Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Edwin Ipape is a good one and he's only 23 so he's still got more development to go.

But I don't think there's much point in us trying. Even if Lam lets him go, it's not going to be until 2024 at the very least and with Mozer coming through and earmarked as our future 9, I doubt it's going to be an attractive proposition for Edwin.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Edwin Ipape is a good one and he's only 23 so he's still got more development to go.

But I don't think there's much point in us trying. Even if Lam lets him go, it's not going to be until 2024 at the very least and with Mozer coming through and earmarked as our future 9, I doubt it's going to be an attractive proposition for Edwin.
I dont think mozer will be pulling 80 min games out by then so a second hooker may still be needed and I think the opportunity (even as a bench player) to play in the nrl (and with a QLD club) would be a really appealing to a player from PNG.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yet another centre/winger hoping for a spot at the Broncos:

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

looks like he could be a handy depth player ... I don't think he could force his way into our backline though

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I dont think mozer will be pulling 80 min games out by then so a second hooker may still be needed and I think the opportunity (even as a bench player) to play in the nrl (and with a QLD club) would be a really appealing to a player from PNG.

That's assuming we're going to be the only NRL club chasing him, which after this WC won't be the case.

Coming here to always be second choice and eventually squeezed out when he'll have more opportunity elsewhere in the NRL and in England, I don't see it being that appealing.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

I have no doubt he'll end up like the vast majority of the other backs that have come over from England. He'll struggle to make it in the NRL and end up going back to England.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022

My hypothetical thinking:

Given that Herbie & Oates only signed 1 year deals, we’re not confident they both will be our left edge pairing come 2024. I strongly want them to be but this is NSWRL we’re talking about and anything can happen any hour.

So in that perspective(hypothetical), if this lad comes and embraces the weather, culture and most of all, Brisbane, he could absolutely love it over here which would then make him to perform very well at Seagulls in 2023. It appears from the highlights reel that this lad can play either side of the field with no preference so, come 2024 he could find a starting spot in our 17 IF one of the above 2 mentioned goes in a separate way.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
My hypothetical thinking:

Given that Herbie & Oates only signed 1 year deals, we’re not confident they both will be our left edge pairing come 2024. I strongly want them to be but this is NSWRL we’re talking about and anything can happen any hour.

So in that perspective(hypothetical), if this lad comes and embraces the weather, culture and most of all, Brisbane, he could absolutely love it over here which would then make him to perform very well at Seagulls in 2023. It appears from the highlights reel that this lad can play either side of the field with no preference so, come 2024 he could find a starting spot in our 17 IF one of the above 2 mentioned goes in a separate way.
Don't fancy his chances. The current queue for outside backs looks something like this:

1. Oates
2. Cobbo
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Mariner
6. Hoeter
7. Niu
8. Arthars
9. Pereira
10. Quai-Ward

Plus a few wildcards in the Cup, trying the same thing, like Tristan Sailor.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
He looks just OK in the super league, but seriously he does not look anything like robust enough to cut it in the NRL.

"tell 'im he's dreamin"

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I remember thinking Patty was the next Parker. Just Mr Consistent. Every club need a solid 8 out of 10 that goes to 9 and 10 occasionally. You don't want every player have a 6 out of 10 and then 11 and 12's.
I used to describe Patty when he was first coming through to non-bronco fans as “the next Jai Arrow”. Which I think was accurate early on but he’s developed his game into a different direction.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Billy Walters has officially re-signed and I am SO glad they snapped him up before the November 1 deadline. He is DEFINITELY a higher priority than all of:

Farnworth
Flegler
Jensen
Paix

nice try ... but, you do realise that all those other players you mentioned have a contract for 2023. Billy didn't

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Interestingly, I believe that from next Tuesday, we can approach all of:

Flegler (Sea Eagles)
Farnworth (Dolphins)
Trindall (Sharks)
Fifita (Titans)
Bullemor (Sea Eagles)
Mann (Knights)
Nanai (Cowboys)
Robson (Cowboys)
Luke (Panthers)
Cook (Rabbitohs)
WALKER (Roosters)
Hastings (Tigers)

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • marw
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • Manofoneway
  • theshed
  • Skyblues87
  • Seibs
  • jd87
  • Nerd
  • RolledOates
  • Xzei
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.