Broncos Vrs Manly - Build up

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Yeah, Macca is not an 80 mins hooker yet.
Although I rate Glenn highly, he's not hooker material either and I can't see anyone else capable of filling the position in the current line-up.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
Foordy said:
Donny said:
Any news on Scott Anderson and Nick Kenny. If both are fit who gets dropped?? I'm thinking Hunt will drop off the bench with Sims to allow our bench to look like

14. Gillet
15. Dodds
16. Kenny
17. Anderson

I think Hunt will stay on the bench... Dodds possibly dropping off

Tough call. Just think with the Manly foward pack we need the extra foward

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
LOL the Manly Pack is a myth, Hunt or Macca on the bench is the best option for our side.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Sharks forward pack is way better than Manly's and we managed that. Although you could say we mostly managed because of Tim LolSmith, but still.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Alec said:
Sharks forward pack is way better than Manly's and we managed that. Although you could say we mostly managed because of Tim LolSmith, but still.
Actually I though we had a bit of trouble controlling the offloads, but it is probably one of the best (if not the best) packs in the comp, especially in that dept. (Gallen, Tupou, Snowden are well known "offenders")

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Bored so I'll name a team.

1. Hoffman
2. Winterstein
3. Glenn
4. Folau
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Tronc
9. McCullough
10. Kenny
11. Thaiday
12. Teo
13. Parker
-------------------
14. Gillett
15. Dodds
16. Anderson
17. Setu

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Team is unchanged.

1 Josh Hoffman
2 Antonio Winterstein
3 Alex Glenn
4 Israel Folau
5 Jharal Yow Yeh
6 Darren Lockyer ©
7 Peter Wallace
8 Shane Tronc
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Lagi Setu
11 Ben Te'o
12 Sam Thaiday
13 Corey Parker
Interchange:
14 Ben Hunt
15 Matt Gillett
16 Mitchell Dodds
17 Ashton Sims

Good move, don't change a winning team.
I have full confidence we can beat Manly.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
My guess is Nick Kenny will come into the team at the expense of Sims.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Coxy said:
My guess is Nick Kenny will come into the team at the expense of Sims.
I don't think he should, why change a winning team, Kenny can have a week in Qcup and get some match fitness.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
To be honest I have a feeling this is a game we'll lose. But it'll be a necessary blip as we learn more about where the team is positioned against the rest of the competition.

My concern is that in the win over the Sharks they actually scored something like 5 line breaks to 1. Defence needs to be tightened up. Scramble is fine, but you can't scramble all year. Need to get that line tighter. Manly have a lot more talent in the back row and fringes than the Sharks and so I think they'll give the Broncos a real working over.

It'll be a close game, but Manly will get the biccies IMO.

Our record at Brookvale is, well, awful too.

2007: lost 18-6
2006: won 16-10
2005: lost 21-20
2000: lost 16-6 (Northern Eagles, not Manly)
1999: drew 26-26
1998: lost 28-4
1995: lost 23-4
1994: lost 21-11
1993: lost 24-8
1992: won 28-12

So 2 wins and a draw in our last 10 visits there in 18 years...not a ground we visit often and wins are even rarer.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
The Sharks pack is with the Eels, the most dangerous in creating second phase plays, due to their offload ability. That's where scramble defense comes in, because there will be holes in the line once you have 3 players commited into a tackle.
Manly doesn't worry me that much in that aspect, and without 2 of their best strike weapons in Lyon and Matai, we really only have to control their young gun halves.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a test because Manly does have quality all over the park.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I don't really know where this should go (maybe we can get an injuries sticky) but:

Beale has a knee injury he will be out for between 4 and 12 weeks depending on how serious it is. he needs an operation for a meniscus tear

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Foordy said:
I don't really know where this should go (maybe we can get an injuries sticky) but:

Beale has a knee injury he will be out for between 4 and 12 weeks depending on how serious it is. he needs an operation for a meniscus tear

the kid has no luck at all, poor bugger.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
jarro65 said:
Lyons looks like he wont be there,

Yeah apparently he retired in the 1999. Pretty good news, he could have carved us up

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
The Rock said:
Was actually 4 line breaks to 2 Coxy but yes, I see your point. Our defence, despite a big improvement in the past 3 games, is still a little bit suspect and I'm not sure if it'll be ready for a Manly team on a Sunday afternoon at Brookie, although no Lyon and Matai will help.

Also, it's supposed to rain again all next weekend and that may actually work in our favour. Manly forwards won't be looking for too many offloads, they'll play a basic game. We can beat them in that sorta game.
Although Stewart and Watmough are as good a 2nd rower as they come, I didn't think Manly played that much of an offloading game in general, but I haven't seen many of their games...

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
SEA EAGLES: Ben Farrar, Michael Robertson, Dean Whare, Kieran Foran, Tony Williams, Chris Bailey, Trent Hodkinson, Jason King (capt), Matt Ballin, Josh Perry, Anthony Watmough, Shane Rodney, Glenn Stewart. Interchange: Joe Galuvao, Brent Kite, Matt Cross, George Rose, Terence Seu Seu (one to be omitted)

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • Jazza
  • Scdeac
  • phoenix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Dash
  • Alec
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.