Broncos Vs. Panthers - Telecast & Post-Match Discussion

Beale said:
TBH I think Kenny is rubbish, always gets dominated, slow getting back in the line...nice guy, but had enough of him

Couldn't agree more.

And Wallace ... played 40 mins if that of good football, otherwise he looked bored, dazed, hung-over.

Lockyer should not have played. Strategically, Norman should have started: Lockyer gave his everything on Weds. Blind Freddy would have known he had nothing left in the tank 3 days later in a match against a smart team who really wanted to win. No wonder he was sooo flat. It would have been a great chance for Norman to get some more experience.

Beale said:
TBH I think Kenny is rubbish, always gets dominated, slow getting back in the line...nice guy, but had enough of him

Hahaha, are you serious?

He hasn't played since round four, give him some time to get back into form.

At the end of last season, he was being touted as a possible selection for Australia.

Honestly. :roll:

ningnangnong said:
Beale said:

Hahaha, are you serious?

At the end of last season, he was being touted as a possible selection for Australia.

Really? Every time I've seen Kenny play he makes absolutely NO impact, gets monstered most of the time.

He tries hard. He's just not the goods.

He sure is the goods. Any prop plays crap after a long lay off, he'll need 2-3 games to get back to full strength and he will be great again.

ningnangnong said:
Beale said:

Hahaha, are you serious?

He should've been given his time to get fit in Q Cup.

I thought that game was very slow. The Panthers were pretty average in attack and I thought we did alright when we defended our line. We probably should've rested Locky IMO.

I noticed that when Hunt came on, we had a bit of spark...or is it just me?

Coxy said:
ningnangnong said:
Beale said:

Hahaha, are you serious?

He should've been given his time to get fit in Q Cup.

I agree, but I'm not Ivan!

Disappointing but I think a few of you are getting far too upset. We are the only team this season to win 5 games in a row, which shows it is very hard to keep your momentum up for extended periods throughout the season.

Having said that, I think we need to really decide who our best front rowers are. Kenny still looked short of a gallop so I think a week or two in the QCup for him would be beneficial. Just to find his feet a bit after a fair lay-off (although admittedly tonight wasn't the night to do that after injuries to Setu and Anderson). At the moment I would think Tronc has his spot sealed up, and probably Setu the other starting front rower. For the 2 bench spots (alongside Hunt and Gillett) I think we just need to find our best 2 and stick with them, not rotate between Anderson, Dodds, Kenny and McGuire.

No regrets about playing Lockyer IMO, he just had an off night is all. Happens to the best of them, and not sure Norman would've been the match winner.

Oh and the decision not to allow Yow Yeh's try absolutely baffles me.

KrispyKris said:
I thought that game was very slow. The Panthers were pretty average in attack and I thought we did alright when we defended our line. We probably should've rested Locky IMO.

I noticed that when Hunt came on, we had a bit of spark...or is it just me?

I say just you Kris cause tonight I reckon Hunt gave us nothing and when he went off and Macca came back on at the end we seemed have more direction.

All in all a crap game with nothing there, Penrith are a boring side and will bore opposition sides to death but they play winning football with a no frills side, kudos to Matt Elliott.

I said earlier in the week Locky should have been rested and tonight proved my point (good to see rbk agree [icon_wink ). Nothing to take from that game lets just hope is a hiccup and we get back on track next week, Hoff was the best out there for mine, then probably Teo and Daylight

Hunt was better with the football in hand, made some better runs.

McCullough is the superior defender.

That's what it comes down to.

The intensity wasn't there simple as that.
The whole game was rather dull and boring

Back from the game, still a bit disappointed but looking at the positives...

- Went to 4 footy games at Suncorp in one week, with a massive win by the Broncs and THAT Origin game! icon_thumbs_u
- Despite having a horror night with the ball handling, we defended quite well (bar that last try, FFS Sims! [eusa_doh ).
- We played the 2nd placed team in the comp, had a shocking night, were robbed of a try and still managed to be in the game until the very last minute.
- Hoffman is getting better by the week!

