Broncos Vrs Roosters - Match Thread.

The Rock said:
Good point I suppose. Although we did do that earlier in the year when we beat Melbourne, Gold Coast, Sharks, Manly, Souths etc. All very good wins.

Yeah, as I said, Broncos had their run like that [icon_wink It's whether they can do it again or not.

Needs to start from the Eels game IMO.

We can do it again, next game is when it has to start. I think though if we make grand finals this year the younger side will absolutely choke anyways.

I know they will get it right. I'm not worried.

tkday said:
We can do it again, next game is when it has to start. I think though if we make grand finals this year the younger side will absolutely choke anyways.

Reason I suggest the Eels game is that's round 23. 4 good wins (5 if we've beaten the Cowboys the week before the Eels game) going into the finals with momentum is the key IMO.

In 2006 we started our run with a loss in round 23 (a creditable loss to the Storm at home), and then flogged the pants off the Bulldogs, Eels and Warriors going into the finals.

Huge loss in context of the finals, but maybe results will keep coming our way with other games and our F & A is looking ok.
I can see 3 should win games 1 maybe and 2 probable losses which should be enough to finish around 6th.

As far as last night the better side won. Our impact in D cost us the game soooooo soft.
Still we lost it in the last 3 mins with some bad errors, Locky trying to pass off the ground still on the 3rd then Macca not cleaning up and Gilletts pass inside (2 hands for beginners son). I would hate to see his offloading stifled but its a bad habit he is developing with the one handed pass.

I can't work out how we go from playing with the width we had from the start then go into 1 off rucks for so long then back to playing width again, condition maybe.
Clearly they targeted Troncs lateral movement as a weakness and Carney carved us, like I've been saying in the Wallace thread, there is no replacement for speed it makes the D second guess.

Dexter said:
I can't work out how we go from playing with the width we had from the start then go into 1 off rucks for so long then back to playing width again, condition maybe.

Certainly energy. Or lack thereof. Seemed to be a case of "oh look we're up 6-0 after 4 minutes, this is a gimme" and they slacked off. Once you lose momentum it's very hard to get it back, especially when the penalties aren't coming your way.

Dexter said:
Clearly they targeted Troncs lateral movement as a weakness and Carney carved us, like I've been saying in the Wallace thread, there is no replacement for speed it makes the D second guess.

I noticed this too. One thing I have liked about Wallace is that he does attack the line. BUT, he's slow. I don't know if it's injury, or if he's just tentative, but he seems to decide late to attack the line, and usually his acceleration isn't enough to beat the outside defender.

He certainly is down on form and confidence...and for him to suggest he's playing the best footy of his career boggles my mind.

Coxy I take it you went to the game?
On telly it looked like the refs hammered us for lingering in the ruck but the chooks got away with just a bit more, especially Freind. Every time he was over the top he used the neck for a second movement on the ground and we didn't get a single penalty from it.

Dexter said:
On telly it looked like the refs hammered us for lingering in the ruck but the chooks got away with just a bit more, especially Freind. Every time he was over the top he used the neck for a second movement on the ground and we didn't get a single penalty from it.

Yep. I have sports ears too, and Aeetee will back me up, all we heard all night from Shortall in particular was "Jake! Jake! Jake!"...usually followed by "you're offside" or "hand off the ball" or "movement". And not ONCE did they penalise him.

Then the first time the Broncos held down, Shortall had become the main ref and penalised. And from that point on that was how the game was played - Broncos got off immediately or were penalised, Roosters were lying on the ruck and just warned repeatedly. It's fucked.

Frankly I miss the Super League year and 1998/99 where play the balls were lightning quick because refs didn't tolerate any lingering in the tackle. Now it's about who plays the referee better, and that's fucking bullshit.

There was also an occasion where Shortall was saying "Penalty hand on ball, penalty hand on ball, penalty hand on ball" while the Broncos were attacking and Archer ignored him!

Disappointing loss with the way we played, especially the lack of commitment in defence. But realistically, with the 3 games against the Titans, Roosters and St George, I think most of us would have budgeted one or two wins out of the three. We need to lift against St George and that will get us back on track. We never seem to play well on Monday nights, so a sunday afternoon game in Brissie might lift them.

Coxy said:
Dexter said:

Yep. I have sports ears too, and Aeetee will back me up, all we heard all night from Shortall in particular was "Jake! Jake! Jake!"...usually followed by "you're offside" or "hand off the ball" or "movement". And not ONCE did they penalise him.

Then the first time the Broncos held down, Shortall had become the main ref and penalised. And from that point on that was how the game was played - Broncos got off immediately or were penalised, Roosters were lying on the ruck and just warned repeatedly. It's ****.

