington

We just need a few simple signings and tweaks to turn into a top 8 side.

Yes, we'd have to release some players we may want to keep like Herbie and Niu.. But honestly... I don't care if we lose them if it means we can form a more balanced side that will compete every week in the immediate future (2023)
If you want players that compete every week you are definitely not releasing Herbie

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
If you want players that compete every week you are definitely not releasing Herbie
Yeah mate, I agree. I just think he's one of the most likely to get poached by Bennett and the Dolphins next year. To be honest, I'd release Staggs before I'd release Herbie.. But, Staggs is signed after this year and Herbie is not.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Tate stating the obvious that everyone can see. Thing that annoys me is all this bullshit talk that we let Walker leave. We didnt. He chose to leave, nothing we could do to stop him going if thats what he wanted. Same as Fifita.

The biggest shit show imo is the faith that have put in Tesi. Its not his fault, and a bit like Dearden i think he was thrust in way too soon. I think they bought into the hype over him. It was the same on here. People who had barely seen him play were all in on him being this gun fullback. People who had seen a fair bit of him had always had doubts about him. He is miles out of his depth.

If i was Donaghy and Ikin i would be looking at how we are developing players. We have no issues finding talent, we seem to have an issue turning them into good NRL players.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Tate stating the obvious that everyone can see. Thing that annoys me is all this bullshit talk that we let Walker leave. We didnt. He chose to leave, nothing we could do to stop him going if thats what he wanted. Same as Fifita.

The biggest shit show imo is the faith that have put in Tesi. Its not his fault, and a bit like Dearden i think he was thrust in way too soon. I think they bought into the hype over him. It was the same on here. People who had barely seen him play were all in on him being this gun fullback. People who had seen a fair bit of him had always had doubts about him. He is miles out of his depth.

If i was Donaghy and Ikin i would be looking at how we are developing players. We have no issues finding talent, we seem to have an issue turning them into good NRL players.
All the good ones get pinched though, I think that adds to the rushing problem. They get high praise from the media because they’re a broncos prospect, teams come sniffing, the player themselves start to rate themselves higher then they should, the agents start asking around, It just snowballs from there. We can’t do a proper development path because they’ll just leave.

We need a really good coach and assistance who players will wait to play for.
**** I hope the brass up top can get a clear plan to go forward with.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
All the good ones get pinched though, I think that adds to the rushing problem. They get high praise from the media because they’re a broncos prospect, teams come sniffing, the player themselves start to rate themselves higher then they should, the agents start asking around, It just snowballs from there. We can’t do a proper development path because they’ll just leave.

We need a really good coach and assistance who players will wait to play for.
**** I hope the brass up top can get a clear plan to go forward with.
They have been getting taken, but maybe that is just dumping on how we have been doing things, I don't know. I said it a while ago but we just have to do things the right way and if we lose players, we lose them. Eventually though if we are going about things better I think long term we will come out on top.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Does it absolutely infuriate anyone else that Brent Tate is always billed on Fox Sports and in the media as ‘Cowboys Legend’?

He was a Broncos legend for many years before he had a retirement tour up in Townsville.

I still remember one year the Baby Broncos we’re playing Manly without all our senior players except for Tatey for some reason. Young Berrick Barnes was our half and his game plan for the entire match was to just ‘pass it to Brent’ and hope he did something. Tate scored a brilliant solo try and threatened to score the match winner late too but we couldn’t quite pull it out.

What I wouldn’t give to have a Tate in our backline nowadays…. Or a Berrick Barnes for that matter!

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
They have been getting taken, but maybe that is just dumping on how we have been doing things, I don't know. I said it a while ago but we just have to do things the right way and if we lose players, we lose them. Eventually though if we are going about things better I think long term we will come out on top.
I agree it definitely has something to do with how we’re doing things.
I also think it’s who we’re scouting, look how many we’ve lost who have actually turned out to be great players.
We need to change how we scout players, It has been trash for 20 years.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah mate, I agree. I just think he's one of the most likely to get poached by Bennett and the Dolphins next year. To be honest, I'd release Staggs before I'd release Herbie.. But, Staggs is signed after this year and Herbie is not.
I think Herbie and his manager did the right thing by holding off contract negotiations for the first month of the season. Backing Herbie to improve his form. Which he did.

Herbie's value has rocketed. He's been one of the top five players at the club over the last month. Which, at his current price, makes him something of a bargain. We should enjoy that while it lasts.

Regardless of whether Herbie wants to stay or the Broncos want to keep him, we can't really afford to pay his street value now. We already have an expensive centre. It's dubious moneyball to splash out on two. Not with Deine Mariner on his way up, and Brenko standing by to warm his seat. Both contracted next season.

So Wayne gets to win in two ways: he nabs a strike centre who's not only at the top of his game but potentially on the rise, and he gets to kick the Broncos right in the nuts. Herbie wins by getting a pay bump, and playing on his preferred side of the field. He has to leave if Wayne offers him more money. We have to let him go, and wish him well.

