Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon Oatesy is a strong chance?

I’ve got a soft spot for him and I’m pretty sure he’s now our longest serving player which is crazy. Happy for him to stay or go really. Probably needs a pay cut though.
Needs a very big hair cut on his current salary. I love Oatesy though and it’s almost a situation where I want him to stay because of who he is but want a better winger to be playing sort of situation. We all have a soft spot for Oatesy but sadly he currently has the mobility of a 40 year old and is starting to look very awkward and poor in a lot of areas of his game.

Do you really think Wayne will be bothered about public perception? He never has and he has been coaching since the late 70's. He or the Dolphins arent going to be bothered if people think that way because they know what they are doing.
I agree that Wayne won't care but the Dolphins management/board will be bothered about public perception. They are trying to build a competitive fan base from scratch and every article about them missing out on this target or that target (even if they weren't really targets) influences perception of those that read it and the potential fan base they are trying to develop.

Fans that are on the fence about making the Dolphins their team don't want to read about them signing Ray Stone.

I agree with you that the Dolphins will be 'ok' but can't agree that the Dolphins as a whole aren't bothered by what people (the fans) think.

Do you really think Wayne will be bothered about public perception? He never has and he has been coaching since the late 70's. He or the Dolphins arent going to be bothered if people think that way because they know what they are doing.
Wayne may not, but the club will be, they have to satisfy potential sponsors & members. It hasn't been an ideal start.

Wayne may not, but the club will be, they have to satisfy potential sponsors & members. It hasn't been an ideal start.
They really won't. They have all been around the game long enough not to get carried away. I don't even know any Dolphins supporters who are overly concerned either.

I agree that Wayne won't care but the Dolphins management/board will be bothered about public perception. They are trying to build a competitive fan base from scratch and every article about them missing out on this target or that target (even if they weren't really targets) influences perception of those that read it and the potential fan base they are trying to develop.

Fans that are on the fence about making the Dolphins their team don't want to read about them signing Ray Stone.

I agree with you that the Dolphins will be 'ok' but can't agree that the Dolphins as a whole aren't bothered by what people (the fans) think.
As I just said, they just aren't. They are a club I'm really famiar with, know a lot of people there personally and I know heaps of Dolphins fans and they aren't concerned at the moment. They are disappointed they missed out on a couple of players, but that's about it. I think we will see a bit of concern if by about March they don't have a good core.

As I just said, they just aren't. They are a club I'm really famiar with, know a lot of people there personally and I know heaps of Dolphins fans and they aren't concerned at the moment. They are disappointed they missed out on a couple of players, but that's about it. I think we will see a bit of concern if by about March they don't have a good core.

By the time they get a core Bennett will be gone.

By the time they get a core Bennett will be gone.
How will that work? They will have the basis of a decent side next year and a better one the year after. Wayne will be there unless something huge happens with him.

I’m sorry but they entered the wrong market if they thought it was going to be easy for there public image with a pack of greedy wolves for media up here. Every other club looks at all the monetary positives of being a one team town and envy what we have but are acting like we don’t give back a lot to the game in development, don’t have our fair share of difficulties and don’t earn most of our money through the Leagues club. To be fair we would be making a significant amount more than a lot of clubs due to memberships, scheduling on peak viewership times which would draw larger crowds but at the same time for 33-34 odd years we have been relied upon to produce and invest in 65% (used to be more) of Qld talent. Specifically, recently we haven’t reaped the rewards of it either. The issue with this market is nothing you do will ever keep the media at bay. Apart from maybe good recruitment and retention for a period but they just use that to manipulate there future stories when the team doesn’t live up to the media’s own hype “same old problems in new looking outfit”. You get the picture. Whilst I don’t like the dolphins trying to steal from us I at least like the club and I think if they want to succeed they have to put that hate and public perception to one side to deal with once the club has been around long enough to judge and compare properly and fairly in comparison to others.

I cant see them signing anyone of note from us tbh. It will only be players we have no use for.
Oates, Tupin and Farnworth are a chance and I hope not but they may offer Cobbo a big deal

Oates and Turpin maybe, but I can’t see the club letting Farnworth or Cobbo go.

DD and Ikin know how important those two are, I’d like to think they won’t be silly enough to let them go.

If the Dolphins make them a good enough offer I don't think we can stop either, but I'm doubtful it would happen.

How will that work? They will have the basis of a decent side next year and a better one the year after. Wayne will be there unless something huge happens with him.
Even Alex Ferguson and Jack Gibson knew it was time. He's kidding himself if he can last three years. He'll scrape a squad together for 2023, be competitive in 2024 and fall short and only have one year to fix it. It's a disaster of a decision.

Even Alex Ferguson and Jack Gibson knew it was time. He's kidding himself if he can last three years. He'll scrape a squad together for 2023, be competitive in 2024 and fall short and only have one year to fix it. It's a disaster of a decision.
Thats just rubbish. For a start, Wayne is in much better health than either of those two at the same age. Not even comparable really. You are just picking out a couple of blokes who coached for a long time. Every individual is different. Some people have had enough at certain stages, others haven't. Wayne's clearly still a quality coach and feels he has more to give. How long that lasts we will see.

To say its a disaster of a decision is laughable. You couldn't get much better unless you are getting Bellamy or Robinson as your inaugural coach. They wont scrape together a squad either. They will recruit pretty well but lets face it, Wayne is there basically to help lay the foundations. It would be stupid to think they are going to be premiership challengers in their first 4 or 5 years. Its a totally different job than when he took over the Broncos.

I'd still like to know what makes you think he is kidding himself that he will last 3 years? He is physically fit, he's mentally sharp and is still passionate about the game. I honestly cant see at this moment in time how you are coming to that conclusion.

Thats just rubbish. For a start, Wayne is in much better health than either of those two at the same age. Not even comparable really. You are just picking out a couple of blokes who coached for a long time. Every individual is different. Some people have had enough at certain stages, others haven't. Wayne's clearly still a quality coach and feels he has more to give. How long that lasts we will see.

To say its a disaster of a decision is laughable. You couldn't get much better unless you are getting Bellamy or Robinson as your inaugural coach. They wont scrape together a squad either. They will recruit pretty well but lets face it, Wayne is there basically to help lay the foundations. It would be stupid to think they are going to be premiership challengers in their first 4 or 5 years. Its a totally different job than when he took over the Broncos.

I'd still like to know what makes you think he is kidding himself that he will last 3 years? He is physically fit, he's mentally sharp and is still passionate about the game. I honestly cant see at this moment in time how you are coming to that conclusion.
He will be 73 i think before he coaches a game for them and 76 before his last i dont think it is unreasonable to wonder if he will be up for it in the immediate future.

Do however agree he is there to lay the foundation not to be winning comps from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Astro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Galah
  • Brocko
  • mrtij
  • phoenix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Foordy
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Allo
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • NSW stables
  • Santa
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.