Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I did see him say something like that but I don’t entirely believe it. Regardless, even if he’s not practiced field goals he’s obviously practiced drop kicks. I think @1910 can attest to how surprising Cape’s secret place kicking abilities are.
Yeah I agree. I think Capewell probably meant he doesn't practice taking field goals in real match situations, but I'm sure they take snaps at goal just for fun at the start or end of training. I think that's how Bennett once figured out Kahu was the best field goal option in the team.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
It's pretty concerning people on here haven't noticed the difference Capewell has made to our left edge defence.

I dont think our edge defence has improved to that much at all. Teams though have clearly identified our right side is our weakness though. Apart from those first couple of games our defence has been pretty ordinary.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Wish we also gave Pereira a shot this week and let Oates rest his legs.

1. Niu
2. Pereira
3. Hoeter
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo

Would be cool to see.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013

1. Niu
2. Pereira
3. Hoeter
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo

Would be cool to see.
Is Oates actually carrying an injury into this game following his try celebration mishap?

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Is Oates actually carrying an injury into this game following his try celebration mishap?
No idea. I just think he’s looking like he could use a week off here and there.

Pereira is a pro, I doubt we’d miss Oates too much.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
No idea. I just think he’s looking like he could use a week off here and there.

Pereira is a pro, I doubt we’d miss Oates too much.
Honestly, I'd rather give Cobbo a break instead. Oates has been pretty strong for us in my opinion, and he's finally scoring tries again. Pereira was good in the trials and I wouldn't object if he was named in the team, but I don't think it should be for Oates on current form.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Oates needs to keep playing he is uncontracted for next year,500k per year was his last one iirc

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I dont think our edge defence has improved to that much at all. Teams though have clearly identified our right side is our weakness though. Apart from those first couple of games our defence has been pretty ordinary.
Our left edge has improved heaps. Last year the left was putrid.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Statistically, we have conceded more tries on our left side than our right this year and last year.
I'm going to assume you're saying first 5 rounds of last year.

I know we conceded 2 through Arthars on our left edge against the Warriors when he wasn't playing, I'm going to assume that isn't taken into consideration. If you watch vision of last year and this year on our left, it's completely different, and very much improved.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I'm going to assume you're saying first 5 rounds of last year.

I know we conceded 2 through Arthars on our left edge against the Warriors when he wasn't playing, I'm going to assume that isn't taken into consideration. If you watch vision of last year and this year on our left, it's completely different, and very much improved.

No, both years. We terrible last year and we havent improved that much this year. We will have a better idea in another 10 games or so of how its going, its probably a bit soon to draw a big conclusion, but i still dont think Capewell has really been the influence we need him to be yet and he's also had poor defensive reads himself.

Its not great though really when you consider Staggs and Cobbo between them are up there for missed tackles, errors and handling errors and they have still let in less tries than our left side. I'm still of the opinion its more our structures that are the biggest issue despite the plethora of individual errors we make.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
No, both years. We terrible last year and we havent improved that much this year. We will have a better idea in another 10 games or so of how its going, its probably a bit soon to draw a big conclusion, but i still dont think Capewell has really been the influence we need him to be yet and he's also had poor defensive reads himself.

Its not great though really when you consider Staggs and Cobbo between them are up there for missed tackles, errors and handling errors and they have still let in less tries than our left side. I'm still of the opinion its more our structures that are the biggest issue despite the plethora of individual errors we make.
Idk what has happened with our edges we use to slide real well now we have guys shooting out of the line trying to shut shit down and more often than not it fails

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Idk what has happened with our edges we use to slide real well now we have guys shooting out of the line trying to shut shit down and more often than not it fails

I have my own theories and i do feel a lot of it is lack of communication between the center and the blokes inside and outside of him. Also, i dont think our players trust others to just do their jobs.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
I have my own theories and i do feel a lot of it is lack of communication between the center and the blokes inside and outside of him. Also, i dont think our players trust others to just do their jobs.
I was curious if it was something they are doing at training few other sides do it with a bit more success

Emanon

Emanon

QCup Player
Apr 26, 2021

1. Niu
2. Pereira
3. Hoeter
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo

Would be cool to see.
Its an interesting idea, but Oates hasn't been playing that badly. If we we're going to change anything, I'd go:
1. Niu
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Cobbo
5. Pereira
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds

If the don't change what they are currently doing, and give the ball to Cobbo in open space, and do the same with Staggs on the left, they would have strike options on both sides.

It would still come back to would it hold up defensively.
That seems common in a lot of sports these days. It's pretty easy find some trust building exercises on Google though. But it couldn't be that simple could it?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Its an interesting idea, but Oates hasn't been playing that badly. If we we're going to change anything, I'd go:
1. Niu
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Cobbo
5. Pereira
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds

If the don't change what they are currently doing, and give the ball to Cobbo in open space, and do the same with Staggs on the left, they would have strike options on both sides.

It would still come back to would it hold up defensively.

That seems common in a lot of sports these days. It's pretty easy find some trust building exercises on Google though. But it couldn't be that simple could it?
I'm not sure it is. I've always felt we have players who think they have to come up with a big play all the time instead of sticking to the structures. You seem to find the top sides stick to the structures and game plans, the poor ones dont. I guess its like Mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. When we take a punch to the face, we tend to lose our composure and thats why the likes of Capewell and Reynolds are so important. I saw some good signs from Arey last week in terms of that tbf.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
We should go to the market and get a impact bench forward or there would have to be someone in Qcup that can do this job. Thought TC might of been it but he has really dropped off from his form last season.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
We should go to the market and get a impact bench forward or there would have to be someone in Qcup that can do this job. Thought TC might of been it but he has really dropped off from his form last season.

Brendan Frei for edge back row. I also saw George Fai the other day had a good game for the Tigers against the Jets. Look promising a few years ago, back playing league now. Can see the storm keeping an eye on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Bucking Beads
  • bert_lifts
  • Big Del
  • Morkel
  • Financeguy
  • Ronald
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.