Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Did you watch that attempt on Aitken from Drinkwater? Its why he isnt in first grade. His defence is absolutely trash.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Did you watch that attempt on Aitken from Drinkwater? Its why he isnt in first grade. His defence is absolutely trash.
I saw a great pass that put Aitken in clean air from 5m out... didn't bother watching if the fullback could tackle him after that, because if someone's in that much space that close to the line... it wouldn't matter who was back there

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I saw a great pass that put Aitken in clean air from 5m out... didn't bother watching if the fullback could tackle him after that, because if someone's in that much space that close to the line... it wouldn't matter who was back there
Then you watch Walsh who slipped over when Holmes scored yet picked himself up and had a decent crack at trying to hold him up. The elite fullback give a better account of themselves in that situation

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Herbie has apparently signed with the Dolphins, announcement imminent (cooling off period).

Don’t hate on me if it isn’t true. Just the rumour popping up everywhere at the moment.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Another one who we just start seeing results, heads off somewhere else.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Yeah I am just really starting to love Herbie and it’s a difficult one to swallow but I think the reality is we will be grateful 18 months from now not having almost 1.5 million tied up in centres. A real shame he is the culprit of the mismanagement we have had for some years now but I think it’s a case of he will always be looking over his shoulder waiting for Deine to come pip him whilst he probably wants to stay job security a presumed pay rise and an opportunity to get around a good coach and a nice core of older experienced players could be what he wants and needs from his career. Definitely wouldn’t be disappointed to see that these rumours aren’t true.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Would be extremely disappointing to lose Herbie, but this is what the R&R team have to do.

There is a backlog in our backline and we aren't the rorters to be able to pay them all, so the difficult decisions have to be made.

At the moment we have Cobbo, Staggs and Deine coming through and only 2 center spots up for grabs, if we could keep him for $350k or so to be the left winger then I think that would be good business. Cobbo looks destined to move to fullback so he gets retained as a spine player.

If that is the plan then I would want to be moving Deine to the left side in ISC now... to give him a few years to learn the position down there. We also have Brenko next year to cover left center in the mean time.

Next interesting decision is what happens with Oates... a lot could come down to how is body holds up, because I'm not certain if I'd be keen to give him a 3yr deal. He's definitely looking at a pay cut, but Dolphins might come in hard and give him a 3yr $300k deal... I wouldn't want the broncos offering that kind of deal.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Would be extremely disappointing to lose Herbie, but this is what the R&R team have to do.

There is a backlog in our backline and we aren't the rorters to be able to pay them all, so the difficult decisions have to be made.

At the moment we have Cobbo, Staggs and Deine coming through and only 2 center spots up for grabs, if we could keep him for $350k or so to be the left winger then I think that would be good business. Cobbo looks destined to move to fullback so he gets retained as a spine player.

If that is the plan then I would want to be moving Deine to the left side in ISC now... to give him a few years to learn the position down there. We also have Brenko next year to cover left center in the mean time.

Next interesting decision is what happens with Oates... a lot could come down to how is body holds up, because I'm not certain if I'd be keen to give him a 3yr deal. He's definitely looking at a pay cut, but Dolphins might come in hard and give him a 3yr $300k deal... I wouldn't want the broncos offering that kind of deal.
The issue is Herbie has just become a solid first grader and will now be moving on with the hopes the next hyped young guy reaches his ceiling. Mariner is years behind Herbie as far as development goes. We seem to perpetually in a state of blooding young players.

If both Herbie and Oates go I would prefer we went to market and got an established player who will bring experience and consistency. Brenko is almost this guy but he’s probably a level below what you want in the first 17.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The issue is Herbie has just become a solid first grader and will now be moving on with the hopes the next hyped young guy reaches his ceiling. Mariner is years behind Herbie as far as development goes. We seem to perpetually in a state of blooding young players.

If both Herbie and Oates go I would prefer we went to market and got an established player who will bring experience and consistency. Brenko is almost this guy but he’s probably a level below what you want in the first 17.

WE probably will want to recruit a center who is comfortable playing left side.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

We kind of have to be in that mode at the moment because our cap is all over the shop with too much investment in support players.

We can't be offering Herbie $450k-$500k, Staggs $650k, Oates $300k, Cobbo $350k and then still want Deine coming through and potentially looking for $250k or so in a couple years.

That is way too much money in the backline and zero in the spine. The R&R team have to make these decisions and unfortunately Herbie and Oates may be the ones to make way.

I think Brenko can cover left center and Pereira as wing depth as well, but I would want some back up... and not just assuming Deine can be the back up, so I would want them to go to market as well.

Not necessarily needing a superstar signing, just a guy that can be a starter if needed, but won't look like a roadblock if we do have a stud young gun coming through.

If we do lose Herbie and Oates... then I'm sure as shit not wanting to lose Arthars to warriors as well... he's a bit of a utility back where he can cover wing, center and fullback.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
The turnover and lack of consistency with the roster and positions has absolutely contributed to the shit show on the field.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Kinda hope we grab Tom Oppa on the cheap and splash money elsewhere. Though I think he prefers the right too
That would be a perfect signing, but he is surely on the dolphins radar... he's a Redcliffe junior through and through

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Kinda hope we grab Tom Oppa on the cheap and splash money elsewhere. Though I think he prefers the right too

He's always been pretty comfortable either side and played most of his footy in the NRL on the left. I've always felt he is better on the right but these days he prefers left center. He's probably the sort of profile we are looking for. Do the job for a year or two while we see where the likes of Mariner is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • bert_lifts
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Morkel
  • Financeguy
  • Ronald
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Spoon
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.