Broncos Vrs Roosters - Match Thread.

M

markmac

BRL Player
Apr 21, 2008
db1459 said:
The Brizz said:
If we had Moi Moi and Lima instead of Kenny and Tronc we would be the best side in the comp by an absolute mile, our props just don't have the strength to push into the defense and either stay there or make further ground they both consistently get pushed back and/or dominated.

x2

How good was Mose Masoe from the Roosters? Absolute wrecking ball.

I though Tronc was pretty good. Kenny was woeful yet again. I have no idea why he waltzed into the team over Setu and Sims who have done far more this season.

I agree 100%, IH must love Kenny because every game I have watched him play he gets dominated. He also ran sideways tonight instead of playing direct footy which we need from our big men.

Burg

Burg

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
I havn't bothered reading too many of the previous posts so excuse me if I cover old ground. No doubt like all of us to lose a game after such a great comeback was heart breaking and I'm gutted. Still, I think there were so many reasons why we put ourselves in that postion.
1.Winterstein has lost the plot under the high ball.
2. Not enough desperation for the ball on the ground (what was Mac thinking!!!!)
3. Our forwards were dominated for 70 mins of the game
4. Where were our sweaping backline movements the Broncos are known for?
We can say what we like but it won't change the scoreline and now we are in a fight to even make the 8 with the Dragons next week coming off a loss, the Cowboys and rampaging Eels to come, have we run out of steam? Dunno, but if we want to feature in the finals we need to now win a game the experts don't expect us to and that will be either the Dragons or Eels, tough times ahead...

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Apologise as some things are being repeated but:

1) When our forwards get owned... they get owned... not really digging our front row to be completely honest
2) Teo injury = harsh ... I think this could be huge.
3) our 9 situation ... not really liking it but fiddling with it now seems pointless... I don't like having a 9 on the bench - furthermore I don't like the inconsistency of both of our 9s.
4) Wallace - You just never know what you're going to get with this guy... He's one of those players where on GF day you just PRAY the right one turns up - seriously.
5) That Kenny try video ref decision was terrible IMO. I would find it hard to cop if the Broncs were on the wrong end of that decision. The replay shows that Folau was obviously trying to ground it and he lost possession. It doesn't even show that Mini CLEARLY raked it. You can't seriously tell me that the vid ref would have ruled the same deicison on GF night to decide the game - which proves:

the vid ref is MORE inconsistent than Jarryd Hayne (a.k.a the next Wally)

user_nat

user_nat

NRL Player
Aug 29, 2009
I think we would have been better off with a no try. We would have scored again in those 10mins left. Would have given the Roosters less time to come back also.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
tkday said:
We need 4 unanswered tries, all converted, for us to win tonight... lol
Little did you know...

Our defense killed us tonight.
Despite some bad decisions from all ball players and also Gillett's bad offloads, we scored 30 points. At this stage of the comp, that has to be enough to win! How the hell did that SKD nuffie score so many easy tries? [icon_non

Instead we came close in a game where we looked like we had NFI what was going on for 60 mins, while the Chooks studied us well, saw how easily the Titans dominated us through the middle and came with a clear but "simple" game plan to explore our weaknesses:
- Slow line speed in D, which allowed Carney to carve us up by repeatedly running the width of the field without anyone putting a hand on him, so he could pick the hole to put someone through.
- We don't dominate in D, which allowed them to eat up meters through fast play the ball.
- Our lack of aggression in the forwards, allowing them to dominate us and slow our play the ball.
- Kicking the ball out the side line every time they didn't make enough meters to keep them fresh and stop our kick return danger from Hoff and Yow Yeh.
- Make sure they gang up on the high balls towards Folau.

FFS, when we actually got agressive and dominated them in tackles and ran hard at them both in attack and D, we put 4 tries on them in 15 minutes! [eusa_doh

I heard that the Folau try was a dud, but IMO it was a strip in goal with a loose ball being grounded simultaneously by Kenny and a Rooster, ergo… TRY! At least that was the impression I got at the game, watching the repeats…
On the other hand, it seemed like their 80 mtr try was preceded by a knock on by SKD, but I might be wrong and letting my Broncos bias get the better of me.

