Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Herbie is a try to split the defence 1st type centre .
Passing is secondary . He def has the skills . It`s a mindset thang .

Brenko is a set up the winger type centre .
You won't split the defence if they know 9 times out of 10 you'll never pass. The percentage play becomes to target the ball carrier. I think Herbie is on the verge of creating that level of uncertainty, but I think the percentage play would still be to ignore the winger and try to wrap him up. Obviously easier said than done in his case.

Still, I expect to see some dramatic expansion in his ball play this season. He'll be okay.

Who does?

Several people, I know yourself you've been critical of him in the past. It's not a case of draw and pass in most situations, for him to setup Oates would require a flick a lot of the time and not all players are completely comfortable doing that.

20+ metres out I would expect a draw and pass if we had an overlap but 5-10 metres from the line against a rushing defense, not sure it's a draw and pass situation.

Several people, I know yourself you've been critical of him in the past. It's not a case of draw and pass in most situations, for him to setup Oates would require a flick a lot of the time and not all players are completely comfortable doing that.

20+ metres out I would expect a draw and pass if we had an overlap but 5-10 metres from the line against a rushing defense, not sure it's a draw and pass situation.
Good thing he's a "gun" then.

You won't split the defence if they know 9 times out of 10 you'll never pass. The percentage play becomes to target the ball carrier. I think Herbie is on the verge of creating that level of uncertainty, but I think the percentage play would still be to ignore the winger and try to wrap him up. Obviously easier said than done in his case.

Still, I expect to see some dramatic expansion in his ball play this season. He'll be okay.
He knows what he's doing. He won't pass it until he uses it to win the grand final (when no one will expect it).

I'm one of the long term pro herbie fans. It's a pleasure to see lots of people coming round.

My view for a long time, was wait until the whole club was in a better place, and we'll really start to see some betters plays.

Hard for a centre to get going with a different 5/8th every 2 games

I'm one of the long term pro herbie fans. It's a pleasure to see lots of people coming round.

My view for a long time, was wait until the whole club was in a better place, and we'll really start to see some betters plays.

I think we will see alot more from our outside men this season, 7 and 6 have been locked in all preseason and add Walsh in at 1 there should be alot more understanding out there. Everyone will know their lines to run and timing will be alot smoother. This includes Riki and Capewell on the edges.
Also having Billy/Paix training at 9 all preseason helps alot too for everyone's timing.

I’m a massive fan of Herbie but the kid is hog. I have no doubt he can set up his winger as he has done it. It’s not a lack of skill, it’s a lack of desire.

Text book ball hog. Great player though. Some of the games best centres were hogs. Hodgo was a massive hog until he got older.

I’m a massive fan of Herbie but the kid is hog. I have no doubt he can set up his winger as he has done it. It’s not a lack of skill, it’s a lack of desire.

Text book ball hog. Great player though. Some of the games best centres were hogs. Hodgo was a massive hog until he got older.
I'm off his case for now - because, right before he got injured, he was scoring tries and making an attempt to involve other players - but I'm not sure to what degree it's selfishness or lack of skill. If you routinely never pass you won't develop the skill, but even more the confidence in the skill. It becomes habit.

It was more of a problem in 2021 where he was turning back in field, away from the support, killing the momentum and not scoring tries. It's all very well to make lots of metres, but someone in the team has to convert field position into points. The middles aren't doing it. So one of them has to be Herbie.

If he wants to be the guy who takes it up and tries to bust the line with brute force, move him to second row. He'd kill it there.

I'm optimistic we'll see a new Herbie this season. Walsh will keep him honest.

I'm off his case for now - because, right before he got injured, he was scoring tries and making an attempt to involve other players - but I'm not sure to what degree it's selfishness or lack of skill. If you routinely never pass you won't develop the skill, but even more the confidence in the skill. It becomes habit.

It was more of a problem in 2021 where he was turning back in field, away from the support, killing the momentum and not scoring tries. It's all very well to make lots of metres, but someone in the team has to convert field position into points. The middles aren't doing it. So one of them has to be Herbie.

If he wants to be the guy who takes it up and tries to bust the line with brute force, move him to second row. He'd kill it there.

I'm optimistic we'll see a new Herbie this season. Walsh will keep him honest.
He’s one of my favourite players, if not my favourite. He’s great to watch.

His interview when Sammy Thaiday was giving him shit about not passing gave a pretty good insight into his attitude and that’s of a guy who doesn’t even realise or at least doesn’t accept that he has a issue with hogging.

Oatesy was the teams leading try scorer regardless so the team has obviously adapted to suit Herbie’s strengths and weaknesses on that edge - as seen by the footage of them practicing cutting Herbie out to give Oates early ball. He brings so much to the team that it really isn’t a concern.

With Ponga moving to 5/8, Walsh has a real shot at making origin if he starts strong. Would love to see Herbie get a run at fullback because I think he’d get close to 300 running metres.

His interview when Sammy Thaiday was giving him shit about not passing gave a pretty good insight into his attitude and that’s of a guy who doesn’t even realise or at least doesn’t accept that he has a issue with hogging.

Oatesy was the teams leading try scorer regardless so the team has obviously adapted to suit Herbie’s strengths and weaknesses on that edge - as seen by the footage of them practicing cutting Herbie out to give Oates early ball. He brings so much to the team that it really isn’t a concern.

With Ponga moving to 5/8, Walsh has a real shot at making origin if he starts strong. Would love to see Herbie get a run at fullback because I think he’d get close to 300 running metres.
I was gaslit pretty hard in here for saying he was a hog, but outside this forum he was copping it from everyone. Random sample:

Bit early for me to make an Origin call on Walsh. Even if Ponga is playing in the halves, I think he'll have the jump on 1.

I was gaslit pretty hard in here for saying he was a hog, but outside this forum he was copping it from everyone. Random sample:

Bit early for me to make an Origin call on Walsh. Even if Ponga is playing in the halves, I think he'll have the jump on 1.

Ha, gaslit.. Fucking hell

as much as I think ponga is a quality 1 i think he could be a better bench utility/ think a roaming 6/13 , much like ben hunt but better (if fit).
but I think if walsh can hit the ground running Slater wouldn't hesitate to put him in , he's very similar to Billy with his competitiveness and mouth aswell as skill set. i hope it happens because i think Billy would do him the world of good.

as much as I think ponga is a quality 1 i think he could be a better bench utility/ think a roaming 6/13 , much like ben hunt but better (if fit).
but I think if walsh can hit the ground running Slater wouldn't hesitate to put him in , he's very similar to Billy with his competitiveness and mouth aswell as skill set. i hope it happens because i think Billy would do him the world of good.
Walsh would have to hit the ground running at 200km/h to be a chance this year if Ponga is fit, Ponga has been great for QLD at fullback, especially with not being constrained by O'Brien's system.

Walsh would have to hit the ground running at 200km/h to be a chance this year if Ponga is fit, Ponga has been great for QLD at fullback, especially with not being constrained by O'Brien's system.
yeah not saying he hasn't but sometimes you have to fit players into your team, and I think Ponga would suit the roll hunt has played.
anyway it's theoretical because hunt was great last year too so he'd have to be injured or playing really bad , also walsh would need to be playing out of his skin.
guess what I mean is walsh could very well be the perfect 1 for Slater's style of play.

Nah , Ponga won the last Origin game off his own bat .
He will be Qld #1 unless injured .

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.