13. Tonie Carroll
Reserves:
14. Greg Eastwood
15. Nick Kenny
16. Isaak Ah Mau
17. Shane Perry

Hoffman To Make NRL Debut
Tue 03.6.2008 - Trad McLean

THE WOW Brisbane Broncos will give another youngster the chance of a lifetime after calling up Josh Hoffman to the NRL today.

Hoffman (pictured) has been in scintillating form for the Broncos Under-20 Toyota Cup side the past couple of months, scoring eight tries in nine games in the National Youth Competition.

That play has seen him rewarded with the no.1 jersey for the Broncos NRL clash with the Dragons in Wollongong on Friday night, the second NYC player to make his top-grade debut this year after Anthony McCullough in round 10.

Hoffman gets his chance with both Karmichael Hunt and Darius Boyd called up to the Queensland State of Origin team, Boyd a bolter as a Maroons winger.

Darren Lockyer, Sam Thaiday and Ben Hannant are also in the Queensland team, while Peter Wallace suits up for the Blues.

Justin Hodges was today suspended for six weeks after taking an early guilty plea to a dangerous throw and will not be available for Queensland for the rest of the series or for the Broncos until round 20.

PJ Marsh was named at halfback for the Broncos, with Shane Perry on the bench. Joel Moon and Nick Emmett will fill the centre positions.

David Taylor returns to the depleted Broncos forward pack, while Isaak Ah Mau will play his second NRL game off the bench.

Great news for Hoffman good to see Marsh starting at halfback.. Pity Perry is on the bench but we may need his experience at some point in the game.

sign of the future with Taylor in the front row....... with boyd now an origin rep clubs will come knocking and while he has taken up his option, the broncos said they wouldnt stand in players way if another deal comes along........

I know some people have said that either/or Stagg/Perry in the halves means an immediate loss. Not so sure about it now - I'm VERY happy that Marsh is in the halves (my preferred option) with Ennis in the hooking role. Think we should go okay there. Perry could actually add some great impact off the bench - even if it's in and around the ruck.

Stoked that Hoffman has got a go at fullback - I thought he could possibly be named on a wing, but wasn't sure if he'd get a baptism of fire by starting at fullback. A big call to make, but he's been in top form and thoroughly deserves it.

Still a great looking forward pack, but I'm not expecting a win from this one. They can definitely do it, just don't want to get my hopes up *too much*

(in saying that, though, Saints without Gas and Cooper are often a very different side)

That's actually not a bad looking team! Very pleased with a youngster being given a crack at fullback, good to see Taylor starting (here's hoping he can do whatever it is he needs to do to get himself a regular first grade spot), and I'm happy Marsh is at half. I'm not convinced about Perry on the bench, but don't really know if there was a better option at the moment. Fantastic forward pack, one that a lot of teams wouldn't be too unhappy about even if it wasn't origin time.

Boo yah, been waiting for Hoffman to get a go! Love Marsh @ 7.

Looking forward to this game! Love watching the baby broncs in action.

I reckon we will give St George a run for their money.

Good luck to whoever is marking Dell! Smash him!!

I like the team (considering the players we have on origin duty). i hope Marsh and Ennis stay on the field for the full 80 minutes. i think that would be really dangerous. i would have liked to have seen McCullough on the bench for Perry (as i really, really hate Perry and i think that McCullough has a bright future with the club) but since Perry is playing when he comes on, i would play him at 5/8 and move Stagg to the backrow.

Andyman said:

I fear the worst for Kemp or Robinson - neither would have faced a bulldozing winger like Dell before

Meat77 said:
Andyman said:

I fear the worst for Kemp or Robinson - neither would have faced a bulldozing winger like Dell before
The closest to Big Dell out on the grounds is Taniel Tuiaki. And he has nothing on big Dell.

Meat77 said:
Andyman said:

Long as they keep their cool, hit him hard and hit his legs icon_thumbs_u

They would have faced Tuiaki...he's a bulldozing winger. :D

While not bulldozing, Inu is freaking massive and easily more athletic than Sailor. Will be a piece of cake compared to last week!

They may have faced Teriyaki previously, but I doubt he was as fired up as Dell is gonna be on Friday!

Anywho, I'll lend my voice to those praising the lineup - looks pretty good to me overall

Thank God Perry is only on the bench. Still, a little too close for comfort.

I like it too. Marsh in 7 is a good move...much better than Perry. Very happy to see Hoffman there. 10 tries in 12 games is not to be sneezed at!

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • heartly87
  • TimWhatley
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • kman
  • Canga
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Galah
  • bb_gun
  • Broncorob
  • Maroon4life
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosAlways
  • Stix
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.