It was bound to happen after such a good run, and we had a colective miss. Of the Origin boys, only Folau played at his usual standard, Locky (he is old and over the hill after all :roll: ) and Thaiday were very flat tonight.
I had the distinct feeling the boys were trying a bit too hard and that generally doesn't work well. We were our worst enemies... [icon_non

We un-characteristically dropped too much ball, missed intensity in our runs, lacked concentration and the platform laid by the forwards was poor. It was always going to be difficult to beat Penrith playing like that.
Kenny shouldn't have played yet, he is clearly not in form returning from a long injury and even though Setu and Anderson are injured, I think McGuire would have deserved the spot based on last week's performance, and would probably have produced more meters than Kenny.

The referee may have cost us the game with that shocking no try decision against Yow Yeh. It would have put us in front and made them chase the result. Besides, it's very unlickely they would have scored that intercept try a minute later.
Given the final result and the fact we were within a try 1 minute from the end, I think Badger needs to be sacked for he had a determining influence on the end result.
Also, without the benefit of reviewing the game video, it was my impression that their "in your face" defense was quite often based on off side positioning, not sanctioned by either ref... [icon_thumbs_do

A final word on the Panthers. I honestly expected more from them, but besides the "kick and hope for the best", they have nothing. Coote is very good and dangerous though!
Like the Dragons, they will choke come finals time, because they won't have another gear!

Great post, audragon.

I agree especially with the last bit. The Panthers have one signature move when they're within 30m of the line, and that is kick it near the posts for Coote to regather. Other than that, they look quite tame in attack and I really can't see them having a big impact come finals time.

They're grinding out results though, so good on 'em.

Agree with what is being said - a very very frustrating game for a lot of reasons. My Panther's fan sister in law was trying to heap it on me after the game and I just repeated what everyone on here has said (ie. horrible reffing, worst game we have played in 6 weeks, still were in it until the last minute).

I can't believe Penrith are 2nd on the ladder- a half decent side last night would have flogged them by 30+. The bookies have the Broncos and Penrith as equal premiership favourites, so that's another point I would relay to Panther's fans. Come September I see them making a quick exit in straight sets ala St George last year.

But good on them for winning, what they did do is take their (few) chances when they were there.

Up until his last minute f*** up, I actually thought Sims was our hardest running forward.

Oh, and Hunt is loads better than Macca out of Dummy half. Faster service and knows when to run and when to just pass it to locky.

Not too bad though, a good reality check for the yougsters (and maybe even Locky!). Let's smash those eels next week and get back on track!

The Panthers are on top of the table for a good reason. They win matches against good sides. Who gives a toss how they do it.

I posted earlier that they would be our first real test - a good team at full strength playing winning football. We wilted against a side who came to win. Their 1 6 7 and 9 played well. They defended well. They played as a team.

Yes, the usual "Origin" excuse, and appalling refereeing are sound excuses, but a good side found us out. It was an excellent learning curve.

All we need is that full-on go-forward up the middle, Gillett, Thaiday and Te'o running rampant on the edges of the ruck, and better execution. With that, we'll beat any side.

A little worried about Tronc as well. His (average) lateral defense is really starting to get exposed at times.

Didn't really think Kenny was that bad either. Thought he gave us some good go forward. Will be better for the run.

From my perspective: The refs were on Brisbanes back from the get go. It was very noticeable on the audio. Penrith were off-side as a tactic and were allowed to get away with an enormous amount. The high camera angles high lighted it. Kenny was not poor but I agree would have benefited with a run or two in the lower grade. Tronc did not put himself in front of the opposing forwards, rather he was arm tackling high. Very unhappy with his positioning.

Terrible decision not to at least check Yow Yehs try. Be up 10 or 12-4 if awarded as was fitting. Lockyers pass for the intercept was predictable. He did'nt get the extra second to think with the constant off side.

Considering how flat we looked and the very poor refereeing performance we did rather well and should do even better at the business end of the season. Henjaks going alright and I'm only half convinced about his ability but will eat humble pie if he performs till the end of the season. All in all, we're okay. Go you f.ark.in good things.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Swordfish
  • Old Mate
  • GCBRONCO
  • lynx000
  • Midean
  • Fatboy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • MrMoore
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.