We obviously cannot have Kenny and Tronc in the forwards at the same time. Tronc was solid as usual, has awesome offloads and justifies his prop jersey, but Kenny didn't bend their players over a single time, either in attack or defense. Dodds D was good as always, and even his attack was better than Kenny’s! Get rid of him and bring Setu, Sims and/or Anderson back. We need mongrel and he just doesn’t have it.
After we lost Te'o, only Parker, Thaiday, McGuire and... Folau! pushed through the Roosters defense.
I thought McCullough was much better than Hunt today, but he is so slow he exasperates me. Twice did a Roosters player come from behind him to snatch a loose ball ahead of him in the space of a few meters. I still remember how that also cost us the game against the Tigers. He seriously has the urgency and reaction speed of a snail.
Winterstein needs to lift his game, especially in D where he’s a liability, but he did score a very good try.
All our playmakers were sub par tonight, but once again were put under too much pressure because of our lack of go forward.
Our second row really is awesome and Gillett a superstar in the making, but he’s trying too hard.
Glenn and Yow Yeh were average while Hoffman’s did some amazing last ditch stuff, another superstar in the making!

The Roosters deserved the win and probably by more, because they wanted it more and showed more urgency to get it.
Can someone explain to me why they play a short kick off to Folau’s side and win it (no one was there to help Izzy), and when they have to defend a short kick, Izzy is again alone trying to win the ball against 3 of them!
I think that pretty much summarised the night… [icon_confu

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
audragon said:
I heard that the Folau try was a dud, but IMO it was a strip in goal with a loose ball being grounded simultaneously by Kenny and a Rooster, ergo… TRY! At least that was the impression I got at the game, watching the repeats…

I was at the game as well and from the replays we saw it did look like a strip and a fair try. I had some Roosters fans next to me and they weren't arguing about it. But from a replay shown after the video ref awarded the try it's clear we got lucky there. Not sure why he didn't look at that one to make sure but from the replays that he did look at not many people at the game were arguing, Roosters fans included.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
We got spanked by the Roosters forwards early on and couldn't bounce back.

For me, watching here on TV, we really didn't have any thrust in the forwards in that first half.

We need more ooomph in attack (and D) early on in the games, otherwise we'll be playing catch-up for the remainder of the season.

The comp has just lifted a gear and we have to go with it.

A good learning curve for our young fellas though, and Hoffman continues to impress greatly. That kid is an absolute superstar of the future

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
audragon said:
On the other hand, it seemed like their 80 mtr try was preceded by a knock on by SKD, but I might be wrong and letting my Broncos bias get the better of me.

Confused me a bit too because a lot of other times that sort of tackle is attempted it is usally called a knock on as the tackler is ruled to have played at the ball. I haven't seen it on the TV yet though.

simmo77

simmo77

QCup Player
Aug 3, 2009
Fozz said:
audragon said:

Confused me a bit too because a lot of other times that sort of tackle is attempted it is usally called a knock on as the tackler is ruled to have played at the ball. I haven't seen it on the TV yet though.

It was very borderline on tv. Commentary team all said that it wasn't a knock on (not that this means anything) but I thoughht there was a case for both sides. If SKD didn't score and had the video ref look at it I would say that it would've been called a knock on as per most other times.

simmo77

simmo77

QCup Player
Aug 3, 2009
I swear we had the wrong attidude going in to this one. We were easy favourites and then it was confirmed that Pearce and Miles were out which made it even easier in the eyes of the players. And then we score a soft try in the 3rd minute and it was just like 'too easy'.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
During the tackle, the Bronocs arm was hit (don't think it was on purpose) & he lost the ball.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
audragon said:
tkday said:
We need 4 unanswered tries, all converted, for us to win tonight... lol
Little did you know...

Our defense killed us tonight.
Despite some bad decisions from all ball players and also Gillett's bad offloads, we scored 30 points. At this stage of the comp, that has to be enough to win! How the hell did that SKD nuffie score so many easy tries? [icon_non

Instead we came close in a game where we looked like we had NFI what was going on for 60 mins, while the Chooks studied us well, saw how easily the Titans dominated us through the middle and came with a clear but "simple" game plan to explore our weaknesses:
- Slow line speed in D, which allowed Carney to carve us up by repeatedly running the width of the field without anyone putting a hand on him, so he could pick the hole to put someone through.
- We don't dominate in D, which allowed them to eat up meters through fast play the ball.
- Our lack of aggression in the forwards, allowing them to dominate us and slow our play the ball.

