Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
So according to Zero Tackle, apparently Newcastle are looking at moving on Frizell and Klemmer. Klemmer is no surprise and I guess neither is Frizell because O'Brien is an idiot and doesn't know how to coach but I would be interested in both of them, especially Klemmer.

Although I've always rated Frizell ... I have no doubt his proce tag will be too high.

Actually I'd suspect Klemmers would be as well.

If we needed another backrow, the player I would be targeting would be Gilbert from the Dolphins (who'll be available for the 2024 season)

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Although I've always rated Frizell ... I have no doubt his proce tag will be too high.

If we needed another backrow, the player I would be targeting would be Gilbert from the Dolphins (who'll be available for the 2024 season)

Yep I rate Gilbert too but if somehow we could get Klemmer cheap, especially if heavily subsidised (and I reckon we could give him a good sales pitch too about a fresh start in another state), he'd be a great pick up. Frizell I agree will be too expensive.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
You mean more money at the Roosters, a club who couldn’t afford to register Crichton’s contract until recently because salary cap issues suddenly disappeared due to…off-season I guess?

And his preferred position is…the position he’s currently playing?

So he’d be going for likely less money to play the position he’s wanting to not play?

I mean @Foordy isn’t pulling this assertion from nowhere.

Also, if he wants more money to play his preferred position, there’s literally a club just up the road from where he currently lives who can blow everyone out of the water on both accounts.

So, neither money nor preferred position work in this scenario do they?
It also doesn’t have to be that simple. Maybe Crawley was insinuating(correctly or falsely) that Herbie had been guaranteed a genuine crack at fb next year. That the position was up for grabs. However since we have Walsh now that shot he may have been promised(for lack of a better word) has now evaporated and rightly so, seeing as Walsh is by far our best option there. If this did happen you can understand a player feeling slightly aggrieved or let down in some way.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It also doesn’t have to be that simple. Maybe Crawley was insinuating(correctly or falsely) that Herbie had been guaranteed a genuine crack at fb next year. That the position was up for grabs. However since we have Walsh now that shot he may have been promised(for lack of a better word) has now evaporated and rightly so, seeing as Walsh is by far our best option there. If this did happen you can understand a player feeling slightly aggrieved or let down in some way.
Crawley doesn't need to comment on Herbie wanting to play fullback or the club giving him a shot at trialling there during the preseason. Herbie has said as much, both before and after the club signed Walsh. He shrugged off the competition from Selwyn and Reece as healthy. He didn't comment on Tesi or Te Maire (before he left). The interviews are in the public domain. If he's changed his mind since he hasn't said it publicly.

What's speculation:

1. That he might leave if he doesn't get fullback. (Possibly implied by short one year contract.)​
2. That he feels betrayed the club signed Walsh after giving him the green light to train. (Perfectly understandable).​
3. That Walsh will be guaranteed fullback. (Pretty fair bet.)​
3. That he would leave and play centre/wing at another club for more money. (Also understandable.)​
I'd be astonished if the Roosters sign him, but I'm sure they're capable of putting together some kind of carrot to wave in front of him. I bet some ESL clubs are sniffing after him too.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
FWIW the Broncos are NOT one of the three clubs said to be interested in David Fifita. The Titans think they're going to keep him - on a pay cut.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
i think idealy madden pushes mam hard for that other halves spot while reynolds is playing and when reynolds calls time we have a decent 1 6 and 7 ready to go

What if Madden can usurp Reynolds next season ?
Let the fun and games begin !

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Out of that list, apart from the listed broncos, I would be interested in Hastings. I reckon he’s a bit misunderstood with what went down at Manly. The guy is a bloody good footballer, and I reckon if he got into a good system he could be anything. He ended up with a bit of a chip on his shoulder when he was younger, but from what I know about him now he’s a different lad.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Out of that list, apart from the listed broncos, I would be interested in Hastings. I reckon he’s a bit misunderstood with what went down at Manly. The guy is a bloody good footballer, and I reckon if he got into a good system he could be anything. He ended up with a bit of a chip on his shoulder when he was younger, but from what I know about him now he’s a different lad.
So why is he coming here if he is getting into a good system?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
FWIW the Broncos are NOT one of the three clubs said to be interested in David Fifita. The Titans think they're going to keep him - on a pay cut.
Titans, Dolphins and Roosters.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Gilbert signed a three-year deal with Dolphins.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
On Zero Tackle and NRL.com, he is listed as one year.
Three:

Tristan1990

Tristan1990

QCup Player
Sep 29, 2016
Any love for Klem and Friz? both being shopped around apparently

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
For me, Klemmer definitely.
I think Klemmer would cost about the same as Flegler... he is still top tier in terms of work rate for a prop, it's just that he's not as mobile.

He's not going to move himself to Brisbane on a cut price deal when there are other suitors in Sydney that would still take him

I think both will find a home in Sydney.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
What if Madden can usurp Reynolds next season ?
Let the fun and games begin !
I don't give that any chance of happening, but there's no reason any of our halves couldn't usurp Billy's expected gift of 14. Mal has named two halves - Wighton and Cleary - on the bench against Lebanon. There's some assumption 14 must be your second tier hooker who can fill in at 6/7 because he's done it before but was too shithouse to hold it down so became a hooker. You're more likely to get some spark out of a half who isn't a turnstile in defence. Worst case scenario Madden at 6, Ezra at 14.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Robboi_321
  • Galah
  • marw
  • Turks85
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • Behold
  • Strop
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.