Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats just rubbish. For a start, Wayne is in much better health than either of those two at the same age. Not even comparable really. You are just picking out a couple of blokes who coached for a long time. Every individual is different. Some people have had enough at certain stages, others haven't. Wayne's clearly still a quality coach and feels he has more to give. How long that lasts we will see.

To say its a disaster of a decision is laughable. You couldn't get much better unless you are getting Bellamy or Robinson as your inaugural coach. They wont scrape together a squad either. They will recruit pretty well but lets face it, Wayne is there basically to help lay the foundations. It would be stupid to think they are going to be premiership challengers in their first 4 or 5 years. Its a totally different job than when he took over the Broncos.

I'd still like to know what makes you think he is kidding himself that he will last 3 years? He is physically fit, he's mentally sharp and is still passionate about the game. I honestly cant see at this moment in time how you are coming to that conclusion.
Time waits for no man or woman, Wolfie

He will be 73 i think before he coaches a game for them and 76 before his last i dont think it is unreasonable to wonder if he will be up for it in the immediate future.

Do however agree he is there to lay the foundation not to be winning comps from the get go.
He is a bit of an anomaly tbf. There arent many at his age who can do what he can do.

I have no doubts he is up for the challenge. Whether he goes past his contract is the big question. I think he will take a step back but still be involved after his contract ends.

I reckon Wayne sees out the 3 year deal but after that it's up in the air, they're going to face the same issue literally every club has faced once Wayne moved on, you cannot replace him.

They are just going to need to make sure their football department is running really smooth when he leaves and they'll obviously need a decent coach.

I reckon Wayne sees out the 3 year deal but after that it's up in the air, they're going to face the same issue literally every club has faced once Wayne moved on, you cannot replace him.

They are just going to need to make sure their football department is running really smooth when he leaves and they'll obviously need a decent coach.
That's Seibold music for 2026 I reckon.

Oates and Turpin maybe, but I can’t see the club letting Farnworth or Cobbo go.

DD and Ikin know how important those two are, I’d like to think they won’t be silly enough to let them go.
I don't think its about too silly to let them go. If farnworth gets offered 500k for 3 years it might be too good to refuse. Wed be silly t I match it and he is gone.

If Cobbo plays well this season and they throw big money at him we may not be able to afford him either.

I think Turpin is the most likely to go

I don't think its about too silly to let them go. If farnworth gets offered 500k for 3 years it might be too good to refuse. Wed be silly t I match it and he is gone.

If Cobbo plays well this season and they throw big money at him we may not be able to afford him either.

I think Turpin is the most likely to go
Cobbo shouldn’t get a chance to make it to market. He’s too good

Cobbo shouldn’t get a chance to make it too market. He’s too good
This is the point.

The new administration is too smart to let the players they truly identify as must-keeps get anywhere near signing with another club.

Lock them up nice and early and, unless they turn into prima-donnas (e.g. Reece Walsh) and demand a release (if so, do we want them at the club anyway?), there’s nothing to worry about.

Simples.

This is the point.

The new administration is too smart to let the players they truly identify as must-keeps get anywhere near signing with another club.

Lock them up nice and early and, unless they turn into prima-donnas (e.g. Reece Walsh) and demand a release (if so, do we want them at the club anyway?), there’s nothing to worry about.

Simples.
I don't think this is always possible for a club to avoid. If I am a player I would wait to go to market before committing just like Fifita did. The Dolphins could do a Titian's and offer overs to secure him. The smart decision is to let them go rather than pay over to keep them.

I don't think this is always possible for a club to avoid. If I am a player I would wait to go to market before committing just like Fifita did. The Dolphins could do a Titian's and offer overs to secure him. The smart decision is to let them go rather than pay over to keep them.
I think you may be missing the point.

If the club was steadfast in their operations, Fifita would be an outlier. The way it was, Fifita was allowed to drag his negotiations on and on and on whilst the club sat around with their dicks in their hands. Don’t let the players you really want to keep get to their final year without putting pen to paper.

Identify who you ‘must’ keep, start negotiations early, put forward a very reasonable price and progress the negotiations. If they want to do a Fifita, give them a reasonable deadline and if that passes, be prepared to move on.

If we set that example with the Fifita negotiations, we would be in a much stronger negotiating position with all our players and we’d find very few would want to try and dick the club around like he did.

Of course there will be those rare times we lose a player we want to keep, that’s just the way it goes. But if we show some balls and don’t let ourselves be played for fools, we’ll keep almost everyone we want and we’ll pay reasonable prices to do so.

This is the point.

Simples.
They can still be good blokes, not prima donnas but still want to test their value on the open market, which in a lot of ways they would be stupid not to.

What do we want for Christmas?

They can still be good blokes, not prima donnas but still want to test their value on the open market, which in a lot of ways they would be stupid not to.
My next post says quite a bit more, so I don’t think I need to go into it any further.

But I am interested, are you saying Reece Walsh didn’t behave like a prima-donna?

From what I saw, he pretty much epitomises the term.

My next post says quite a bit more, so I don’t think I need to go into it any further.

But I am interested, are you saying Reece Walsh didn’t behave like a prima-donna?

From what I saw, he pretty much epitomises the term.
Nope, not at all. I've always said he acted like a brat. He didnt want to wait his turn and prove himself.

There just doesnt have to be any correlation between a player who's a good bloke and a player whose a prima-donna when it comes to contract talks. They can both choose to not sign or to test their value on the open market, its only detrimental to their relationship with the club and the support in the way they handle things.

Sometimes the club can make all the right moves and do all the right things and they still cant get a player over the line early. From my perspective, i'd rather see us make these players good contract offers to tie them up early, but put cut off dates on when they have to sign before we move on. We cant keep having these situations with the likes of Fifita and Staggs where they drag things out and are clearly using us as a bargaining tool.

The best thing about the Dolphins coming into the comp is that the media is focussing on them and not just us for a change.

And Parramatta. They’re going back to their proven whipping boys the Eels and Tigers

It will come back to haunt us but to be fair there isn’t much for them to whip us about. We have hired great staff, recruited well and finished the season well as well as only losing Isaako to the dolphins thus far. What can they really do except stand there and say we need a better 9,6,1 but that would just ruin there stories about how good Mozer, Mam and Cobbo are for the future. Broncos haven’t done much wrong for a couple months now and the media have understood that and shut up the negativity. They are jumping on the hype train for when the impending crash occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ondi
  • rj9
  • thenry
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.