Broncos Vrs Roosters - Match Thread.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Look don't get me wrong, Gillett's ball playing ability as a back rower is a breath of fresh air for the Broncos, something we really haven't had since...well...Tallis, maybe? Even he wasn't really a big offloader.

But Gillett also needs to learn that it's OK to be tackled sometimes.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
for sure.

but im not gonna blame him for pushing them last night, as noone else in the team was doing anything. parker was crabbing across field, wallace was throwing 14 dummies within 5 seconds of getting the ball and then getting tackled, and kenny and tronc mustve been having a picnic out the back. Gillett and Folau were basically all we had going for us in attack.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Anonymous person said:
for sure.

but im not gonna blame him for pushing them last night, as noone else in the team was doing anything. parker was crabbing across field, wallace was throwing 14 dummies within 5 seconds of getting the ball and then getting tackled, and kenny and tronc mustve been having a picnic out the back. Gillett and Folau were basically all we had going for us in attack.

The crabbing across field, running sideways, passing to players barely running...it was horrible.

Others have said it in this thread, when the Broncos resort to their flat style of attack it's awful. The second we get some depth in the backline things happen.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
Just on Parker - I don't mind him hitting the line, pushing the defence away then giving the pass off. It's great.

BUT I hate when he doesn't actually get any offload away, sometimes he just screws around, runs across field, makes another 1 metre, palms off a few other players, runs back, makes an extra metre and then gets tackled. What's the point in that?? It really doesn't do much for the defence, they KNOW he's not going to cut straight through the line and score a try, he's not a centre or a winger so the defence isn't really in 2 minds or anything. It's just a complete waste of time and it KILLS momentum.

If you're going to crab around Mr Parker, please at least do it sparingly and get a ball away while you do it!

I'd like to see him develop a right foot step. He seems to crab to the right and spin, and that's what defence expects. You can basically attack him outside in and that nullifies the hit and spin.

If he were to develop a right foot step he could leave that outside defender in two minds.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
The Rock said:
Just on Parker - I don't mind him hitting the line, pushing the defence away then giving the pass off. It's great.
hes one of the best in the game at that IMO.

but he wasnt doing that last night, not at all. he was doing what you described in the rest of the post.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Anonymous person said:
[quote="The Rock":2x206g8h]Just on Parker - I don't mind him hitting the line, pushing the defence away then giving the pass off. It's great.
hes one of the best in the game at that IMO.

but he wasnt doing that last night, not at all. he was doing what you described in the rest of the post.[/quote:2x206g8h]

Which is what he does when he's going through the motions.

Just like when Locky's not on his game he runs sideways a lot and pushes passes to players not hitting gaps.

The Broncos were so bad last night it's ridiculous, and yet only lost by 4 thanks to that burst of enthusiasm.

Similar to against the Titans, Broncos were horrible that first 50 minutes, but the difference was they had the commitment and enthusiasm in defence.

Need to start better.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
PETERN said:
Lockyer ran a lot more then usual, which is a good sign IMO.

Yes and no. He was kind of forced to by the fact there was nobody to pass to a lot, or they'd overrun him!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
The best about Locky last night was his one on one defense, even against bigger units. He has improved heaps in that dept since last year.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
audragon said:
The best about Locky last night was his one on one defense, even against bigger units. He has improved heaps in that dept since last year.

His defence has been outstanding all year, and since the run to the finals last year really.

I think him being a defensive liability is a massive myth now.

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
Very impressed with the Roosters' number 11 and 14. That 11 is a huge talent.

The biggest change with the Broncos from earlier in the season, obviously apart from the defence and agility, and forever before that is the decoys in the forwards and the reverse plays and switches.

Good days ahead regardless of whether we make the 8 this year or not.

There has been a significant change in the ruck plays and it has made a huge difference.
Well done guys.
There is a a lot to like about the team and its approach.

bent

bent

BRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Didnt like the look of the lineup before the game without Andersn or Setu given a spot, and watching it, I think it showed up in a big way. We didnt have another big forward to come on and run straight when Tronk and kenny were on the bench together. So as has been mentioned we started the sideways shuffle which gets us nowhere. I know Teo got injured which didnt help but if you have seen the roosters play in recent weeks you knew we needed another prop. Lets not forget nate miles was supposed to be there too.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
bent said:
Didnt like the look of the lineup before the game without Andersn or Setu given a spot, and watching it, I think it showed up in a big way. We didnt have another big forward to come on and run straight when Tronk and kenny were on the bench together. So as has been mentioned we started the sideways shuffle which gets us nowhere. I know Teo got injured which didnt help but if you have seen the roosters play in recent weeks you knew we needed another prop. Lets not forget nate miles was supposed to be there too.

I'm not really over the moon about Tronc and Kenny. Don't get me wrong - they are solid decent props but... a starting front row combination??? Hmmmm no offense but it doesn't really scream out firepower... When the team is on a roll they are fine but they cant really provide an 'inspiring' run or anything like that when we really need it.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
ningnangnong said:
Have to praise Hoffman's defence tonight.

Score could have been a lot worse.

Just watched the game again and just wanted to make this point. Hoffman made a big mistake when Nuuasala made the break. Minichiello was on FP-N's inside but we had the defence there to pull him down as soon as he got the ball, was a great chase by McGuire and Yow Yeh was coming across. But Hoffman went for the intercept. Would've been good to see him just tackle the man with the ball considering the inside man was covered and could well have prevented a try.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Jeba said:
ningnangnong said:
Have to praise Hoffman's defence tonight.

Score could have been a lot worse.

Just watched the game again and just wanted to make this point. Hoffman made a big mistake when Nuuasala made the break. Minichiello was on FP-N's inside but we had the defence there to pull him down as soon as he got the ball, was a great chase by McGuire and Yow Yeh was coming across. But Hoffman went for the intercept. Would've been good to see him just tackle the man with the ball considering the inside man was covered and could well have prevented a try.

Yep. Noticed that at the time. But being young and relatively inexperienced at fullback at this level it can be forgiven. So long as he learns from it.

Locky was a master at judging when to attack the man with the ball and when to hold back and give the chasers time to cover the support. Hope he's giving Hoff some tips.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
I never worry about Fullback's being shit under the high ball or in defence at that stage of their career. Pretty much every fullback have these sort of teething problems when they first come into first grade.

For sure. So long as they show they learn and improve, I can forgive mistakes.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
and look, despite making the wrong decision every now and then, Hoffman has probably already made more 1-on-1 try-saving tackles than Hunt did in his entire career lol. you wont see Hoffman going for the shoulder charge on someone running straight for him 10 metres out from the line.

and just think - if he hadve gotten the intercept, youd all be singing his praises for it.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
Oh FSS, don't you find YOURSELF boring?

In EVERY fullback discussion you have to bring up Hunt. You're BORING!!!!

No, that's wrong.

Only sometimes he brings up Hunt. Other times someone else does and then AP brings up Slater :P

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Rambstien
  • Cavalo
  • john1420
  • Lostboy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Santa
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • Johnny92
  • johnyE
  • Xzei
  • davidp
  • azza.79
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Mr Fourex
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.