Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
No, he said there's a "whisper." Doesn't need any fact checking. It's already more than a whisper now since we're talking about it.

Like I said, even as a rumour it's too light to take seriously other than to file away in your memory for future reference. It's in the context of a much larger article on all the players up for contract.

There would be lots of clubs asking after Herbie right now. You'd hope.

What do you think is his purpose in mentioning it if it isn’t to get clicks and people talking about it?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
What do you think is his purpose in mentioning it if it isn’t to get clicks and people talking about it?
I presume someone told him Herbie's manager has spoken to the Roosters. Herbie's manager should be talking to every club. He probably is talking to them. There's no conspiracy here.

This business about journalists writing about subjects readers want to read about doesn't seem like it needs any further investigation. I feel like I keep having to explain why a newspaper isn't an encyclopedia. It's a gossip rag.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Walker would be great, they fucked up by not signing him as a kid...two young halves could be a bit worrying, but they could also create a dynasty like the Panthers.
I think we have to put a line through Walker, unless the club brings his uncle (s) onboard and I can't see that happening. Or he wants to return to QLD later down the track.

At any rate, I don't think we need him. Might be premature to bank it, but I would not be at all surprised if Walsh - if he stays - transitions into the halves. I reckon it might be a revelation.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I presume someone told him Herbie's manager has spoken to the Roosters. Herbie's manager should be talking to every club. He probably is talking to them. There's no conspiracy here.

This business about journalists writing about subjects readers want to read about doesn't seem like it needs any further investigation. I feel like I keep having to explain why a newspaper isn't an encyclopedia. It's a gossip rag.

So I'm struggling to understand what your issue is with discussing these sorts of articles. It is a gossip rag as you said, as such, why shouldn't it get negative attention when the basis for said rumour is so flimsy at best?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
So I'm struggling to understand what your issue is with discussing these sorts of articles. It is a gossip rag as you said, as such, why shouldn't it get negative attention when the basis for said rumour is so flimsy at best?
I don't have a problem discussing them. I have a problem with one particular poster mouthing off all day every day about his sources and never apologizing when it's he who inevitably is wrong. In this case the rumour was presented as flimsy. There is no basis for attacking it for being presented as foregone conclusion. You might have reason to dislike Crawley - just about everyone does - but this isn't ammuniton to throw on the pyre.

If you're going to attack someone for continually posting misleading information then target the said poster who routinely fails to comprehend what he reads and then relays it all mangled hoping to trigger outrage at the source.

The Roosters have history with Herbie:

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
He wants to leave us to go and play fullback...at a club where they already have two fullbacks...to play left centre...because the Roosters need a left centre...because that's fullback. Crawley has become a bit of a meme.
Crawley is a total tool. Watch him blabber utter garbage whenever Dolphins topic especially, Wayne’s name come up.
As to what Herbie does, in all honesty, we should sign him up long term but I reckon he would make a decision by R10. Hope Kevvie, the coaching team & the players put some W’s early on to sway his mind to stick with us for good.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I guess it's time for another thread to be derailed.... cool

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
I think we have to put a line through Walker, unless the club brings his uncle (s) onboard and I can't see that happening. Or he wants to return to QLD later down the track.

At any rate, I don't think we need him. Might be premature to bank it, but I would not be at all surprised if Walsh - if he stays - transitions into the halves. I reckon it might be a revelation.
i think idealy madden pushes mam hard for that other halves spot while reynolds is playing and when reynolds calls time we have a decent 1 6 and 7 ready to go

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
i think idealy madden pushes mam hard for that other halves spot while reynolds is playing and when reynolds calls time we have a decent 1 6 and 7 ready to go
We also have Karl Oloapu and Harradyn Wilson in the far queue.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Crawley is a total tool. Watch him blabber utter garbage whenever Dolphins topic especially, Wayne’s name come up.
As to what Herbie does, in all honesty, we should sign him up long term but I reckon he would make a decision by R10. Hope Kevvie, the coaching team & the players put some W’s early on to sway his mind to stick with us for good.
We can only pay Herbie as much as he's worth to us, and if he can get more elsewhere or be lured by the prospect of playing in a different position, team or town, then so be it. He has every right to earn as much as he can.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018

Something I can agree with you on. I think we have about as much chance of getting Lebron James to come play for us than we do Walker. Also have a number of options in the 7/6 jerseys going forward. Only issue is I think almost all of them slightly lean toward the side of 6 than 7. Mam, Walsh, Madden, Wilson and Oloapu. I think if we focus our attention on there’s, Selwyns and Blake’s development we don’t really need to look at the market to form a formidable spine of no less than mostly QLDers who have shown loyalty to the club. I know some people will say Walsh hasn’t but I think it speaks volumes he came back to the same club he left on frostyish terms 18 months ago. I think he will have learnt his lesson and definitely won’t be pulling that stunt again anytime soon.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't have a problem discussing them. I have a problem with one particular poster mouthing off all day every day about his sources and never apologizing when it's he who inevitably is wrong. In this case the rumour was presented as flimsy. There is no basis for attacking it for being presented as foregone conclusion. You might have reason to dislike Crawley - just about everyone does - but this isn't ammuniton to throw on the pyre.

