Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Rarely runs for more than 50 mtrs a game and is basically invisible out there. His tackle efficiency is decent but it needs to be on this team. "Spud" might be an unfair term because of his youth but he will only ever be a middle of the road type player. Comparing him to Fafita is laughable. If he decided to return to Brisbane (he won't), Riki would be quickly forgotten about.

Then another genuine question, do you consider Capewell a spud?

Because Capewell and Rikis run meters are comparable. In the 4 games each have played Capewell only has around 20 extra metres more than Riki (and in one if those games Riki was injured early in the match)

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019

Because Capewell and Rikis run meters are comparable. In the 4 games each have played Capewell only has around 20 extra metres more than Riki (and in one if those games Riki was injured early in the match)
Capewell has been genuinely underwhelming.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016

Capewell isn't a spud because he has been a proven performer over a number of years. A noted "big game" player with his stunning display in last year's GF and his match turning efforts in the 2020 SOO.

We need more from him but he is 5 games in (one of which he missed) his stint with his new club. It'll take time to transition from playing for the Premiers onto a cellar dwelling club. That cannot be easy. He gets the benefit of the doubt because he has earned that.

Riki has never really done it for me. He gets talked up a bit on here but I just don't see him as a long term option. A great long range try vs Parra in his rookie season and a couple great tackle counts here and there but IMO is pretty ordinary for the most part. He is quite welcome to prove me wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. He has youth on his side and maybe I'm being a hard marker. Time will tell.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Capewell isn't a spud because he has been a proven performer over a number of years. A noted "big game" player with his stunning display in last year's GF and his match turning efforts in the 2020 SOO.

We need more from him but he is 5 games in (one of which he missed) his stint with his new club. It'll take time to transition from playing for the Premiers onto a cellar dwelling club. That cannot be easy. He gets the benefit of the doubt because he has earned that.

Riki has never really done it for me. He gets talked up a bit on here but I just don't see him as a long term option. A great long range try vs Parra in his rookie season and a couple great tackle counts here and there but IMO is pretty ordinary for the most part. He is quite welcome to prove me wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. He has youth on his side and maybe I'm being a hard marker. Time will tell.
I always saw him a expendable but I think he’s done himself proud this year. His defence has improved a lot.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
He was great in the first round - even excluding the field goal. I genuinely think he's injured but been 'managing it' - but got too much for the game he missed.

He's solid defensively and is yelling at the boys to get their ass where they need to be.

Gives away at least one stupid penalty every game though, needs to learn he's in a broncos jersey, can't get away with anything.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
It’s not the second rowers’ job to make metres in the current game. Wingers and front rowers do that now. Defence and options in attack are what’s important for second rowers

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
It’s not the second rowers’ job to make metres in the current game. Wingers and front rowers do that now. Defence and options in attack are what’s important for second rowers
Yeah i agree. I don’t think second rowers will be making big metres with one out hit ups. They do their damage running off the halves and targeting the opposition halves. This is something we haven’t had in the back row for years

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

I thought he was good the first game but i dont know if he has been playing injured or something because i'm not seeing what i was expecting so far. Still early days but you would be hoping for a bit more from him tbh.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I thought he was good the first game but i dont know if he has been playing injured or something because i'm not seeing what i was expecting so far. Still early days but you would be hoping for a bit more from him tbh.
He could probably get through more work but I think people might have had too high expectations for Cape’s. He’s in the same class as a mid-career Alex Glenn: reliable; does the 1%ers, could pass as a centre if needed, agile, not particularly powerful.

His biggest assets were always going to be what he brings to those around him, which I think we’re seeing.

Disappointed by his needless penalties though: wouldn’t mind seeing what he could do at 13.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I am not totally against Capewell at 13, but the only two things that would stop me is Hetherington missing out at lock, and no suitable edge backrower to replace Capewell. Unless Piakura starts playing the house down, or Robati starts pushing for an edge backrow spot I wouldn't be moving Capewell or Riki.

Also, I can't decide whether Robati would be better as an edge backrower or as a middle forward. Either way, his junk minutes aren't doing much for his development.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I'm more inclined to go against the majority of the forum and say Kurt is more ass than class.

Granted that field goal was a clutch play, but like he said he never had any time to think about and just had a go. But on the other side of the coin his stupid penalties have led to us ultimately losing games. So that needs to be considered as well.

That being said, i think he is a definite upgrade on Lexi's last couple of season's performances.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
You’re just clueless than. I couldn’t care less if he didn’t run the ball again his defence is where his value is to us.
I didn’t say he was shit, just hadn’t lived up to what I thought he was going to bring, I’m sure he’ll get there. he has missed some important tackles like the one against walker, he went chasing when we had numbers and got stepped because of it.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I'm more inclined to go against the majority of the forum and say Kurt is more ass than class.

Granted that field goal was a clutch play, but like he said he never had any time to think about and just had a go. But on the other side of the coin his stupid penalties have led to us ultimately losing games. So that needs to be considered as well.

That being said, i think he is a definite upgrade on Lexi's last couple of season's performances.
I can’t help but feel you just wanted to use the “more ass than class” cliche because I couldn’t think of a player further from that description than Capewell.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
He could probably get through more work but I think people might have had too high expectations for Cape’s. He’s in the same class as a mid-career Alex Glenn: reliable; does the 1%ers, could pass as a centre if needed, agile, not particularly powerful.

His biggest assets were always going to be what he brings to those around him, which I think we’re seeing.

Disappointed by his needless penalties though: wouldn’t mind seeing what he could do at 13.

He probably isnt offering a great deal more than Lexie at the moment, but i have a feeling its because he has been playing injured.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015

He leads our line speed, leads our kick chase, you can see him screaming in defence - especially in our 20m, he doesnt run a lot but when he does he runs great or very unusual lines which throws their defensive line out for the next play, and it's no coincidence Oates is getting better quality ball this year as well. Additional, he brings a great attitude, all for 1/3 the price of fifita.

I can't believe people are still wanting highlight reel players everywhere on our team after the last 3 years. The last 3 years shows you where those type of players all over the park get you....

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I can’t help but feel you just wanted to use the “more ass than class” cliche because I couldn’t think of a player further from that description than Capewell.
His attempted kick on in origin where he scored looked so arssey as have a number of tries he was on the end of while playing for penrith. It's not just at the Broncos. I know it's only early doors but he's so far failed to impress except as I siad for that clutch play at the death against souths. So I still stand by my comment. But, fair point as i said i was going against the majority opinion so I expect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • teampjta
  • Broncorob
  • Strop
  • Scdeac
  • Big Del
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • KickHaas
  • mitch222
  • BroncosAlways
  • levikaden
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.