In short, even if we have the cash to retain Herbie it doesn't seem like the right place to spend it. I think he's gone.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I agree it definitely has something to do with how we’re doing things.
I also think it’s who we’re scouting, look how many we’ve lost who have actually turned out to be great players.
We need to change how we scout players, It has been trash for 20 years.

Its fairly easy to ruin a players development by throwing him into a bad situation or putting him into the side before he is ready. We have got good at doing both.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
I think Herbie and his manager did the right thing by holding off contract negotiations for the first month of the season. Backing Herbie to improve his form. Which he did.

Herbie's value has rocketed. He's been one of the top five players at the club over the last month. Which, at his current price, makes him something of a bargain. We should enjoy that while it lasts.

Regardless of whether Herbie wants to stay or the Broncos want to keep him, we can't really afford to pay his street value now. We already have an expensive centre. It's dubious moneyball to splash out on two. Not with Deine Mariner on his way up, and Brenko standing by to warm his seat. Both contracted next season.

So Wayne gets to win in two ways: he nabs a strike centre who's not only at the top of his game but potentially on the rise, and he gets to kick the Broncos right in the nuts. Herbie wins by getting a pay bump, and playing on his preferred side of the field. He has to leave if Wayne offers him more money.

In short, even if we have the cash to retain Herbie it doesn't seem like the right place to spend it. I think he's gone.
This is why I’m desperate to see how he goes at fb, mariner is coming up, we’re stuck with staags “he’ll come good” if Herbie can do the job at the back then hip hip hooray.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016

So Wayne gets to win in two ways: he nabs a strike centre who's not only at the top of his game but potentially on the rise, and he gets to kick the Broncos right in the nuts. Herbie wins by getting a pay bump, and playing on his preferred side of the field. He has to leave if Wayne offers him more money. We have to let him go, and wish him well.

This is pretty much what I think happens. Unfortunately, if Broncos do stop Bennett from poaching Herbie then Bennett will just go for another one of our young guns. We basically have to sacrifice someone.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Its fairly easy to ruin a players development by throwing him into a bad situation or putting him into the side before he is ready. We have got good at doing both.
Again that takes me back to my first point about players being poached before we can develop them “time” needed to ease the process.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
This is pretty much what I think happens. Unfortunately, if Broncos do stop Bennett from poaching Herbie then Bennett will just go for another one of our young guns. We basically have to sacrifice someone.
Tesi

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
This is why I’m desperate to see how he goes at fb, mariner is coming up, we’re stuck with staags “he’ll come good” if Herbie can do the job at the back then hip hip hooray.
100%. I think the only chance of Herbie staying - and the Broncos being able to justify his pay-grade - is if he can tie down fullback. He might even be a better goalkicker than Reynolds but no one seems to value that.

Everyone seems to assume the position's earmarked for Selwyn, but he's a long way from earning it.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Brent Tate:

“I think there is bigger issues at the Broncos. I picked it up in the trial match against the Cowboys in Mackay in their final hitout before the season started. The Cowboys towelled them up and towelled them up really well. I saw some things in the Broncos’ game that I had some real red flags about and I think it has carried into the season. I know they won their first two, but I would be really surprised if they aren’t 2-8 after 10 rounds. I just think they are in huge trouble.”​
“I heard during the week they spoke about that they were not going to go to market, which I find is a funny one. I don’t think they have an established No.9. I don’t think Tesi Niu is a fullback at all. They let Jamayne Isaako go to the Titans. I’m just not real sure on the plan at the Broncos at the moment and where they are going."​
“I can’t see them winning a game in the next few weeks. I know they have got the Bulldogs which is probably a game they could win, but there is certainly a real test coming up for the Broncos the next few weeks.”​
“One of the things I always hear out of Brisbane is how good their juniors are coming through and how much investment they have always made in them. But I really must admit I don’t think I have seen those juniors really come through and be really dominant players in the NRL. I think we have heard it for the last few years that they have great players coming through, but I’m just not seeing it at the moment.”​
“I know Pat Carrigan has come back and played really well and obviously Payne Haas has come through the system. But they let go a player like Tom Dearden and they buy Albert Kelly at the back end of his career."​
“There has got to be some questions asked around some of the recruitment decisions like that for sure. They have said they are not going to market next year so that means they are happy with the roster they have got."​
“I think they need a No.9 or someone else in the halves to help Adam Reynolds. I think Reynolds needs someone to play with.​
“I genuinely think they need a fullback. Selwyn Cobbo I have a huge wrap on, but he is still a couple of years away from being a genuine fullback for them week in and week out. They are two positions I think they really need to look at hooker and fullback or someone in the halves to help Adam Reynolds. That’s where I would be targeting.”​

McHunt
Completely right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Mustafur
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Morkel
  • Johnny92
  • Midean
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • BruiserMk1
  • GCBRONCO
  • Behind enemy lines
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • kiwibronco
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.