If you're going to attack someone for continually posting misleading information then target the said poster who routinely fails to comprehend what he reads and then relays it all mangled hoping to trigger outrage at the source.

The Roosters have history with Herbie:

So put aside your feelings about @Foordy or a minute here and look at the points in question that’s being discussed.

1. You can see that a reporter talking about us losing Herbie to another club because he can earn more money and/or play fullback is a legitimate concern and we all are either likely concerned this could happen or is likely to happen - No problem here, reporting of likely facts - good journalism

2. The Roosters are interested in Herbie - in isolation, could be fact as most if not all clubs would be interested in Herbie - not necessarily great journalism but no argument here

3. The Roosters have well reported salary cap issues and currently have three international fullbacks - not reported but these are important facts

Now here’s the issue. Points 1 and 2 are linked in the SAME article which, in the absence of point 3, would be fine.

Even an article about just point 2 with the Roosters being interested in Herbie in the absence of point 1 and 3, while laughable for other reasons, is fine and would result in ridicule of the Roosters, not Crawley.

However point 3 is a HUGE caveat that is ignored here.

Ergo, in linking points 1 and 2 together and in the knowledge of point 3 as a very important ignored point, you can surely understand why Crawley would cop it for this very contradictory link between Herbie’s reasons for apparently potentially leaving and why the Roosters being interested is misleading and contradictory right?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
So put aside your feelings about @Foordy or a minute here and look at the points in question that’s being discussed.

1. You can see that a reporter talking about us losing Herbie to another club because he can earn more money and/or play fullback is a legitimate concern and we all are either likely concerned this could happen or is likely to happen - No problem here, reporting of likely facts - good journalism

2. The Roosters are interested in Herbie - in isolation, could be fact as most if not all clubs would be interested in Herbie - not necessarily great journalism but no argument here

3. The Roosters have well reported salary cap issues and currently have three international fullbacks - not reported but these are important facts

Now here’s the issue. Points 1 and 2 are linked in the SAME article which, in the absence of point 3, would be fine.

Even an article about just point 2 with the Roosters being interested in Herbie in the absence of point 1 and 3, while laughable for other reasons, is fine and would result in ridicule of the Roosters, not Crawley.

Ergo, in linking points 1 and 2 together and in the knowledge of point 3 as a very important ignored point, you can surely understand why Crawley would cop it for this very contradictory link between Herbie’s reasons for apparently potentially leaving and why the Roosters being interested is misleading and contradictory right?
Wasting too much breath on this. Here is the entirety of what is said. It's two thirds of ****-all in a 1500 word piece mostly on other clubs:

"At the Broncos, Herbie Farnworth is a player expected to attract plenty of attention. The talented Englishman has previously made it known he wants a crack at fullback. But you can’t see that happening while Reece Walsh and Selwyn Cobbo are at the club. There is also a sneaky whisper going around linking Farnworth to the Roosters. While he wouldn’t be going there to play fullback, he would certainly fix a problem at left centre."​
There are way bigger windmills to tilt at in the world of journalistic integrity.

Let me break this down:

"At the Broncos, Herbie Farnworth is a player expected to attract plenty of attention. " FACT
"The talented Englishman has previously made it known he wants a crack at fullback." FACT
"But you can’t see that happening while Reece Walsh and Selwyn Cobbo are at the club." FACT (YMMV)
"There is also a sneaky whisper going around linking Farnworth to the Roosters." PROBABLY
"While he wouldn’t be going there to play fullback, he would certainly fix a problem at left centre." OPINION

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Wasting too much breath on this. Here is the entirety of what is said. It's two thirds of ****-all in a 1500 word piece mostly on other clubs:

"At the Broncos, Herbie Farnworth is a player expected to attract plenty of attention. The talented Englishman has previously made it known he wants a crack at fullback. But you can’t see that happening while Reece Walsh and Selwyn Cobbo are at the club. There is also a sneaky whisper going around linking Farnworth to the Roosters. While he wouldn’t be going there to play fullback, he would certainly fix a problem at left centre."​

So, I’m not sure how you can’t see that this is contradictory.

Even so, if not, I’ll leave it there because this discussion will become completely pointless. If yes, then good, you can see why this is a very obvious point of contention about Crawley.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
So, I’m not sure how you can’t see that this is contradictory.

Even so, if not, I’ll leave it there because this discussion will become completely pointless. If yes, then good, you can see why this is a very obvious point of contention about Crawley.
Every speculation and rumour in that article might not pan out in the end but there is nothing wrong with the way it has been written.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

On this point alone: none of this makes the existence of a rumour linking Herbie to the Roosters false. Note, like Crawley, I specifically said the existence of a rumour, not a forensic examination of the rumour itself, which isn't relevant.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
So according to Zero Tackle, apparently Newcastle are looking at moving on Frizell and Klemmer. Klemmer is no surprise and I guess neither is Frizell because O'Brien is an idiot and doesn't know how to coach but I would be interested in both of them, especially Klemmer.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • The Don
  • mieko
  • Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  • Robboi_321
  • Galah
  • marw
  • Turks85
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.