Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

We have a team that should be competing for the premiership now and for the next 5 years I don’t want to wait to see if black is the guy when walker is looking ready now and will be entering his prime, who is also the same age as our core.

My two cents
And if Black turns out to be no good we've missed our chance.
We know what we'll get with Walker it's unknown what black can do.
Either one is not a band aid fix til something else develops, club has to get this right.

I keep saying Black's hand should be good to go by now give him a run for the last few games and see what he has to offer. No pressure on him the same deal for big Te Kura.

I keep saying Black's hand should be good to go by now give him a run for the last few games and see what he has to offer. No pressure on him the same deal for big Te Kura.
Because throwing an 18 year old to the wolves is really going to solve things. Would prefer him to play Q Cup at the back end of the season instead. He doesn't need to cop some blame for our teams current situation.

I think unfortunately for Black the timing doesn't work for him to be given a shot as the future 7 here, if Reynolds was to retire in 26 it would have given us a chance to see him in First grade with a few games before making the decision, but he is atleast a year or two off for his career trajectory if all things work to align with what the Broncos need.

If he ends up as the Future 7 it's more than likely because our first choice plans didn't workout rather than us committing to him.

And that's all assuming he develops into a star.

Signing Waker would almost certainly put an end to anything regarding him, a Player like Sexton could leave the window open given he would be cheaper and we most likely would have lower time commitment contract too, but that would be at the expense of imo a worse 7, as Walker is a tier better and we likely wouldn't have to change our spine for probably near a decade.

Because throwing an 18 year old to the wolves is really going to solve things. Would prefer him to play Q Cup at the back end of the season instead. He doesn't need to cop some blame for our teams current situation.
Why the hysterics? Playing alongside Reyno in the last couple of games where we have nothing to play for is hardly “throwing him to the wolves”. I’m not suggesting he gets drafted into the first team for keeps or anything. Let him have a taste of first grade and see how he goes.

You really need to chill man. Sounds like you’ve got your knickers in a knot.

Why the hysterics? Playing alongside Reyno in the last couple of games where we have nothing to play for is hardly “throwing him to the wolves”. I’m not suggesting he gets drafted into the first team for keeps or anything. Let him have a taste of first grade and see how he goes.

You really need to chill man. Sounds like you’ve got your knickers in a knot.
Its a lot of pressure to be putting on an 18 year old kid who has barely played Q cup. Last thing you want to do is destroy his confidence with a couple of first grade floggings we could potentially cop in the coming weeks as we have nothing to play for. He is 18, he needs to mature in Q Cup away from the NRL spotlight.
And he will cop some blame for the teams performances because we are the broncos, the media doesn't just say oh he is a few years off so we don't need to worry about his performance. The fans and media eat up all our performances and judge us harshly.

Its a lot of pressure to be putting on an 18 year old kid who has barely played Q cup. Last thing you want to do is destroy his confidence with a couple of first grade floggings we could potentially cop in the coming weeks as we have nothing to play for. He is 18, he needs to mature in Q Cup away from the NRL spotlight.
And he will cop some blame for the teams performances because we are the broncos, the media doesn't just say oh he is a few years off so we don't need to worry about his performance. The fans and media eat up all our performances and judge us harshly.
Do they though? I know I don't. Maybe that's your style, i don't know but I know plenty of "fans' who would like to see him get a go. The fact we are missing a huge chunk of our star players means he gets a free ride in my books.

The youngest player to play first grade was 16 so 18 is not too outrageous especially for a half. I'd think twice if he was being put in the forwards. I don't think it's any pressure at all.

What other realistic option is there though?

I think there are good options outside of our club, just depends on how we want to manage our cap and squad make up to fit them in. Inside the club its a dangerous game to rely on a hyped up half. He might be the answer, but its a massive risk to bank on it. I can remember a time when it seemed Paix was going to be the 7 of the future when he was 18.

We have seen this in the past though. Young kids hyped up to the eyeballs that people just expect to step up to first grade, then fail. Tesi Niu is the poster boy of these types.

