Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Courier Mail reporting we've got Ben Hunt.

Will be official by Monday.
Huge. Only for rest of the year though. Would have been nice to have 2024 and maybe 2025 as well. Perhaps still a chance of extending if we move a couple people on.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The best part is, we can make hooker enjoyable. Remind him of the culture and how good it is to be at the Broncos and keep him on for longer than 4 months until Mozer is ready

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Huge. Only for rest of the year though. Would have been nice to have 2024 and maybe 2025 as well. Perhaps still a chance of extending if we move a couple people on.

Where on earth do you play him?

If we take him on for full seasons past this one, it's a million a year and he's not a proven NRL hooker. We can't afford that.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Huge signing. Gives us the best spine in the comp, on paper, by a long way. I think playing him off the bench is the way to go for the time being with the aim of him playing 60+ mins at 9 come the finals.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017

Button Smash GIF by Jin

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
The best part is, we can make hooker enjoyable. Remind him of the culture and how good it is to be at the Broncos and keep him on for longer than 4 months until Mozer is ready
Surely the alure of post footy jobs could sway him as well. Starting hooker and backup 7/6.

Release Paix and/or Walters, hell, i'd release staggs if we needed the money.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Huge signing. Gives us the best spine in the comp, on paper, by a long way. I think playing him off the bench is the way to go for the time being with the aim of him playing 60+ mins at 9 come the finals.
I'm not so sure on that. Storm is still pretty good with Meaney, Munster, Hughes and Grant.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
If we had to release staggs, our team next year would still be pretty stacked

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Cobbo
4. Mariner
5. Arthurs

Still have the likes of Sailor, Hoeter, Pereira as depth as well who have done a job in the past.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Badel/Rothfield warning ... but here a some key phrases from the article:
  • Broncos have yet to approach Hunt
  • Hunt is "set to" formalise a release from the Dragons as early as Monday
  • Broncos will respect Hunt's contract status and will reach out to the Dragons to discuss an immediate Transfer deal.
  • will only be a 4 month cameo as we aren't looking to sign him long term putting the Titans in the box seat to get Hunt from 2024-2025.
  • Hunt would slot into hooker (which obviously further makes those on the nepotism hill look even more foolish)

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
If we had to release staggs, our team next year would still be pretty stacked

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Cobbo
4. Mariner
5. Arthurs

Still have the likes of Sailor, Hoeter, Pereira as depth as well who have done a job in the past.
Arthars has been playing just as well in the Hostplus cup as he had been in the NRL, any open spot in the backline next season he definitely deserves it.

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Just remember his contract value for next year will be upheld by the NRL to something very close to what dragons signed him for.
I think usually they just make sure they don't sign for more money. They legally can't stop a player from taking a lower offer to relocate to be with family.

They can however stop them from making more money (e.g. Walsh)

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Arthars has been playing just as well in the Hostcup as he had been in the NRL, any open spot in the backline next season he definitely deserves it.
I agree, he's been very impressive and is a good calm bloke that just goes about his business. I'm just saying, if we had to free up some money, i'd be willing to let Staggs go as I don't believe he is offering a lot of value at the reported $750k a season. Add Madden, Paix, Walters as potential people to move on and surely theres some money there.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If this is true (and there is a lot of smoke around this fire so it probably is), I doubt it is for longer than just this year unless he takes like a 70% pay cut and I would imagine that the key decision makers have asked key players in the team how they feel about this before pulling the trigger.

Regardless, if it happens, this is one heck of a team come finals:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Flegler
9. Hunt
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Walters
15. Hetherington
16. Taupau
17. Piakura

That side is the match of Penrith and let’s be honest, there who we are going to need to take down.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think usually they just make sure they don't sign for more money. They legally can't stop a player from taking a lower offer to relocate to be with family.

They can however stop them from making more money (e.g. Walsh)

if a player is under contract, they do that all the time ... it's a different story if they are off contract (unless a club takes the piss by trying to sign an elite player form minimum wage)

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
if a player is under contract, they do that all the time ... it's a different story if they are off contract (unless a club takes the piss by trying to sign an elite player form minimum wage)
They let Lodge walk away from $800k contract or whatever it was at the warriors and go to the Roosters on a development deal.

I'm fairly confident when the are relocating (different states / cities) they have a lot of leniency.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • The Boss
  • Shane Tronc
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • kiwi2
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Smokin' Joe
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.