Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
In terms of spine players, I am going to go against my better judgment here and say...I think Turpin-Paix can work IF NEED BE, however the 9 I'd be going for IS gettable. So I would not be throwing ridiculous money at any available or possibly available 9, unless that is a Grant, Korisau, Hunt or Mahoney. None of these however are going to be available any time soon as they have all been taken off the market and in Hunt's case, he doesn't want to play 9. I wouldn't mind throwing an offer Simpkin's way but really only if he wanted for a starting 9 chance and the Tigers let him and I don't think that will happen.

So here it is...I'd be going all in on Berrell and he is 100% gettable AND cheap and with him and Paix, I think we have a pretty decen 1-2 hooker punch. This gives us time to see whether Mozer is what we need and if he comes on within the next 1-2 seasons. Plus, I don't know if the Dolphins will be after him as Graham looks like he might just about be ready by '23.

I know Munster would improve our side on field, absolutely and instantly make us respectable BUT he won't come, it is a pipe dream. Sure ask the question but already know the answer. Basically, he isn't coming BUT I also think we can make do with Walters / Gamble until Mam is ready and hopefully, that might even been some time late this season. So I don't think 6 is a priority.

So, in my opinion, the spine player we most need to throw money at is a fullback and again, I just don't think Walsh will come back because I think Redcliffe will throw a million at him, they need a big fish and haven't got one. This is the reason I wanted to throw a lot of money at Hammer last year. Hynes would have been EVERYTHING but again, he was never coming.

But aside from Walsh, who else is there available that is gettable? Genuine question because I feel this is our biggest need.

CNK? I wouldn't mind him as a stop gap until someone else arises or some kid comes from the clouds.
Savage? He is the heir apparent at Canberra, we aren't getting him.
Staines? He just seems like a massive tool and is unproven at fullback, so we'd be back at square one.
Drinkwater? He's basically Tesi defensively, no thanks.
Field? I would definitely take a punt here, he is carving up in ESL but hey, so did Tomkins and look how poorly he did over here.

And again, none of these are guns with the exception MAYBE of CNK but he is starting to get on.

Now the left field one we all dream about is RTS but I just don't think he is going to give up his rugby dream before a world cup, I just don't think it is happening.

So who is left? Herbie but we might lose him and he isn't getting a shot at FB anyway.

Thoughts? Which fullbacks should we be targeting?
I think Walsh would come back... he would be the one I'd target and if he doesn't then we just have to figure out how we're going to develop Cobbo properly.

But for the sake I might do a deep dive on teams and possible fullbacks off contract by 2024 that may become available. I don't know them all though i.e. the Perham's of the world:
- CNK could be a solid option, but he's not off contract until 2024 anyway. I think raiders would release him early though. I feel like his form is fading somewhat at the moment, but maybe a move could revitalise him??
- Corey Allan is an interesting one to me... I wasn't keen when he wanted huge money coming off one good year on the back of the best backline in the comp, but he's currently languishing down in reserve grade for the dogs and they would be desperate to let him go. Off contract for 2024, but I reckon dogs would release him and pay a bit of his wage
- Not really for fullback, but interesting to see that Corey Thompson has a CO next year... he'd be one of those steady squad members that can do a role for us on a good deal.
- Hammer is off contract in 2024 so not completely out of reach
- Val isn't off contract anytime soon, but I bet cows would be happy to be rid of his contract... not sure I would want to go there though
- Drinkwater is someone I would look at, but doesn't sound like he wants to be a fullback

So looking at that Walsh would have to be the number 1 option... CNK could be a stopgap, if we figure out how to develop Cobbo without having him play in ISC (media and all that) and Allan could be an option as well without really looking like a roadblock.

I don't think Allan's defence is all that great either, but could be something to pose to Wolfie, 1910 and Big Pete

Emanon

Emanon

QCup Player
Apr 26, 2021
In terms of spine players, I am going to go against my better judgment here and say...I think Turpin-Paix can work IF NEED BE, however the 9 I'd be going for IS gettable. So I would not be throwing ridiculous money at any available or possibly available 9, unless that is a Grant, Korisau, Hunt or Mahoney. None of these however are going to be available any time soon as they have all been taken off the market and in Hunt's case, he doesn't want to play 9. I wouldn't mind throwing an offer Simpkin's way but really only if he wanted for a starting 9 chance and the Tigers let him and I don't think that will happen.