Frankly I miss the Super League year and 1998/99 where play the balls were lightning quick because refs didn't tolerate any lingering in the tackle. Now it's about who plays the referee better, and that's **** bullshit.

There was also an occasion where Shortall was saying "Penalty hand on ball, penalty hand on ball, penalty hand on ball" while the Broncos were attacking and Archer ignored him!
Thanks for that, and its exactly how it came up on telly. That is when we lost control of the game but it may have been because of the F@#cked out dominant interpretation, we just didn't dominate but they looked like they got their dominance from second movements and late 3rd man in tackles.

havent read the thread so dont know if its been said, but boy oh boy, wallace certainly has a knack for killing plays. so many times he gets the ball slowly drifts across just looking like he doesnt know what to do, then gets tackled. he waits far too long to make decisions, often putting the potential pass receiver in line to get hammered as hes catching the ball.

and what is his problem with kicking? can he not catch a ball then kick it within 5 seconds? absolutely dreadful the number of times he gets almost tackled before getting the ball away, or makes a terrible kick because he takes too long and then has to rush it. if this is his career best form, id be tearing up his contract on the spot.

McCullough needs to learn how to pick up the ball and pass in one motion. how a hooker gets to first grade without that basic skill boggles my mind.

Folau, boy oh boy are we going to miss him. 5-10m out from the line, with a full head of steam, hes near unstoppable. IMO he will be the worst loss the club has ever had - and the NRL too - as he is just coming along in leaps and bounds as a centre.

Hoffman, absolutely brilliant. made some absolutely pearlers that stopped deadset certain tries. without him we lose by 20.

Gillett, that 'offload' that resulted in the try was not his fault. it was a hospital pass by wallace, combined with a good tackle. we NEED him to keep offloading, its what got us back in that game.

Lockyer, played well, but was very uncharacteristic in his batting the ball back under pressure in the last few minutes resulting in lost posession. played well apart from that.

Todd Carney, now THATS how a halfback.....i mean *fullback* should play ;)

I saw all these people saying Gillett needs to calm down on the offload, but I agree with you on this AP. He needs to keep it up, it's part of what makes him great. When he offloads it's so much more dangerous. And you're right, the ball from Wallace was a shocker so you can't blame him completely. I'm so dissapointed at Wallace, we know what he can do, but he's just not doing it at the moment.

The importance of making the 8 this year is astronomical. Same situation next year - BIG elimination game against the Dogs or Eels or something of the like - imagine what the experience this year would do for the young guns.

BTW - One team I'm over confident about taking on in the finals is the Eels... I don't think the Eels have the mental steel to take us on in pressure games... however I am weary of a Manly.

Last night it looked as though the team all heard the same message. The one about the Roosters being ripe for the plucking with their half gone and there best go forward depleted. Should be easy enough. I thought we only had 12 on the field in the first half. They did'nt lose their ability in the game so providing the message is heeded and a shift in mindset ensues then we should still make a mark in the finals this year. WB St George and Suncorp should provide a stern enough test. Broncs must win or dam near in a tight contest to simply prove it once more to themselves that they belong in the big games...this is the biggy

tkday said:
I saw all these people saying Gillett needs to calm down on the offload, but I agree with you on this AP. He needs to keep it up, it's part of what makes him great. When he offloads it's so much more dangerous. And you're right, the ball from Wallace was a shocker so you can't blame him completely. I'm so dissapointed at Wallace, we know what he can do, but he's just not doing it at the moment.

Agreed, the last thing i want to see if the broncos stifle yet another promising offloader's abilities. Over the years the broncos have liked to keep the game plan for forwards simple and have really taken offloading out of the teams priorities. Its not coincidence that Gillet is probably are best attacking forward and that he happens to possess a great offload

QUEENSLANDER said:
tkday said:

Agreed, the last thing i want to see if the broncos stifle yet another promising offloader's abilities. Over the years the broncos have liked to keep the game plan for forwards simple and have really taken offloading out of the teams priorities. Its not coincidence that Gillet is probably are best attacking forward and that he happens to possess a great offload

I'm not saying stop the offload, I'm saying learn to pick the right time. He forced some in the first half and it resulted in errors and putting the receiver under pressure.

Coxy said:
I'm not saying stop the offload, I'm saying learn to pick the right time. He forced some in the first half and it resulted in errors and putting the receiver under pressure.
well the alternative is we let wallace throw all the passes......bootlace and hospital passes for all!

ill take gilletts offloads [icon_lol1.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Dreaglor
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.