Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'm really liking the player flegler is becoming but in no known dimensions is flegler worth 4 million no matter over how many years the contract is spread. 4 years would be astronomically bad, 5 years would be just as bad with an extra year but still way too much $ per year, 6 years would be closer to the right price (still too much) but then you've got him on a big contract for 6 bloody years, 7 years makes it closer to the right price (still too much) but you don't give a suspension magnet (despite the fact his current jersey is its major contributor) a 7 year contract ffs.
Even if this is a large exaggeration it's still overs, wtf is wrong with manly lol

the reports are that Manly are talking about a 6 year, $4 million offer. which is $666k per year.

the reports also say that the Warriors and Storm are also interested in Flegs

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Wow. Just wow.

If Manly want to throw that much, I say let them have him. Move Patty to front row, play Hetherington at Lock and keep working on our youth from the bench. Flegler may turn into a top shelf front rower one day, but his lapses in discipline mean he's not worth close to 600k+ a year as of now. Currently he is closer to a liability then a net benefit to the side, especially when we're the Broncos and subject to harsher treatment from officials than a lot of others. The last thing we need to be doing is inviting it.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Flegs is a gun and the only real hard man in ur squad but with Haas staying and Patty deserving an upgrade it’s not realistic to keep him. I wouldn’t get into a bidding war, we only need to replace him with a solid impact prop.

S

scobie

QCup Player
Sep 1, 2017
That's insane really. Can't fault him if he takes that. Swap him for Taupau, put the extra 300k towards a hooker. Everyone wins.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Flegs is a gun and the only real hard man in ur squad but with Haas staying and Patty deserving an upgrade it’s not realistic to keep him. I wouldn’t get into a bidding war, we only need to replace him with a solid impact prop.
Really? I think gun is way over the top for Flegs. I have him as solid, with a guy like Patty making the cut for 'gun' status.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Really? I think gun is way over the top for Flegs. I have him as solid, with a guy like Patty making the cut for 'gun' status.

Patty wasn't really a gun until this year and he is a year older than Flegs I think. I'd argue, probably controversially, that Flegs has shown more by the same age as Patty did. Patty then exploded, I reckon Flegs will too.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I meant gun with a fairly generous definition of the word. He isn’t on the same level as Haas or Patty. He’s also a very different player to either.

He’s still very raw but with the right coach and a bit of time he will be an origin staple imo. Don’t forget he’s only just turned 23. He has a lot to work on but if he continues improving I think he’ll become a very good forward by the time he’s 25 or 26 - if Seibold doesn’t ruin him.

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
Flegler is one of the guys I suggested we get rid of at the start of '21 along with TPJ and Lodge. He still hasn't shown that he's worth keeping.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The disappointing thing with Flegler is he's just coming into that age where he is likely to become a solid first grader, but someone else will end up seeing the rewards... he'll also likely become a saint in front of the judiciary as well.

Decisions have to be made though, because we can't be investing heavily in Haas, Patty and Flegler... Patty is a must keep moving forward and the club seem intent on retaining Haas.

The risk could be Haas up and leaving in 2025... on the back of losing Flegler in 2024

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Patty wasn't really a gun until this year and he is a year older than Flegs I think. I'd argue, probably controversially, that Flegs has shown more by the same age as Patty did. Patty then exploded, I reckon Flegs will too.

I think people forget how consistently good Pat was and focus on the 3 or 4 average games he had at the start of 2021. In 2020 he was immense, especially after we lost Haas, look at the game against St George for example. Pat just kept improving and gone up another level where i dont think Flegler has yet. His game hasnt evolved. One thing i would say i feel would help Flegler is give him a defined role. Either tell him he is a bench impact player ( which i think suits his game ) or make him a starter and stick to it.

I think the obvious difference between the two, apart from the obvious issue with Fleglers recklessness, is consistency. Flegler has a lot in his locker. Can offload, great footwork and can score a try, but we dont see him put it all together regularly. Carrigan has always performed consistently well since he made first grade. 2021 is a hard one to judge right now as he got injured, but every other year

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The disappointing thing with Flegler is he's just coming into that age where he is likely to become a solid first grader, but someone else will end up seeing the rewards... he'll also likely become a saint in front of the judiciary as well.

Decisions have to be made though, because we can't be investing heavily in Haas, Patty and Flegler... Patty is a must keep moving forward and the club seem intent on retaining Haas.

The risk could be Haas up and leaving in 2025... on the back of losing Flegler in 2024

Carrigan and Haas are off contract at the same time. Could be an issue.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Flegler is one of the guys I suggested we get rid of at the start of '21 along with TPJ and Lodge. He still hasn't shown that he's worth keeping.
All great talents, but penalty magnets. At their best, Thomas is the weakest, but probably the only one you could hope to shape into a team player. The only one who seems to want to please the coach. I'd still have him over Haas, while Payne saves his mongrel for off the field.

TPJ is such a wasted talent. He has the skills to be an immortal. But not the brain, it seems.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Isnt Flegler currently on more at the moment so its actually a paycut for him 😂

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Isnt Flegler currently on more at the moment so its actually a paycut for him 😂

even if you take the highest figure from the media regarding his contract, it would still be a pay rise for him

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
1) Figures seem insane and probably are. Seems like another manager pumping up numbers and "leaking" to the media in order to get the incumbent to front up more cash.

2) TPJ pretty much proved it was the case, but Flegler will likely be another example of players being penalised harsher while wearing a Broncos jersey. But at least Flegler will be a monster when he is allowed to play, TPJ just got dumber. Take your pick out of our young forwards to see who will become the next target of the NRL to be neutered. Or worse yet they'll go after Carrigan again and ruin his career.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • BruiserMk1
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • The Strapper
  • bb_gun
  • mitch222
  • Skyblues87
  • Old Mate
  • The Don
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.