So here it is...I'd be going all in on Berrell and he is 100% gettable AND cheap and with him and Paix, I think we have a pretty decen 1-2 hooker punch. This gives us time to see whether Mozer is what we need and if he comes on within the next 1-2 seasons. Plus, I don't know if the Dolphins will be after him as Graham looks like he might just about be ready by '23.

I know Munster would improve our side on field, absolutely and instantly make us respectable BUT he won't come, it is a pipe dream. Sure ask the question but already know the answer. Basically, he isn't coming BUT I also think we can make do with Walters / Gamble until Mam is ready and hopefully, that might even been some time late this season. So I don't think 6 is a priority.

So, in my opinion, the spine player we most need to throw money at is a fullback and again, I just don't think Walsh will come back because I think Redcliffe will throw a million at him, they need a big fish and haven't got one. This is the reason I wanted to throw a lot of money at Hammer last year. Hynes would have been EVERYTHING but again, he was never coming.

But aside from Walsh, who else is there available that is gettable? Genuine question because I feel this is our biggest need.

CNK? I wouldn't mind him as a stop gap until someone else arises or some kid comes from the clouds.
Savage? He is the heir apparent at Canberra, we aren't getting him.
Staines? He just seems like a massive tool and is unproven at fullback, so we'd be back at square one.
Drinkwater? He's basically Tesi defensively, no thanks.
Field? I would definitely take a punt here, he is carving up in ESL but hey, so did Tomkins and look how poorly he did over here.

And again, none of these are guns with the exception MAYBE of CNK but he is starting to get on.

Now the left field one we all dream about is RTS but I just don't think he is going to give up his rugby dream before a world cup, I just don't think it is happening.

So who is left? Herbie but we might lose him and he isn't getting a shot at FB anyway.

Thoughts? Which fullbacks should we be targeting?
Could try something crazy and go after an AFL player. A lot of them would make good defensive fullbacks as they are due to the 360 vision they need in AFL. It would then just be a case of teaching them passing and NRL structures.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think Walsh would come back... he would be the one I'd target and if he doesn't then we just have to figure out how we're going to develop Cobbo properly.

But for the sake I might do a deep dive on teams and possible fullbacks off contract by 2024 that may become available. I don't know them all though i.e. the Perham's of the world:
- CNK could be a solid option, but he's not off contract until 2024 anyway. I think raiders would release him early though. I feel like his form is fading somewhat at the moment, but maybe a move could revitalise him??
- Corey Allan is an interesting one to me... I wasn't keen when he wanted huge money coming off one good year on the back of the best backline in the comp, but he's currently languishing down in reserve grade for the dogs and they would be desperate to let him go. Off contract for 2024, but I reckon dogs would release him and pay a bit of his wage
- Not really for fullback, but interesting to see that Corey Thompson has a CO next year... he'd be one of those steady squad members that can do a role for us on a good deal.
- Hammer is off contract in 2024 so not completely out of reach
- Val isn't off contract anytime soon, but I bet cows would be happy to be rid of his contract... not sure I would want to go there though
- Drinkwater is someone I would look at, but doesn't sound like he wants to be a fullback

So looking at that Walsh would have to be the number 1 option... CNK could be a stopgap, if we figure out how to develop Cobbo without having him play in ISC (media and all that) and Allan could be an option as well without really looking like a roadblock.

I don't think Allan's defence is all that great either, but could be something to pose to Wolfie, 1910 and Big Pete

Yeah I would definitely take a heavily subsidised Allan.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Could try something crazy and go after an AFL player. A lot of them would make good defensive fullbacks as they are due to the 360 vision they need in AFL. It would then just be a case of teaching them passing and NRL structures.

