Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

He would probably be a better option than Kobe and Baker. Cap wise though, we probably need to move a couple on to bring him in.

I reckon with the upgrades we need to hand out to players we want to keep we arent going to have much room to sign anything but dirt cheap players, and as we have seen with Hunt and Gos, they arent offering much in the way of value for money.
Most of our forwards are awful
Basically anyone would be an upgrade

Its a shame Reece has had so much time off the field because while his attacking game is still top tier, i still think he's not developing enough in terms of general fullback play. I was hoping he would improve that this year but he's had such a stop/start time of things i think its set him back a fair bit.

He's got way too much media hype around him though imo but i think we will get backed into a corner and have to over pay him to keep him.
We will definitely get FOMO and overpay... but that's where the club isn't strong enough.

They're not strong enough to be a place where Reece will take less money to stay, because we're constantly competing... and we're not strong enough in retention to not overpay the second any young player shows an ounce of promise.

But if he wants to stay in Qld we're one of the better options... he just has to realise that if he's asking for $1.4m then he will have absolutely no team around him.

The club should put him on $1m and then just tie it to the cap... if the cap goes up, which it probably will keep doing, then his price keeps going up.

2025 is going to be a year we need to make some tough choices to get our cap sorted. Staggs, Willison, Cobbo, Walsh, Reynolds, Mozer, Smoothy and Hetherington are probably the ones we have to look at the most.

Cobbo i'd let go personally, and i wouldnt be paying Walsh this touted 6 million contract. It will be against most peoples opinion, but i wouldnt pay him a million until he learns how to defend like a top tier fullback. Staggs is another i wouldnt be going overboard on either.
We need guys to stay for less. At the moment they’re staying for more which is crazy. These guys get the best of everything at our club! Walsh probably making more on Instagram than he is at the Broncos this year.

His deal was rumoured to be a $2.3 million 3 year deal. I reckon Canberra will stand their ground and not release unless a club takes on his full contract.
Yikes. That makes it hard to see us bringing him in

Christian Welch
Corey horsburgh
Josh papalii

All south East qld boys on the outer of their clubs on big contracts. Play money ball, whichever one comes the cheapest we get. They all bring different values but all a little bit of what we need.
Horsburgh aggression
Papalii leader on the field
Welch leader off the field

We have to play money ball. Jeral skelton is an absolutely perfect get and klese haas would be awesome for us if cheap as well.

Hunt and baker should go but it's highly unlikely anyone takes up their contracts for less then minimum wage. As bad as they've been they have been in nrl systems for years and it'd be hard to find anything other then squad depth, which they can be.

We can get some dollars for Hethrington I believe, as well as telling smoothy and paix whichever one gets the better deal for us and them can leave (don't sell both, bukowski sounds another year off).

Oates and tapau re-signing are no brainers for me. They'd both take near min wage surely and they are great for the team and great depth and experience.

The cobbo situation is interesting. He needs ro go if this is true and would free up a lot of dollars, and if not true then it still possibly knocks off a bit of cash anyway given he is taking time off and it's obviously dropped his form whilst we support him (although fifita fucked us over after we backed him up so meh).

We need guys to stay for less. At the moment they’re staying for more which is crazy. These guys get the best of everything at our club! Walsh probably making more on Instagram than he is at the Broncos this year.

Apart from Carrigan and Oates, i'm not seeing many taking contract hits and signing on to stay here on less than they can get elsewhere.

It annoys the shit out of me, especially when they all profess their love for the Broncos and how they want the group to stay together but wont sacrifice a bit to help.

Apart from Carrigan and Oates, i'm not seeing many taking contract hits and signing on to stay here on less than they can get elsewhere.

It annoys the shit out of me, especially when they all profess their love for the Broncos and how they want the group to stay together but wont sacrifice a bit to help.
And from what I understand, most of the big contracts have ratchet clauses, too. Making them even worse (if true).

Just poor cap management all round.

Cobbo i'd let go personally, and i wouldnt be paying Walsh this touted 6 million contract. It will be against most peoples opinion, but i wouldnt pay him a million until he learns how to defend like a top tier fullback. Staggs is another i wouldnt be going overboard on either.

Sad to say but yeah , I tend to agree .
Walsh is good in attack . Poor off the ball . Centres are a dime a dozen and spring up out of the ground every preseason .
I thought Selwyn was going to be a generational talent . I have my doubts lately ...

I thought Selwyn was going to be a generational talent . I have my doubts lately ...
The broncos and I have very different thoughts regarding recruitment. I like boring but consistent high work rate players whereas the broncos for the most part go for the exact opposite. Cobbo surprised me last year and looked pretty good for a while this year too but still he wouldn't be anywhere near my squad. I'd take Jessie Arthurs at half price over cobbo any day of the week.

Then again I am just some guy that watches footy from his armchair once a week 😅

You guys are doing it wrong. Work with me here:

I'd hate to lose Baker, absolute gun. Boy I tell you what, I wouldn't want us to lose Baker for Horsebutt, just really stresses me out.
I dunno mate, those 1 metre sideway hitups from kick off really set the platform for us early.

Forget about re-signing Walsh and instead offer Sam Walker the bag!

What's Walsh asking for compared to what Kini's on? It's a bit tongue in check of course, but there's the core of our problem right there.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • The Don
  • Lurker
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • mrtij
  • broncsgoat
  • Mr Fourex
  • Griffo
  • Dexter
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.