Broncos v Cowboys build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
elyod138

elyod138

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
noisetheory said:
any idea on the cowboys side? i cant remember them having much to offer in the outside backs anyway..

Our backs for the first few rounds will be terrible, Tate and Winterstein are injured and Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa will have to force his way into the team.

Bani and Graham will feature heavily.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Hopefully the 8 on Sammy's back is just a number.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Unsure how Kalifa will do it either given the Q Cup doesn't begin for another 2 weeks.

user_nat

user_nat

NRL Player
Aug 29, 2009
Pretty interesting team.
Not how I would have picked it, but I'm excited to see how they go anyhow.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I like Glenn starting in the backrow - great call from Griffin.

But I'm a bit worried about our go forward with that starting pack though. Going to have rely a lot on Thaiday making runs up the middle, which is a big ask considering he hasn't played so far this year. If Hannant was there with Sam then I'd be quite content haha

And as Coxy said, Hannant's absense will hurt more than Hodges'.

elyod138

elyod138

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
North Queensland Toyota Cowboys
1. Matthew Bowen
2. Ashley Graham
3. Will Tupou
4. Willie Tonga
5. Michael Bani
6. Ray Thompson
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Matthew Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Scott Bolton
12. Glenn Hall
13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange:
14. Ben Jones
15. Leeson Ah Mau
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Ashton Sims
18. Tariq Sims

Coach: Neil Henry

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
elyod138 said:
1. Matthew Bowen
2. Ashley Graham
3. Will Tupou
4. Willie Tonga
5. Michael Bani
6. Ray Thompson
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Matthew Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Scott Bolton
12. Glenn Hall
13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange:
14. Ben Jones
15. Leeson Ah Mau
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Ashton Sims
18. Tariq Sims

Better team than they get credit for. Excellent 1, 7 and 9. Excellent 4, 8, 11, 13. Quality youngsters at 3, 6 and 10. Only so so players are Graham, Bani and Hall in the starting side, but even they are capable.

B

Big_Dave

QCup Player
Mar 15, 2010
The Rock said:
Well yeah, having Hodges or Glenn there won't magically fix anything but it would provide a bit more stability though.

To be honest, I'd prefer to have this backline this year: (On Trial Form)

1. Hoffman
2. Gagai
3. Hodges
4. Glenn
5. Yow Yeh

I don't know why there's this massive rush to push these rookie's through. I think there will be plenty of opportunities for them in the future, they're only young.

Agree. Too many rookies in the centres for mine.

bent

bent

BRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Beale is the only suspect defender. Reed can hold his own, he impressed me in the trials I saw him play in. Hopefully one of our backrowers can play a minder role over that side of the field.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I cannot wait for this game. I hate the off-season, roll on Friday night. For those that are not going to the game what footy food is on the menu?

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
elyod138 said:
1. Matthew Bowen
2. Ashley Graham
3. Will Tupou
4. Willie Tonga
5. Michael Bani
6. Ray Thompson
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Matthew Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Scott Bolton
12. Glenn Hall
13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange:
14. Ben Jones
15. Leeson Ah Mau
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Ashton Sims
18. Tariq Sims

Better team than they get credit for. Excellent 1, 7 and 9. Excellent 4, 8, 11, 13. Quality youngsters at 3, 6 and 10. Only so so players are Graham, Bani and Hall in the starting side, but even they are capable.

+1. If that team had more Tate and Winterstien and less Graham and Bani it would be trouble.

Am I the only person who sees nothing in Alex Glenn? Getting a start over Te'o, geez.

And Thaiday in the front row = Thaiday circa 2008, not the 2010 line break machine. Bit disappointed with team tbh but will leave judgements till after the game.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I think you mean 2009, 2008 he was Broncos player of the year.

You're laying it on a little thick Coxy, but I agree with the general sentiment.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
yep, wouldn't be surprised to see the Cowboys carve us up.

Although Luckily for us they have had a very disrupted offseason as well.

S

Spud

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
TBH on the night I think Thaiday will line up at 2nd Row, Gillett to the bench and Tronc will go to starting prop. Looking forward to it no matter how they run though.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That team would be great of Kemp could squeeze in there... Oh well he will hopefully get a chance at some point this year if he deserves it. The centres look vulnerable but if Reed lives up to his comparisons he will be right.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Bucking Beads said:
That team would be great of Kemp could squeeze in there... Oh well he will hopefully get a chance at some point this year if he deserves it. The centres look vulnerable but if Reed lives up to his comparisons he will be right.

I don't think the centres looks that bad as being made out, Beale is the questionable one defensively I will agree but Reed has shown himself upto the task in the trials and personally I'm glad this is when we are blooding Gagai and Reed early in the season when opposition sides are off the pace. As for Kemp I'd like him to be there too Beads, but his not been upto standard in the offseason and I'd rather he spend time in the Queensland Cup, build up his confidence and wait for an opportunity to open, then shatter his confidence by bringing him back before his ready for a real return.

As for Glenn I got no problem with him starting there in the backrow for this match, he and Parker can handle a lot of workload early on and with Te'o on the bench for impact who can be injected later into the match.

B

Big_Dave

QCup Player
Mar 15, 2010
I would've went with something like this for round 1 with the injuries the team has.
I don't like blooding rookies in centres.

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Alex Glenn
4. Ben Te'o
5. Dane Gagai
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Peter Wallace
8. Shane Tronc
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday
11. Scott Anderson
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Hunt
15. Josh McGuire
16. Dane Carlaw
17. Dunamis Lui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • MrTickyMcG
  • mitch222
  • azza.79
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.