Do they though? I know I don't. Maybe that's your style, i don't know but I know plenty of "fans' who would like to see him get a go. The fact we are missing a huge chunk of our star players means he gets a free ride in my books.

The youngest player to play first grade was 16 so 18 is not too outrageous especially for a half. I'd think twice if he was being put in the forwards. I don't think it's any pressure at all.

I think you could give him a run once we know our finals hopes are over. I think its too much right now, especially with Arey fit to throw him in.

I think there are good options outside of our club, just depends on how we want to manage our cap and squad make up to fit them in. Inside the club its a dangerous game to rely on a hyped up half. He might be the answer, but its a massive risk to bank on it. I can remember a time when it seemed Paix was going to be the 7 of the future when he was 18.

We have seen this in the past though. Young kids hyped up to the eyeballs that people just expect to step up to first grade, then fail. Tesi Niu is the poster boy of these types.
I think we should be looking for a mature half to pair with Mam but the options are slim. I’d like to see Walsh and Mam mature enough for it to not be the end of the world if we have a rookie halfback. There is no point developing players if we never give them a crack.

He is back this week.

There is nothing in his three Cup games or 11 Meninga games that says NRL in 24.

He's played 14 games this year and hasn't played in seven weeks.

Drill down further and he's played three games since the Meninga final 12 weeks ago and one of those games he came off at half time- so 2.5 games.

You're screaming out for a disaster letting a 18-year half who has barely played in 12 weeks play NRL.

I think we should be looking for a mature half to pair with Mam but the options are slim. I’d like to see Walsh and Mam mature enough for it to not be the end of the world if we have a rookie halfback. There is no point developing players if we never give them a crack.

They have to earn it though, and not all promising young players are good enough. We cant throw them in and i while i think Black is doing well, i'm not sure he's doing well enough to have earned an NRL shot yet. Needs some game time in Queensland cup imo before we go overboard on him being the answer to replacing Arey.

Speaking of Mam, the talk is always there about him being a 7 but i'm not seeing enough development in his game. I see a lot of similarities in a lot of ways with a player i really rate, Mikey Lewis. Mikey was basically a 6 with a really good running game. He's kept evolving and you watch him this year he's a 7 now with solid game management and a good kicking game on top of his running game. Thats what Mam needs to aspire to do but i dont think he has it in him personally, hope i am wrong.

They have to earn it though, and not all promising young players are good enough. We cant throw them in and i while i think Black is doing well, i'm not sure he's doing well enough to have earned an NRL shot yet. Needs some game time in Queensland cup imo before we go overboard on him being the answer to replacing Arey.

Speaking of Mam, the talk is always there about him being a 7 but i'm not seeing enough development in his game. I see a lot of similarities in a lot of ways with a player i really rate, Mikey Lewis. Mikey was basically a 6 with a really good running game. He's kept evolving and you watch him this year he's a 7 now with solid game management and a good kicking game on top of his running game. Thats what Mam needs to aspire to do but i dont think he has it in him personally, hope i am wrong.
Still time for Mam. He’s got the tools but he’s gotta work harder. I don’t see him being a halfback but he could prove me wrong. No rush for Black either. He’s gotta play good Q cup footy next year for me before he’s considered at NRL level. There’s talent there but as we’ve seen this year talent only gets you so far.

Still time for Mam. He’s got the tools but he’s gotta work harder. I don’t see him being a halfback but he could prove me wrong. No rush for Black either. He’s gotta play good Q cup footy next year for me before he’s considered at NRL level. There’s talent there but as we’ve seen this year talent only gets you so far.
Must admit, i've never seen Mam as a 7.

I think Black could get a run around origin time next year at the earliest... full preseason under his belt and nearing half a season of Qcup.

Also during origin we might get a team that is a bit underdone or a bit depleted... but I wouldn't be expecting him to play anymore than 1 game or so.

He's only like 18 and been playing against kids... he'll need a preseason to get some weight on... get himself some trial games next year in Feb and then a game midseason or so pending what happens with the halves.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Horseheadsup
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.