Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

Tommy Opacic leaving Hull KR at the end of the year. I think for what he would cost he would be an ideal signing for us on a 12 month deal.
Redcliffe boy though isn't he??

Definitely someone broncos should look at... we have zero depth in the outside backs.

Is Opa someone that might get Euan Aitken'd and turned into a hybrid centre / second rower? might not have the size for it 🤔🤔

Definitely someone broncos should look at... we have zero depth in the outside backs

Yep, he's a Redcliffe junior. His Dad Drago also played there and his oldest boy is with them as well. He's come back here though i reckon.

It was a bit 50/50 about him seeing his contract out there. But him and his partner having a baby, being away from his family for so long with all thats gone on in the last few years, on top of something else that went on will see him back in Australia.

Definitely someone broncos should look at... we have zero depth in the outside backs.

Is Opa someone that might get Euan Aitken'd and turned into a hybrid centre / second rower? might not have the size for it 🤔🤔

He's been playing a fair bit of second row for Hull KR. He used to train there and as a lock when he was at the Broncos as well. He's about 6ft and 100kgs so he can handle second row.

Yep, he's a Redcliffe junior. His Dad Drago also played there and his oldest boy is with them as well. He's come back here though i reckon.

It was a bit 50/50 about him seeing his contract out there. But him and his partner having a baby, being away from his family for so long with all thats gone on in the last few years, on top of something else that went on will see him back in Australia.
....what was the something else,
that went on?

He's been playing a fair bit of second row for Hull KR. He used to train there and as a lock when he was at the Broncos as well. He's about 6ft and 100kgs so he can handle second row.
Increases his value given defence is a big part of his game... he's a footy player as well rather than an athlete... could see him being a pretty handy hybrid just acting as a defensive workhorse on the edge and providing great cover in the backs if anything happens.

Would really like to see broncos go after him with Pereira retiring, Hoeter coming off an ACL (and being off contract) and no backrow depth... seems almost too logical for us to go after him so probably won't happen

Increases his value given defence is a big part of his game... he's a footy player as well rather than an athlete... could see him being a pretty handy hybrid just acting as a defensive workhorse on the edge and providing great cover in the backs if anything happens.

Would really like to see broncos go after him with Pereira retiring, Hoeter coming off an ACL (and being off contract) and no backrow depth... seems almost too logical for us to go after him so probably won't happen

When was the last time we were proactive with anyone, let alone a smart signing like this?

Tommy Opacic leaving Hull KR at the end of the year. I think for what he would cost he would be an ideal signing for us on a 12 month deal.

He`s about 5 years past his use by date .
I reckon he would get beaten for pace regularly in the NRL .

When was the last time we were proactive with anyone, let alone a smart signing like this?
If they re-sign Hoeter and just assume Leota will be Pereira's replacement, then they've learnt nothing from this season and they are taking the easy way out... which is what I feel they did with Rogers re-signing.

I don't have anything against Rogers, but I really don't see the point in adding another half with Madden on the books until 2026?, Billy there until 2026 and having 3 other hookers in the squad, and Black coming though. Falls is also playing at Wynnum (unsure if he is signed there for next year), but at worst you could bring him in as a train and trial player who has already played at NRL level.

If they go after Opa I will see that as the R&R being proactive... but will they.

If they re-sign Hoeter and just assume Leota will be Pereira's replacement, then they've learnt nothing from this season and they are taking the easy way out... which is what I feel they did with Rogers re-signing.

I don't have anything against Rogers, but I really don't see the point in adding another half with Madden on the books until 2026?, Billy there until 2026 and having 3 other hookers in the squad, and Black coming though. Falls is also playing at Wynnum (unsure if he is signed there for next year), but at worst you could bring him in as a train and trial player who has already played at NRL level.

If they go after Opa I will see that as the R&R being proactive... but will they.

Absolutely nothing suggests they will unfortunately. Probably The will pick him up because they actually seem to have a R&R team that actually cares.

He`s about 5 years past his use by date .
I reckon he would get beaten for pace regularly in the NRL .

Thats just nonsense. How on earth he can be 5 years past his use by date when he would have played in a grand final 2 years ago 2022 if it wasnt for injury and he was a big part in their run to the final. You are speaking about him like he's ancient. He's no slower than he was when he was left. He's never relied on speed in how he plays anyway. He must have something going for him in how he plays because when Sivo played next to him he actually looked good in defence. He is a player who might be nothing special, but players around him tend to look better.

He's not a superstar, but he works hard, knows his job, does the 1 percenters every time he plays and is low maintenance. He will come fairly cheap, cant see any downside to him.

I believe Souths and Melbourne have enquired about him which doesnt surprise me. Bellamy has chased him for quite a while. I think his preference would be back to Queensland though. Its not like he's a player who is going to break the bank. He knows what his roll is going to be at this stage of his career.

I would give Opa a 12 month deal.

Very similar to Jack Reed. Not athletic, not the most gifted but gets by on effort and solid defensively.

Whether I would use him in the backrow, not sure. I actually think Hunt was looking decent there. I would like to give him more of a crack to see if he can build on that.

I would give Opa a 12 month deal.

Very similar to Jack Reed. Not athletic, not the most gifted but gets by on effort and solid defensively.

Whether I would use him in the backrow, not sure. I actually think Hunt was looking decent there. I would like to give him more of a crack to see if he can build on that.

He would handle back row fine imo. He the sort of player at his stage in his career you could look at on a year by year basis with 12 month deals.

This. Plenty of youngsters with huge potential don't ever reach it.
Especially play makers, once you step up to NRL level the game gets faster, the gaps get smaller and the defence gets better.

Active Now

• marw
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Waynesaurus
  • scobie
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Xarr
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.