Some of them like Luke Parker (too old for this but just a point) have played league growing up anyway. There are some that could do it but man, that would be one heck of a punt.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Unless Herbie has gone all money crazy, throwing away his development since 2017 would be crazy.

He played 17 NYC games in 2017, then ISC in 2018 and 2019- 25 games and 45 NRL games since 2019- you've put six years into him and now you cut him loose.

He's developing exactly how you want players to and he's starting to be a consistent NRL player. He's the system working.

The call is made over and over again we need players to develop and not throw rookies in sight unseen- but then call for it to happen- again.
Who's cutting him loose and throwing away his development? Do you suggest we pay WHATEVER they want? And who's throwing rookies in? Lee is signed for another year with pereria and we don't know who will be signed. Every retention move the broncos have made since DD and ikin have been here have been reasonable to good in my eyes. I reckon they just got outbid here, and very smartly, we didn't over pay for a back who despite his talents and great performances has not won us any more games (maybe there's been 1 or 2?) then we would without him anyway. Spend the money on the spine, we aren't the Roosters, we have a salary cap

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Who's cutting him loose and throwing away his development? Do you suggest we pay WHATEVER they want? And who's throwing rookies in? Lee is signed for another year with pereria and we don't know who will be signed. Every retention move the broncos have made since DD and ikin have been here have been reasonable to good in my eyes. I reckon they just got outbid here, and very smartly, we didn't over pay for a back who despite his talents and great performances has not won us any more games (maybe there's been 1 or 2?) then we would without him anyway. Spend the money on the spine, we aren't the Roosters, we have a salary cap

My first sentence answers your question.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
My first sentence answers your question.
Literally, no it doesn't... I never asked "do you think they got outbid"? Brisbane didn't DECIDE to let him go like your entire comment makes out

Emanon

Emanon

QCup Player
Apr 26, 2021
Some of them like Luke Parker (too old for this but just a point) have played league growing up anyway. There are some that could do it but man, that would be one heck of a punt.
It definitely would be a risk. (I think Issac Heeney played NRL growing up as well) But it wouldn't even need to be an established star, in fact a pissed off guy they delisted who has a point to prove could possibly work as well.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Pity KHunt retired, he's a gun fullback.

Oh shit it's 2020. NVM.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
No keep going, Kevie may want to play him at five eighth the following year...

...and there were some really intelligent posters on BHQ who called for it.

It probably shoes how bad we were going we the call for him was mainly based on just his experience and influence.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013

That was before we unearthed Gamble, to be fair...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It probably shoes how bad we were going we the call for him was mainly based on just his experience and influence.
Blind Freddy could have told you it was pie in the sky stuff.

Just like drafting in Ben Te'o after a very limited to no pre-season. Another one the fans wanted to see until they saw it...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Hey, everyone makes bad calls from time to time man. You even did one recently, saying you agreed Flegler's tackle against AFB was 'late' and should have been penalised.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Hey, everyone makes bad calls from time to time man. You even did one recently, saying you agreed Flegler's tackle against AFB was 'late' and should have been penalised.
I've made bad calls, that wasn't one of them. However I don't excessively bag out the club/competition and then move onto the next target when I'm wrong.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I've made bad calls, that wasn't one of them. However I don't excessively bag out the club/competition and then move onto the next target when I'm wrong.

Nothing wrong with that if it is balanced out with lots of other conversation. I'm aware of what I do and I'm ok with it. I also pretty much post rubbish 95% of the time and am totally ok with it.

And you were wrong about Flegler and in line with my usual themes, am sad the NRL has got you on board with that kind of disgrace.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
And you were wrong about Flegler and in line with my usual themes, am sad the NRL has got you on board with that kind of disgrace.
Can't put a big hit on a player without the football, it's been that way for 3 years mate.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Can't put a big hit on a player without the football, it's been that way for 3 years mate.

But the issue is - in an identical situation, why is a small hit okay but a big one isn't? A tackle is a tackle, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • davidp
  • Battler
  • Xzei
  • Galah
  • Bucking Beads
  • westy316
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Ironbroncos
  • Fozz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Ondi
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • lynx000
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.