Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Did he hang around? He wasn't off contract the last two years
He came off contract in 2020 and resigned with us (during that particularly shitty year) for a further two years. He was reportedly approached by a couple other clubs but resigned with us.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
As much as I would genuinely hate to lose Herbie, especially untried at fullback, I suppose it opens up the succession option for Mariner next season. Potentially have him come on the wing and Cobbo to centre.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
As much as I would genuinely hate to lose Herbie, especially untried at fullback, I suppose it opens up the succession option for Mariner next season. Potentially have him come on the wing and Cobbo to centre.
As I said before. The idea of losing an established first grader after years of patiently waiting for him to develop only to replace him with another rookie doesn’t sit right with me. At some point we need to have a mature team and not keep filling it with kids. We also need to have a first grade team that will allow for us to develop young players in cup instead of rushing them in.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
As I said before. The idea of losing an established first grader after years of patiently waiting for him to develop only to replace him with another rookie doesn’t sit right with me. At some point we need to have a mature team and not keep filling it with kids. We also need to have a first grade team that will allow for us to develop young players in cup instead of rushing them in.

In some ways we probably need to be more selective as well with who we put our time into. We cant keep everyone. Probably also need to make sure we manage the cap better to have money in the cap. You balance Haas with a Jensen, Staggs with an Opacic etc. One star and one cheap, functional player you dont have to worry about.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Will be shit to lose herbie but honestly I'm a bit meh about it at the same time...

Haas, farnworth, flegler, staggs, fifita, pangai, lodge....... the list goes on and on.... they all have 2 things in common....... they aren't spine players and they were all in the team when we won a spoon.

Shows what a rort the salary cap is though. Why carry these players while they develop in the nrl only to lose them once they start to show their talent consistently?

Will we be worse off without farnworth? If we literally sign no one with the money we save from him then yep, but why would that happen? Lol... if we put it towards the spine or at least part of it goes towards it while we buy an opacic level player with solid defence and experience, then HELL NO we won't be. Same if we lose ANY PLAYER WE CURRENTLY HAVE bar Reynolds.....

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
I'll be very disappointed if we lose Herbie, especially considering we re-signed the likes of Niu last year. Herbie should have been wrapped up 12m ago, and not been on the open market.
Herbie has been solid for us and has been in our top 2 or 3 players every game this year.
There will be a media storm around this if it does/has happened. KW & Ikin have both publicly come out and made it clear we want to keep Herbie long term, so if he has gone it'll be a massive hit.
In saying that, I don't want to be paying silly money to keep him around. We already are paying Staggs big $.
Same for Cobbo. On that, I feel like the club has put a higher priority on keeping Cobbo, probably due to the media hype around him.
I hoped that part of the reason we let Isaako go this year was to help ensure Herbie stayed around.
Oppa would be a good option if it does end up happening.
We should have cash to spend next year IF Herbie and Turpin leave. Add to that Isaako gone and hopefully be able to offload Niu at some point.
We need a 1 & 9 pretty badly.
@Smokin' Joe, anything in this?

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Will be shit to lose herbie but honestly I'm a bit meh about it at the same time...

Haas, farnworth, flegler, staggs, fifita, pangai, lodge....... the list goes on and on.... they all have 2 things in common....... they aren't spine players and they were all in the team when we won a spoon.

Shows what a rort the salary cap is though. Why carry these players while they develop in the nrl only to lose them once they start to show their talent consistently?

Will we be worse off without farnworth? If we literally sign no one with the money we save from him then yep, but why would that happen? Lol... if we put it towards the spine or at least part of it goes towards it while we buy an opacic level player with solid defence and experience, then HELL NO we won't be. Same if we lose ANY PLAYER WE CURRENTLY HAVE bar Reynolds.....
💯x💯 Earth to Broncos management : WE NEED TO MAKE POSITIONS 1,6,7 & 9 TOP PRIORITY GOING FORWARD ‼️

it might sting a little if & when it costs us an outside back or two but nothing is going to truly move the needle for the Broncos more than a star studded spine

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
💯x💯 Earth to Broncos management : WE NEED TO MAKE POSITIONS 1,6,7 & 9 TOP PRIORITY GOING FORWARD ‼️

it might sting a little if & when it costs us an outside back or two but nothing is going to truly move the needle for the Broncos more than a star studded spine

I think we all agree but who are these star studs we can chase?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I think we all agree but who are these star studs we can chase?
I think it's more about making sure we're in a position to go for one if they come on the market.

