Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

I was thinking about this last night - is there a chance that Ikin was the bloke that said we shouldn't re-sign Herbie, Flegler etc?

I was thinking about this last night - is there a chance that Ikin was the bloke that said we shouldn't re-sign Herbie, Flegler etc?
We simply couldn't afford them. Pretty simple IMO.

Ikin was pretty much on gardening leave at the backend of 2022 so I doubt it.

I dont necessarily think the decisions to let them go were wrong, but the plan on replacements was wrong.

Cobbo was looking elite at left centre, but his replacement was 5 game rookie in Mariner... who was fine but his strength isnt meter eating so we didnt really replacement the 150m and quick ptb that Herbie brought.

The depth behind Mariner was then an aging Oates, Pereira and Hoeter... relying on them as fulltime first graders if literally anything happened to someone in our back 5 was a ridiculous risk to take.

Flegler was even less of an issue in my mind... Willison and BTK were always coming through and Willison has been one of our best middles.

The issue is that they didnt replace Capewell at all and then panicked on Gos... and their replacements for Palasia havent turned out... although I think Hunt hasn't been given much of a go as a middle forward and I would like to see that before throwing him on the scrap heap.

Baker could end up more like a Jensen replacement to be honest. Starts out as a toiler but gets better the more footy he plays... he needs to get a whole lot more aggression into his game though

Ikin was pretty much on gardening leave at the backend of 2022 so I doubt it.

I dont necessarily think the decisions to let them go were wrong, but the plan on replacements was wrong.

Cobbo was looking elite at left centre, but his replacement was 5 game rookie in Mariner... who was fine but his strength isnt meter eating so we didnt really replacement the 150m and quick ptb that Herbie brought.

The depth behind Mariner was then an aging Oates, Pereira and Hoeter... relying on them as fulltime first graders if literally anything happened to someone in our back 5 was a ridiculous risk to take.

Flegler was even less of an issue in my mind... Willison and BTK were always coming through and Willison has been one of our best middles.

The issue is that they didnt replace Capewell at all and then panicked on Gos... and their replacements for Palasia havent turned out... although I think Hunt hasn't been given much of a go as a middle forward and I would like to see that before throwing him on the scrap heap.

Baker could end up more like a Jensen replacement to be honest. Starts out as a toiler but gets better the more footy he plays... he needs to get a whole lot more aggression into his game though

I think all of this could have worked if we were as lucky with injuries as 2023 though to be honest.

Walker's kicking game is and was so much better than Black's kicking game.

I have said this the last two Meninga seasons- Black kicks high and long out of the right pocket and hopes the winger or fullback drop it.

Sometimes it works, round one this year against Dolphins when Kama dropped them but is Dylan Edwards going to drop three kicks?

In the Origin he kept going to it and New South Wales didn't drop a single one, Black didn't mix it up or kick short or try and upset their rhythm just kept bombing out of the right-hand corner. Stewart kept eating it up and making ground.

I think his one dimensional kicking game is a big reason he hasn't played well in finals.

Walker has kicks off both feet, both sides of his feet and catches fullbacks and wingers out every week and always has.
Rorters are apparently only offering him 900k (on the cap). If he's serious about coming back to Brisbane then I'd be offering a mil and letting Cobbo and/or Staggs walk to make it happen. A spine of Walsh, Mam, Walker, Mozer could be the future Aus/ Qld makeup and is a 10 year+ proposition.

I think all of this could have worked if we were as lucky with injuries as 2023 though to be honest.
Flegler was probably always covered purely because Willison was looking the goods last year before injury, so it was only going to be time before he could step up... it's come quicker than expected though. Also had BTK that was going to be the Willison replacement and play a handful of games.

I think Mariner would've been covered enough if we had at least Pereira available... purely because he can bring run meters with him and was probably still keeping up athletically, but it was a big risk going in with what we did. Oates was struggling a bit with speed last year and then journeymen in Pereira and Hoeter.

If we had two injuries across the back 5 we would've been playing 2 of Oates and Hoeter/Pereira... Our outside backs have only missed 14 games this year which is how many games Oates has played for us... so we haven't been too bad in the outside backs injuries and it's still been a struggle this year.

I think Capewell wasn't really covered even without injuries though... Piakura has struggled to get through the season in general and getting through a full 80mins... but we went in thinking Hunt would be the replacement OR playing Patty out of position, which was knocked on its head after round 1.

Interesting. Seems like there are issues with recruitment and retention. Doesn’t seem to be any good. I think having a prop as your highest paid player is as smart as it sounds.

Would trade Haas for keeping Flegler and Herbie,

Interesting. Seems like there are issues with recruitment and retention. Doesn’t seem to be any good. I think having a prop as your highest paid player is as smart as it sounds.

Would trade Haas for keeping Flegler and Herbie,
so now we'd have a prop that has missed most of the season with a busted shoulder that will most likely cause early retirement, and another expensive centre that should be on the wing and a slightly better meter per game percentage.

so now we'd have a prop that has missed most of the season with a busted shoulder that will most likely cause early retirement, and another expensive centre that should be on the wing and a slightly better meter per game percentage.
Flegler's injury involves using hindsight.. He seemed fine when we finished last season.

Flegs would be fine if he didn’t relocate to Reddy and play in the game that he injured his shoulder in. The old butterfly effect.

Flegler's injury involves using hindsight.. He seemed fine when we finished last season.
correct but was always going to happen, he had issues prior. I think Haas gets a little unfairly judged because he generally always performs , he's still very young for a prop.

Given we keep bungling at R&R, I can totally see us let go of Payne when he’s about his prime years as prop. Some desperate SHITney teams or the 18th team would throw kitchen sink at him. In hindsight though, we’re always spoilt with choices ffs.

I hope you’re right @BroncsFan…
But it would be a neat trick for him to get better as a first grade player! We fired him into the sun, remember?!

Walkers short kicking game is incredible. The amount of times he manages to beat the legs on the line is so impressive.

Walkers short kicking game is incredible. The amount of times he manages to beat the legs on the line is so impressive.
Imagine that with the Broncos #7 on his back.
Roosters Logic = We get rid of Baker & Paix, we have $1.8M to spend on a halfback.
Makes sense.

correct but was always going to happen, he had issues prior. I think Haas gets a little unfairly judged because he generally always performs , he's still very young for a prop.
As we always struggle with bench selections, we also end up needing the big minutes from hass and carrigan.

They both get fatigued because they dont get much help from the outside backs in terms of metres and spend the whole time defending the middle. It blunts their impact.

Rorters are apparently only offering him 900k (on the cap). If he's serious about coming back to Brisbane then I'd be offering a mil and letting Cobbo and/or Staggs walk to make it happen. A spine of Walsh, Mam, Walker, Mozer could be the future Aus/ Qld makeup and is a 10 year+ proposition.
That would be cool

Active Now

• kwomo
  • whykickamoocow
  • Skyblues87
  • Lurker
  • barker
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Spooky1013
  • Fitzy
  • spanky
  • thenry
  • ettybay
  • broncos4life
  • teampjta
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.