Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Our roster needs an overhaul, we just have so many guys on huge money that don't deserve it. I'm giving the following blokes permission to find a new club; Piakura, Paix, Mam, Baker, Hunt, Gosiewski, Riki, Hetherington, Staggs, Cobbo, and Smoothy. They need to find a club to pay their full contract, don't be chipping in for them to play elsewhere. I'd be willing to keep some of them, but they'd need to take big pay cuts. I'm also not offering Walsh 1m+, he simply isn't a complete player yet.

Oh and, sack Kevvie.
Our Roster is so out of balance and if not rectified asap, it will hamper us for years to come. We just can't have so many big earners that we cannot afford decent depth. The players listed by you are pretty much what is needed to be offloaded, but I would add Oates and Peeks. Also with the emergence of Willison and possibly Te Kura, can we really afford to keep Haas on 1.2 a season.
For me the team should be built around Walsh and Patty plus a decent half like Walker and those 3 are the big money earners. Mozer and Billy can share Hooker and Madden could play 6 alongside a decent half. The likes of Arthars, Mariner can fill wing positions, Jensen is fine. That would leave us enough space to bring in a couple of centres and edge players plus experienced forwards. Some will argue that this can't be done in an off season, but it can, there are plenty. There's England, Rugby Union, Qld cup, etc. Plus, there would be plenty of takers for the likes of Cobbo, Mam, Staggs, Riki, Peeks, Haas. Whoever is our coach next season whether KW or someone else, we will not overcome the depth problem or lilly livered piss week mentality without a roster overhaul. We need the Liam Martin Tyson Frizzell, Jadyn Sua Mitch Barnett', Hudson Young type players at our club.

Our Roster is so out of balance and if not rectified asap, it will hamper us for years to come. We just can't have so many big earners that we cannot afford decent depth. The players listed by you are pretty much what is needed to be offloaded, but I would add Oates and Peeks. Also with the emergence of Willison and possibly Te Kura, can we really afford to keep Haas on 1.2 a season.
For me the team should be built around Walsh and Patty plus a decent half like Walker and those 3 are the big money earners. Mozer and Billy can share Hooker and Madden could play 6 alongside a decent half. The likes of Arthars, Mariner can fill wing positions, Jensen is fine. That would leave us enough space to bring in a couple of centres and edge players plus experienced forwards. Some will argue that this can't be done in an off season, but it can, there are plenty. There's England, Rugby Union, Qld cup, etc. Plus, there would be plenty of takers for the likes of Cobbo, Mam, Staggs, Riki, Peeks, Haas. Whoever is our coach next season whether KW or someone else, we will not overcome the depth problem or lilly livered piss week mentality without a roster overhaul. We need the Liam Martin Tyson Frizzell, Jadyn Sua Mitch Barnett', Hudson Young type players at our club.
Not necessarily years to come... I think we've only got like 12 or so players contracted for 2026??

So 18 players are off contract and potentially out the door end of next year.

It's the bonus of doing 2-3 year contracts... it provides a lot of roster flexibility... prior to Ikin we were handing out 4-5yr contracts all over the place, but that changed a bit.

It does mean more work for the R&R team, because they have to stay on top of the roster situation and doing a lot more re-signings or recruitment work... something that they have NOT been doing this year.

We really should've locked down Walsh by now... and beyond him we really should've been sorting out Mozer and Willison, but their values are rising and Nov 1 is getting closer.

When you have Walsh and Mam in your spine, you don't need a gun, big money halfback. you simply need a halfback to bring a good kicking game and lead the team around the field.

Hell, we won a premiership with Shane fucking Perry as our halfback, and that guy was barely NRL standard ... of course we had our money tied up in Lockyer as our gun spine player.

BTW, I'm not saying that Mam or Walsh are as good as Locky (at least not yet) but of all of the "next Lockyer" that we've seen hyped in the media, Walsh resembles him the most.

You’re absolutely right but both Mam and Walsh have some growing up to do. Both just aren’t anywhere near what the pay packet will suggest. Black is talented but expecting him to tell Mam and Walsh what to do is optimistic at best

Big Red apparently all but signed to the Dragons.

Been giving it some thought, and i reckon we really need to do some cap juggling and bring in 2 new back rowers. The 2 i like in Superleague are Mcdonnell from Leeds and Nicholson from Warrington. Not sure if they are gettable, but i reckon they are both better than what we have now. Riki apart from his kick chase just has nothing in his game that threatens the opposition and Piakura is just a liability in defence on and way too much money.

I wouldn't be opposed to having an enquiry about Batemen from the Tigers on a 1 year deal for the right price.

I wouldn't be opposed to having an enquiry about Batemen from the Tigers on a 1 year deal for the right price.
His attitude is not good. Wouldn't cope at our club with how our mental state is at the moment.

Already back in SL on loan and 2 more years on his tigers deal, but I doubt we see him in the NRL again - sounds like a nightmare bloke to deal with from all accounts.

Even if he was a free agent I wouldn’t be going anywhere near him

He is one of the last options we need...we need players who shine when the chips are down and dig in.

We also need someone who isn't about to set off back to England when the season is all but over.

Active Now

• Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.