Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Didnt the NRL admit it was a big stuff up though with the Tigers?

I'm not saying the NRL are perfect, but they cant just sweep everything under the carpet all the time. If the evidence is indisputable the Dolphins have tried to entice Mariner to break his contract they will get punished and we need to keep on top of things. Same if there is cast iron proof we did the wrong thing with Oloapu.

No, the NRL made up a rule about a half whistle or some rubbish, the total opposite of admitting they were wrong.

No, the NRL made up a rule about a half whistle or some rubbish, the total opposite of admitting they were wrong.

soft whistle

then pretty much every player and commentator came out claiming to have never heard the term before.

From memory, the NRL admitted that the penalty shouldn't have been given, but refused to admit that the challenge wasn't allowed under the rules (which in the case of captains challenge are vague and poorly written, possibly on purpose), so they invented the soft whistle to justify the challenge

How?

Maybe if you're living on some alternate universe and you have no sense of reality but hey why are we talking about this season, you had him penciled in to be shafted in April, you gave him 1 whole season with a roster he had nothing to do with. A roster that was a basket case.

We won more games than we lost, it was agreed upon that would be a pass mark, that was the general consensus. Usually that gets you into the 8, in 2021 the Titans made the 8 having lost 3 more games than we won in 2022.

I get it, people said if we make the 8, I guarantee you at the time of that being said the underlying belief would be if we did make the 8 we would have had to have won more than we lost, which we did, thanks to Kevvie (you know, the bloke you gave a whole season with a broken squad to miraculously change around).
I never said he should be fired. Mods periodically changed the thread title as a joke which I was fine with because it was funny. Go read that initial post and tell me it isn’t reasonable

I never said he should be fired. Mods periodically changed the thread title as a joke which I was fine with because it was funny. Go read that initial post and tell me it isn’t reasonable

The staff situation was a mess, Donuts didn't even get to the club until halfway through that year, obviously we had some players on huge dollars that were playing like hot garbage. Not sure what you expected, your assessment was unfair. I think Fittler said it best when he said it's hard to coach a team that isn't able to do the non-negotiables, he had to coach them how to compete, imagine that. That's how bad we were.

I will judge him on this next season.

The staff situation was a mess, Donuts didn't even get to the club until halfway through that year, obviously we had some players on huge dollars that were playing like hot garbage. Not sure what you expected, your assessment was unfair. I think Fittler said it best when he said it's hard to coach a team that isn't able to do the non-negotiables, he had to coach them how to compete, imagine that. That's how bad we were.

I will judge him on this next season.
Alright well let’s see how he goes then. So far he’s 0/2 successful seasons. Let’s see what the excuses are next year

Palasia would be lucky to make the 17 for us next year when full strength so it makes sense.

Haas, Flegler, Carrigan, Hetherington and Jensen are likely all ahead of him, and then we have players like Willison and Piakura coming through the ranks as well. Of all the players in our likely "best" 17, the two i'd be willing to move on are Haas and Staggs because of their price tags and pretty average form last year. If staggs doesn't have a good start to the year, i'd be trying to offload him and make sure we retain Herbie and Mariner.
I see no point entertaining a release. We should just hold him till the end of the contract. Letting him go and trying to get someone else for same cost to do his squad role as well as he does is unlikely. It's not like freeing up the funds does much to improve or maintain the squad.

I see no point entertaining a release. We should just hold him till the end of the contract. Letting him go and trying to get someone else for same cost to do his squad role as well as he does is unlikely. It's not like freeing up the funds does much to improve or maintain the squad.
I could see it being potentially worth it to Upgrade Smoothy but probably best to hold on to him.

Haas, Flegler, Patty, Hetherington, and Jensen is a pretty solid middle rotation. Robati on the bench can actually fill in at second row if needed.

Can see Reyno getting a long termer and that being a readymade for the year... but IMO I don't think it really matters. If Walters doesn't make the 8 this year with a team that looks like they've got some consistency, he gets the bullet. I think DD will rip the bandaid off if there's no clear sign. Walters will have been given enough time to coach and build the squad he wants so no sympathy if it does go that way.

Can see Reyno getting a long termer and that being a readymade for the year... but IMO I don't think it really matters. If Walters doesn't make the 8 this year with a team that looks like they've got some consistency, he gets the bullet. I think DD will rip the bandaid off if there's no clear sign. Walters will have been given enough time to coach and build the squad he wants so no sympathy if it does go that way.

And if he doesn't make the 8, no matter how close, he should get the boot. This squad is good enough for top 8 now. Reyno getting a long termer will throw a spanner in that works but the time for excuses is now over.

Keenan Palasia has quit the club and will join the Titans. From Badel:

"The Gold Coast will formally announce Palasia’s acquisition on Thursday ... It is understood Palasia’s Titans deal is worth around $300,000 annually, a significant increase on his estimated Broncos salary of $200,000 next season. Originally off-contract at the end of 2023, Palasia headed to free agency last month after two meetings with Walters at which he confessed to the Broncos coach he was unsure about where he stood in Brisbane’s forward pecking order."​

Keenan Palasia has quit the club and will join the Titans. From Badel:

"The Gold Coast will formally announce Palasia’s acquisition on Thursday ... It is understood Palasia’s Titans deal is worth around $300,000 annually, a significant increase on his estimated Broncos salary of $200,000 next season. Originally off-contract at the end of 2023, Palasia headed to free agency last month after two meetings with Walters at which he confessed to the Broncos coach he was unsure about where he stood in Brisbane’s forward pecking order."​
You mean he could see he wasn't going to get a run and wanted more $$$. 50% Raise is a big thing

I always get a good laugh at Badel's headlines, he could make anyone sound like they're a huge loss.

View attachment 20399

I always get a good laugh at Badel's headlines, he could make anyone sound like they're a huge loss.
Yep, hilarious, but still true, he is a Test star. Up there with Logan Bayliss and Tesi Niu

But Badel can't take the credit for it - headlines are a subeditor's job. Think those are bad though, try the Escape section. I'm sure they piss their pants over how misleading those are.

He just signed like 2 months ago and took less money to stay, so something is strange there. Sounds like Walters got him offside but also Keenan doesn't back himself.
This is the worst form of speculation, but I'll throw it out there because it's a bit of an elephant in the room: I wonder if something has happened between the housemates?

This is the worst form of speculation, but I'll throw it out there because it's a bit of an elephant in the room: I wonder if something has happened between the housemates?
Who are the housemates?

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.