Walsh for example has a PO for 2024 so he's basically a free agent as of Nov 1... there's also the rumours of him not wanting to go to NZ... so he could pop up next year. If we're in a position to go for him then we absolutely should.

Munster off contract soon, SWalker soonish, etc.

I think we keep an eye out for the expat Queensland spine players and make sure we're in a position to bring them home if they start having a look... I'm not all that keen on the NSW'men anymore because they seem less committed to stay here (Lodge, TPJ, Staggs (had a look), Haas (might be having a look), Bird (legged it the second he got a chance), etc. but kiwis, qld'ers and poms could all be targets.

Reynolds to me was a different circumstance.. he was a gun player that was basically discarded by his team, so he had different motivations by coming to us. He also didn't come because of the money like a mercenary type player

As long as we don't go crazy with +4yr deals on support players we should consistently be in a position where money can be raised quite quickly.

The big thing they need to do is determine which youngsters are the good'ns and make sure they stay locked down and then get introduced correctly.

Even for a guy like Deine, you don't necessarily break the bank to make sure we can keep him (like we've done with Piakura).. we seem to have those athletic stars coming through every year. We absolutely have to make sure we identify and retain the gun spine players coming through though.

If Mozer is the man, then you pay him top 30 money to keep him and introduce him when the time is right... same for Mam (think he's extended to 2024, which was a good move)

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Unless Herbie has gone all money crazy, throwing away his development since 2017 would be crazy.

He played 17 NYC games in 2017, then ISC in 2018 and 2019- 25 games and 45 NRL games since 2019- you've put six years into him and now you cut him loose.

He's developing exactly how you want players to and he's starting to be a consistent NRL player. He's the system working.

The call is made over and over again we need players to develop and not throw rookies in sight unseen- but then call for it to happen- again.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Unless Herbie has gone all money crazy, throwing away his development since 2017 would be crazy.

He played 17 NYC games in 2017, then ISC in 2018 and 2019- 25 games and 45 NRL games since 2019- you've put six years into him and now you cut him loose.

He's developing exactly how you want players to and he's starting to be a consistent NRL player. He's the system working.

The call is made over and over again we need players to develop and not throw rookies in sight unseen- but then call for it to happen- again.

I cant ever recall a time at Brisbane where we have gone down the route of throwing in loads of younger players that has ever worked.

I still think too many people just jump on the hype train with these players. Most of them dont even perform consistently in QCup. Like you said, Herbie is a prime example of the development system working through the grades.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

I think almost all would agree with what you are saying here, I don't think many on here want Herbie to go. I certainly don't but if he is going, it is an interesting discussion about what we do as a result IF it happens.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think almost all would agree with what you are saying here, I don't think many on here want Herbie to go. I certainly don't but if he is going, it is an interesting discussion about what we do as a result IF it happens.

He is the perfect example to show these younger guys the way to progress through the grades, and if they prove themselves they can earn themselves good contracts here or elsewhere.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
In terms of spine players, I am going to go against my better judgment here and say...I think Turpin-Paix can work IF NEED BE, however the 9 I'd be going for IS gettable. So I would not be throwing ridiculous money at any available or possibly available 9, unless that is a Grant, Korisau, Hunt or Mahoney. None of these however are going to be available any time soon as they have all been taken off the market and in Hunt's case, he doesn't want to play 9. I wouldn't mind throwing an offer Simpkin's way but really only if he wanted for a starting 9 chance and the Tigers let him and I don't think that will happen.

So here it is...I'd be going all in on Berrell and he is 100% gettable AND cheap and with him and Paix, I think we have a pretty decen 1-2 hooker punch. This gives us time to see whether Mozer is what we need and if he comes on within the next 1-2 seasons. Plus, I don't know if the Dolphins will be after him as Graham looks like he might just about be ready by '23.

I know Munster would improve our side on field, absolutely and instantly make us respectable BUT he won't come, it is a pipe dream. Sure ask the question but already know the answer. Basically, he isn't coming BUT I also think we can make do with Walters / Gamble until Mam is ready and hopefully, that might even been some time late this season. So I don't think 6 is a priority.

So, in my opinion, the spine player we most need to throw money at is a fullback and again, I just don't think Walsh will come back because I think Redcliffe will throw a million at him, they need a big fish and haven't got one. This is the reason I wanted to throw a lot of money at Hammer last year. Hynes would have been EVERYTHING but again, he was never coming.

But aside from Walsh, who else is there available that is gettable? Genuine question because I feel this is our biggest need.

