Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If the Dragons release him to Brisbane they can only get one shot at getting something for him- if he then signs with the Titans they don't get anything from that.

That's why don't think they'll play the game, I think Hunt/Dragons will just deal with the long-term deal.

so are you thinking Hunt sees out the year at the Dragons before heading to the Titans in 2024

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
200k or less or we walk away. This isn’t a kid on the up who every club wants and we will build our future around. This is a fantastic marquee player that we are getting for like 3 months. Not worth a hefty transfer fee. Dragons can take up with the Titans or Dolphins next year.
Wasnt there talk the other day Hunt was willing to fork out some of his own money to get out of the dragons? Wonder if thats still on the table

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Im late to the party.
Are we actually getting Hunt for the rest of the season?

There would be something beautiful about him coming back to the Broncos and winning a premiership here.

It would completely undo the poor bastards 2015 ending.

I got no doubt it is something Ben still carries with him. He has done a lot of good things since 2015 but I got no doubt in my mind it's something he still thinks about, particularly given the rut the Broncos went through as a club not long after.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Dragons pretty much have the position of power on this one, they're going to want an excessive amount of money or someone just as good.

I don't think any clubs have a halfback with Ben Hunt's experience to trade so it's going to be about money.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Dunno if sitting near last with your captain and highest paid wanting out ASAP is a position of power.

They get something for him leaving and meet his requests, or they force him to stay and pay him regardless if they play him or not.

Proper shit spot for them to be in.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
My only concern is whether it will mess with team harmony, but since effectively he would be replacing Paix who has the shits anyway...

Here`s a conspiracy theory worthy of Morkel and Co .
Kevvie and Paix knew Hunt was coming a few weeks back !!!!

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Dunno if sitting near last with your captain and highest paid wanting out ASAP is a position of power.

They get something for him leaving and meet his requests, or they force him to stay and pay him regardless if they play him or not.

Proper shit spot for them to be in.

It can't get any worse for them, not like if they let him go that they'll go on a string of wins and sneak into the 8.

They will undeniably get more out of the team he signs with long-term, rather than the one who he signs with for a few months. My attitude towards all of this is that it's nice if we do get him and somehow take advantage of a terrible situation however at the same time, I know the Dragons will not be happy with financial compensation. He's their halfback and captain.

They are fucked for the next couple of seasons at least without him or someone who can fulfil his role in the team and I think that's what the Dragons board will be thinking about on Monday. The transfer fee, it doesn't do anything for them.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
It would 100% prove nepotism is at play if Walters is selected in 9 while Hunt is available for the team.

Is everyone just giving him a pass this year because he's not been as useless as last season?

Taking Hunt off when the opposition forwards are tired and bringing Billy on makes great sense . Not ...

Play to Hunt`s strengths and Billy`s too. Billy to tackle , Ben to attack . Why waste Hunt`s energy early ?

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I got no doubt it is something Ben still carries with him. He has done a lot of good things since 2015 but I got no doubt in my mind it's something he still thinks about, particularly given the rut the Broncos went through as a club not long after.
Mate. It’s something I still think about, and I was sitting on the couch watching tv I can’t imagine how it must haunt him.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
That's not going to be enough. I am pretty reliably told the Dragons are going to demand money or players to release him. They're not happy just with a bit of cap space.

If Karl is 500k what's Ben Hunt worth to release?

Last week story was Hunt wanted to pay them to let him leave .
So maybe he chips in ?

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
You mean like the storm did with tigers for Nofo last year?

Nofo was sent to them on loan and back to tigers the next year... they didn't even have to pay a fee for him.
Kind of, but that was out of necessity. Technically a club could just see a shortcoming in their squad then target a player to bolster the squad for finals just because they want to.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
If the Dragons release him to Brisbane they can only get one shot at getting something for him- if he then signs with the Titans they don't get anything from that.

That's why don't think they'll play the game, I think Hunt/Dragons will just deal with the long-term deal.

Dragons met in their teepee today and it was an outright disaster. The board is fuming that both Hunt has pressed the red button and also fuming internally at management failing to actually manage. If the PR disaster goes on long enough they will crumble to have it over with and save face. They cant even decide on who in the market they want.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
To be fair. The dragons asked for all this after sacking griffin etc. If that didn't happen I don't think hunt asks for a release. It's not like he forced their hand. He said from the start that if they sacked griffin he was unsure if he would stay. The dragons really can't complain as they benefited from a similar deal with Jack bird not too long ago. Bring Ben Hunt home and let him play hooker for us for the season. Could start or come off the bench. I would say he comes off the bench because he won't know any set plays etc

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
To be fair. The dragons asked for all this after sacking griffin etc. If that didn't happen I don't think hunt asks for a release. It's not like he forced their hand. He said from the start that if they sacked griffin he was unsure if he would stay. The dragons really can't complain as they benefited from a similar deal with Jack bird not too long ago. Bring Ben Hunt home and let him play hooker for us for the season. Could start or come off the bench. I would say he comes off the bench because he won't know any set plays etc
To be fair though, Hook is a terrible coach who oversaw some of the worst recruitment and retention decisions I’ve ever seen and Hunt recently re-signed without any coach clauses only a few months ago.

Hard not to feel for them but i think it’s for the best to start fresh for all involved

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
To be fair though, Hook is a terrible coach who oversaw some of the worst recruitment and retention decisions I’ve ever seen and Hunt recently re-signed without any coach clauses only a few months ago.

Hard not to feel for them but i think it’s for the best to start fresh for all involved
Signing the contract is basically just guaranteeing money through to 2025 though.

Players know that their manager can get them out of a club if needed, because the NRL is to weak to stop anything... and they also know that the NRL will require that guaranteed money to be paid wherever Ben moves to.

He's 33 and they chucked another $2m in front of him... of course he's going to take it.

Now his manager's job is to get him to a team that he wants to play for... whether titans pay that $2m or dragons pay a part of it.

S

Sanjit Joseph

NYC Player
Oct 21, 2017
i think Hunt will start hooker and then Billy comes on to 9 and Hunt just roams around

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
That's not going to be enough. I am pretty reliably told the Dragons are going to demand money or players to release him. They're not happy just with a bit of cap space.

If Karl is 500k what's Ben Hunt worth to release?
I reckon we demanded 500k for Karl for the effort we put in for his development. No?
In case of Ben, he’s a developed product (by us) who’s a marquee player who can’t stand the incompetence of the people running the club. If it’s cash/players, the major share should come from the club that signs him for 24 & 25. Shouldn’t it?

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  • teampjta
  • Jazza
  • Bronx48
  • Brocko
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Howie
  • Old Mate
  • Allo
  • Maddy
  • Galah
  • Dexter
  • Skyblues87
  • Lostboy
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Totally Unr3al
  • upthebroncs
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.