- Kicking the ball out the side line every time they didn't make enough meters to keep them fresh and stop our kick return danger from Hoff and Yow Yeh.
- Make sure they gang up on the high balls towards Folau.

FFS, when we actually got agressive and dominated them in tackles and ran hard at them both in attack and D, we put 4 tries on them in 15 minutes! [eusa_doh

We obviously cannot have Kenny and Tronc in the forwards at the same time. Tronc was solid as usual, has awesome offloads and justifies his prop jersey, but Kenny didn't bend their players over a single time, either in attack or defense. Dodds D was good as always, and even his attack was better than Kenny’s! Get rid of him and bring Setu, Sims and/or Anderson back. We need mongrel and he just doesn’t have it.
After we lost Te'o, only Parker, Thaiday, McGuire and... Folau! pushed through the Roosters defense.
I thought McCullough was much better than Hunt today, but he is so slow he exasperates me. Twice did a Roosters player come from behind him to snatch a loose ball ahead of him in the space of a few meters. I still remember how that also cost us the game against the Tigers. He seriously has the urgency and reaction speed of a snail.
Winterstein needs to lift his game, especially in D where he’s a liability, but he did score a very good try.
All our playmakers were sub par tonight, but once again were put under too much pressure because of our lack of go forward.
Our second row really is awesome and Gillett a superstar in the making, but he’s trying too hard.
Glenn and Yow Yeh were average while Hoffman’s did some amazing last ditch stuff, another superstar in the making!

The Roosters deserved the win and probably by more, because they wanted it more and showed more urgency to get it.
Can someone explain to me why they play a short kick off to Folau’s side and win it (no one was there to help Izzy), and when they have to defend a short kick, Izzy is again alone trying to win the ball against 3 of them!
I think that pretty much summarised the night… [icon_confu

Amen to that.

Fix the defence as above, we can win every game.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Dang would have been a handy win with the tough run home however the better team won in the end. I'm annoyed we were out enthused for the majority of the contest. With such a close comp every win is crucial and the chooks were more desperate.

Good comeback to save the f/a which was looking shocking. Henjack said that we won't lose any confidence from the game however if we don't win on Sunday it may come back as the loss to haunt us (that and the game against Newcastle ealier this year).

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
There's a few losses that will come back to haunt us IMO. This one, the Knights game, the Raiders, the Tigers and the Panthers. All very winnable games, all where the Broncos were flat for extended periods.

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010
This year has been a very hard one for Broncos fans. I think the players have to really assess their commitment to the Broncos jersey. A big period of this game they showed no heart.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
If we miss the 8, or limp out of the finals, it will be no more and no less than what most of us expected at the start of the year. We knew going in that we had no Hodges and a young squad (the youngest in the comp?) and look how far they've come. They've turned into the most exciting batch of talent coming through, in all positions, in the NRL.

Next year with another off-season under their belts, I think they will give old Mr Lockyer another trophy to lift.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
gUt said:
If we miss the 8, or limp out of the finals, it will be no more and no less than what most of us expected at the start of the year. We knew going in that we had no Hodges and a young squad (the youngest in the comp?) and look how far they've come. They've turned into the most exciting batch of talent coming through, in all positions, in the NRL.

Next year with another off-season under their belts, I think they will give old Mr Lockyer another trophy to lift.

Yep. I had no expectations of a premiership or anything this year, but given the performances over the last 2-3 months I'd be disappointed if they missed the 8.

This young side would benefit from a week of September action.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
My expectations changed when I could see what this team is capable of though. On our day we can beat any team we want. Can't say the same for many teams out there.

Yes, but the ability to beat any team on your day is not enough to be a premiership contender IMO. It's being able to beat any team for a period of 4-6 weeks. Broncos had their run like that, whether they can recapture it again coming into September is something else entirely.

Unread

Active Now

• Maroon4life
  • Galah
  • eggstar10
  • Mr Fourex
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Old Mate
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.