CNK? I wouldn't mind him as a stop gap until someone else arises or some kid comes from the clouds.
Savage? He is the heir apparent at Canberra, we aren't getting him.
Staines? He just seems like a massive tool and is unproven at fullback, so we'd be back at square one.
Drinkwater? He's basically Tesi defensively, no thanks.
Field? I would definitely take a punt here, he is carving up in ESL but hey, so did Tomkins and look how poorly he did over here.

And again, none of these are guns with the exception MAYBE of CNK but he is starting to get on.

Now the left field one we all dream about is RTS but I just don't think he is going to give up his rugby dream before a world cup, I just don't think it is happening.

So who is left? Herbie but we might lose him and he isn't getting a shot at FB anyway.

Thoughts? Which fullbacks should we be targeting?

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I well and truely agree with you but it is still only a matter of time until he claims that centre spot and we can’t be spending the sort of money Farnworth is getting paid on him. I love Farnworth and think he is a great player but o can think of about 2 centres who genuinely are game changers and it’s Staggs and Manu. Olam fits into that class through being a gun centre as well. Nobody else. Herbie might be young but with an already dysfunctional spine we can’t put more into our centres when we need a new and improved spine.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
In terms of spine players, I am going to go against my better judgment here and say...I think Turpin-Paix can work IF NEED BE, however the 9 I'd be going for IS gettable. So I would not be throwing ridiculous money at any available or possibly available 9, unless that is a Grant, Korisau, Hunt or Mahoney. None of these however are going to be available any time soon as they have all been taken off the market and in Hunt's case, he doesn't want to play 9. I wouldn't mind throwing an offer Simpkin's way but really only if he wanted for a starting 9 chance and the Tigers let him and I don't think that will happen.

So here it is...I'd be going all in on Berrell and he is 100% gettable AND cheap and with him and Paix, I think we have a pretty decen 1-2 hooker punch. This gives us time to see whether Mozer is what we need and if he comes on within the next 1-2 seasons. Plus, I don't know if the Dolphins will be after him as Graham looks like he might just about be ready by '23.

I know Munster would improve our side on field, absolutely and instantly make us respectable BUT he won't come, it is a pipe dream. Sure ask the question but already know the answer. Basically, he isn't coming BUT I also think we can make do with Walters / Gamble until Mam is ready and hopefully, that might even been some time late this season. So I don't think 6 is a priority.

So, in my opinion, the spine player we most need to throw money at is a fullback and again, I just don't think Walsh will come back because I think Redcliffe will throw a million at him, they need a big fish and haven't got one. This is the reason I wanted to throw a lot of money at Hammer last year. Hynes would have been EVERYTHING but again, he was never coming.

But aside from Walsh, who else is there available that is gettable? Genuine question because I feel this is our biggest need.

CNK? I wouldn't mind him as a stop gap until someone else arises or some kid comes from the clouds.
Staines? He just seems like a massive tool and is unproven at fullback, so we'd be back at square one.
Field? I would definitely take a punt here, he is carving up in ESL but hey, so did Tomkins and look how poorly he did over here.

And again, none of these are guns with the exception MAYBE of CNK but he is starting to get on.

Now the left field one we all dream about is RTS but I just don't think he is going to give up his rugby dream before a world cup, I just don't think it is happening.

So who is left? Herbie but we might lose him and he isn't getting a shot at FB anyway.

If we want a fullback i'd be going for Pryce. I dont usually go all in on younger players, but i really think he is something special and he is gettable

Apart from him, i'd still look at Drinkwater. His defence at fullback isnt as bad as people make out. He was poor in the halves, but i've never seen him badly exposed at fullback. He is a better playmaker than Tesi, better kicking game and he is safe under the high ball. Issue with him is more he needs to be all in on making the move back to fullback. He faded quite a bit in the latter stages of the game, he isnt fullback fit.

My wildcard would still be Perham. He's not going to get a look in at Parra.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018

Yeah what about a spine of:
1. Nicoll-Klokstadt
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Mamouzelos

Mamouzelos is young but he has sort of bided his time in Reggies. He has a relationship with Reynolds somewhat from south’s. His last name starts with Mam like Ezra which you can just see a budding killer combo there. As for CNK he has played a GF might just need a change of scenery. Not like he has been horrible. He is still keeping Savage out of his spot for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• teampjta
  • Broncorob
  • Strop
  • Scdeac
  • Big Del
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • KickHaas
  • mitch222
  • BroncosAlways
  • levikaden
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.