Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
@McHunt does have a valid argument if you accept the premise that recruiting and retention decision making is even to some extent being premised upon ensuring that Skip Walters has a contract with us because Kev is playing some role in that occurring.

If that is happening it is extremely problematic and it becomes even more problematic if the club is not actively seeking a better hooker because of it. There would be no clearer example of a conflict of interest/nepotism than that.

I think (respectfully) where his argument falls down is that Kev (unlike Bennett in the past) does not have the runs on the board in terms of results and premiership experience and the status to be dictating those types of recuriting decisions to the club. I have no doubt that he has input, but I cannot imagine that either Ikin or DD would go along with a recruiting/retention decision that is going to place the club in a weaker position. Their history since coming into their roles is the exact antithesis of this. I think they have just about pulled the right rein with every decision.

The other area where his argument falls down is that I think that Skip has proven that he has a valuable role to play either as a utility or as back up for the halves or a hooker. There is absolutely no reason why we could not contract a better hooker and also keep Billy to fill a utility or a back up role, particularly with Turpin going. Simply because we sign a better hooker does not automatically mean that we must move Walters on.

That is my two cents worth in any event. He is entitled to his view and the point of BHQ is to engender discussion which this is doing.

Agreed, this is the purpose of a forum. However if you put forward a convoluted and not very well articulated argument, you are open game for being shot down when the meaning comes across as nothing like it was apparently supposed to.

The other area where his argument falls down is that I think that Skip has proven that he has a valuable role to play either as a utility or as back up for the halves or a hooker. There is absolutely no reason why we could not contract a better hooker and also keep Billy to fill a utility or a back up role, particularly with Turpin going.
I don’t believe his or my argument has fallen down though. It falls down if we do buy a better hooker as soon as one becomes available for the right price. If better hookers become available and we don’t make a play for them, mchunt is pretty much proven correct. The jury is still out but if better hookers become available and we don’t make them an offer the rest of the forum should concede there is some form of nepotism going on.

I don’t believe his or my argument has fallen down though. It falls down if we do buy a better hooker as soon as one becomes available for the right price. If better hookers become available and we don’t make a play for them, mchunt is pretty much proven correct. The jury is still out but if better hookers become available and we don’t make them an offer the rest of the forum should concede there is some form of nepotism going on.
Maybe, or maybe it means the club are backing Paix and eventually Mozer and think they can win it big w it out going to market. Could be right or wrong but either way it doesn’t have to be because of nepotism

How will you know though if it does not hit the press. The club may in fact be making enquiries of players including making formal or informal offers, but unless someone leaks it, we would never know.

@McHunt does have a valid argument if you accept the premise that recruiting and retention decision making is even to some extent being premised upon ensuring that Skip Walters has a contract with us because Kev is playing some role in that occurring.

If that is happening it is extremely problematic and it becomes even more problematic if the club is not actively seeking a better hooker because of it. There would be no clearer example of a conflict of interest/nepotism than that.

I think (respectfully) where his argument falls down is that Kev (unlike Bennett in the past) does not have the runs on the board in terms of results and premiership experience and the status to be dictating those types of recuriting decisions to the club. I have no doubt that he has input, but I cannot imagine that either Ikin or DD would go along with a recruiting/retention decision that is going to place the club in a weaker position. Their history since coming into their roles is the exact antithesis of this. I think they have just about pulled the right rein with every decision.

The other area where his argument falls down is that I think that Skip has proven that he has a valuable role to play either as a utility or as back up for the halves or a hooker. There is absolutely no reason why we could not contract a better hooker and also keep Billy to fill a utility or a back up role, particularly with Turpin going. Simply because we sign a better hooker does not automatically mean that we must move Walters on.

That is my two cents worth in any event. He is entitled to his view and the point of BHQ is to engender discussion which this is doing.
In regards to "actively seeking a better hooker" I'd say the club is at minimum looking at Mozer as the future hooker for the club.

Where it gets interesting will be Paix given he is off contract at the end of next year I believe... the decision around his retention and Billy's retention could determine whether we are seeking an upgrade on the position or not.

I think Billy is at least a viable utility option in the 17 through to next year, but beyond that he may start getting succeeded.

Gamble and Mam have already succeeded him in the halves and halves depth this year (but Gamble is off contract next year??), and Kelly and Roberts are likely gone this year. There is also potential that by the end of next year Paix and/or Mozer will pass Billy in the hooking rotation (with Turpin leaving).

Billy being there for minimum salary depth across 3 positions isn't the worst (look at SOS getting minutes for Panthers), but by the end of 2023/24 Billy may well be a no. 30 type player on the roster and it will need to be asked whether it's still appropriate to keep him on the roster as a 30yr old 3rd / 4th choice hooker/half OR whether to give the spot to a young guy.

How will you know though if it does not hit the press. The club may in fact be making enquiries of players including making formal or informal offers, but unless someone leaks it, we would never know.
Don’t worry I’ll know. I’ll let you know if it happens 😉

Clarification: I do not think the Broncos should move Billy on, but the other way around. I think Billy should use this year as leverage to secure a starting position elsewhere, most likely the ESL, where his father isn't an issue. This would save his father from the inevitable uncomfortable position of having to drop him, plus it would secure his future.

Billy's record and attitude this year has been great, and he should use that as a springboard. If he extends here - the most likely scenario - he faces stints in the lower grades or snarky comments about nepotism. Neither he nor his father needs that. And hopefully, it's unwarranted.

Maybe I need to stress (yet again), I am talking about the future, not this season. I've got ahead of what I see transpiring as we upgrade the hooker position.

This.

I wonder if we had a chat to Sam Verrells before the Titans just signed him?

Probably never know…

I just noticed this line in the Oates story about him "avoiding the axe:"

"Corey Oates’ future at the Broncos is safe with the fan favourite securing a new deal to stay at Brisbane."​

Maybe we could get James Roby to go around another year. Or at least until Mozer's ready to come off the bench.

Days-Lightweight-Folding-Four-Wheel-Rollator-Walker-with-Padded-Seat.jpg

With clifford rumored to be looking for a release from the knights would it be worth a min wage deal if he were to become available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.