Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Melbourne have lost their fair amount of players the last few years, they are just better at being able to keep the right players and replace with smart recruiting. Help to have arguably a top 2 club coach in the game as well.

The last 4 years the Storm have lost Cameron Smith, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, Paul Momirovski, Vunivalu, Josh Addo-Carr, Dale Finucane, Nicho Hynes, Jesse Bromwich, Kenny Bromwich, Felise Kaufusi, Brandon Smith and Juston Olam as well as a heap of depth players.

Broncos problem is getting our players hyped beyond their abilities way too early (maybe a fault of only trying to recruit the most hyped youngsters?) and then having to pay overs to keep them such as Mam and Piakura before they have earnt the contract.

The Storm also do replacements very well and have the two options under ready to go then they just pick.

Storm value the hard work to get there. They have a wall at the Storm with every player and how many Cup games they played and how many NYC games they played. So if you’re feeling like you’re hard done by and shouldn’t be playing Cup it’s right in front of you Cam Smith 28 games Norths. So when a player has to go to the Falcons for 35 games they don’t complain. They don’t have to rush players.

The worry with big red is that he was a Redcliffe junior.

And that his red hot form was across about 6 months or so.... wasn't exactly doing much prior to that and hasn't been sighted since.

If he wants to come to resurrect his career then absolutely go in for him... but if he wants top dollar despite spending basically 12 months out of the game, then it is a massive gamble.

Especially when we have Willison and BTK to retain

He would probably be a better option than Kobe and Baker. Cap wise though, we probably need to move a couple on to bring him in.

I reckon with the upgrades we need to hand out to players we want to keep we arent going to have much room to sign anything but dirt cheap players, and as we have seen with Hunt and Gos, they arent offering much in the way of value for money.

He would probably be a better option than Kobe and Baker. Cap wise though, we probably need to move a couple on to bring him in.

I reckon with the upgrades we need to hand out to players we want to keep we arent going to have much room to sign anything but dirt cheap players, and as we have seen with Hunt and Gos, they arent offering much in the way of value for money.
Come on down Mat Croker

I would say the bigger worry for you blokes in signing him is affording the rumoured $750k a season he is on, according to couple of raiders fans I know. Grossly overpaid if true. Big red and Sticky are apparently no longer on speaking terms.

I would say the bigger worry for you blokes in signing him is affording the rumoured $750k a season he is on, according to couple of raiders fans I know. Grossly overpaid if true. Big red and Sticky are apparently no longer on speaking terms.

His deal was rumoured to be a $2.3 million 3 year deal. I reckon Canberra will stand their ground and not release unless a club takes on his full contract.

His deal was rumoured to be a $2.3 million 3 year deal. I reckon Canberra will stand their ground and not release unless a club takes on his full contract.
Which puts him outside our budget... I'd prefer to keep Willison over bringing Horse in after 12 months of no footy

Which puts him outside our budget... I'd prefer to keep Willison over bringing Horse in after 12 months of no footy
2025 is going to be a year we need to make some tough choices to get our cap sorted. Staggs, Willison, Cobbo, Walsh, Reynolds, Mozer, Smoothy and Hetherington are probably the ones we have to look at the most.

Cobbo i'd let go personally, and i wouldnt be paying Walsh this touted 6 million contract. It will be against most peoples opinion, but i wouldnt pay him a million until he learns how to defend like a top tier fullback. Staggs is another i wouldnt be going overboard on either.

2025 is going to be a year we need to make some tough choices to get our cap sorted. Staggs, Willison, Cobbo, Walsh, Reynolds, Mozer, Smoothy and Hetherington are probably the ones we have to look at the most.

Cobbo i'd let go personally, and i wouldnt be paying Walsh this touted 6 million contract. It will be against most peoples opinion, but i wouldnt pay him a million until he learns how to defend like a top tier fullback. Staggs is another i wouldnt be going overboard on either.
The $1.1m that was originally reported for Walsh feels closer to the mark... he's not earned $1m, but he's a generational player and he is our plan post-Reynolds.

Staggs still has defensive issues, even 7yr into his career... but pending what happens with Cobbo the decision might get made anyway. I actually think if we can secure Staggs on a decent contract he could be an option off the bench later in his career and turn himself into a smaller middle forward like Dylan Walker.

Mozer is an unknown... I feel that we need to retain him, but you just don't want to break the bank for him. A 2yr extension to allow time to re-evaluate further.

Kobe has a lot of ground to make up... but can see him offered a contract... at worst he fills out the Top 30 roster with an NRL standard player.

Willison is basically a must keep, and provides us flexibility with Haas, who comes off contract in 2026... If Haas is wanting a million again you can tell him to go to market, because at least you have Willison there ready to go and possibly BTK.

Smoothy is one where if you can get him to become a stocky middle forward on top of his hooker role then he becomes very serviceable to the team and would be another decent option to round out the Top 30.

The $1.1m that was originally reported for Walsh feels closer to the mark... he's not earned $1m, but he's a generational player and he is our plan post-Reynolds.

Staggs still has defensive issues, even 7yr into his career... but pending what happens with Cobbo the decision might get made anyway. I actually think if we can secure Staggs on a decent contract he could be an option off the bench later in his career and turn himself into a smaller middle forward like Dylan Walker.

Mozer is an unknown... I feel that we need to retain him, but you just don't want to break the bank for him. A 2yr extension to allow time to re-evaluate further.

Kobe has a lot of ground to make up... but can see him offered a contract... at worst he fills out the Top 30 roster with an NRL standard player.

Willison is basically a must keep, and provides us flexibility with Haas, who comes off contract in 2026... If Haas is wanting a million again you can tell him to go to market, because at least you have Willison there ready to go and possibly BTK.

Smoothy is one where if you can get him to become a stocky middle forward on top of his hooker role then he becomes very serviceable to the team and would be another decent option to round out the Top 30.

Its a shame Reece has had so much time off the field because while his attacking game is still top tier, i still think he's not developing enough in terms of general fullback play. I was hoping he would improve that this year but he's had such a stop/start time of things i think its set him back a fair bit.

He's got way too much media hype around him though imo but i think we will get backed into a corner and have to over pay him to keep him.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • theshed
  • Aldo
  • sooticus
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.