Broncos Vs Raiders - Team lists, pre & post game discusson

Russo said:
mick! said:
The fact that the Raiders' only try came a few tackles after arguably the worst refereeing decision this decade (the one on one strip over the line, of course) is testament to a very committed defensive display.

The worst decision that was 110% correct Mick, is that the one you are referring to [icon_wink , as rocky said above the call was correct. Had the strip occurred over the line then it would have been play on, but instead Hodges missed him meaning he was still 1st man in the tackle, Kemp 2nd therefore an illegal strip.

Ahhh but strips are allowed when it comes to scoring a try, not just over the line from what I've heard. Like if there are two defenders on a play and he's going to put the ball down, one of the two defenders can knock it out.

Pretty clear that Best was in the act of scoring a try there IMO. Regardless, the fact that the Raiders had around a dozen sets attacking our line, I thought it was phenomenal to keep a team out the way we did. Amazing and committed performance.

1. Hodges missed the tackle, that would put Kemp 1 on 1 with Best...strips are legal when it is 1 on 1 no?
2. Even if Hodges is considered to be part of the tackle, as Mick said, the rule is now that when going for a try, the ball can be raked out regardless of the amount of players in the tackle. And I'm pretty damn sure Best was going for a try.

Very poor refereeing. And the fact that Archer couldn't be told otherwise makes it worse IMO.

mick! said:
Russo said:
[quote="mick!":2wnwssk2]
The fact that the Raiders' only try came a few tackles after arguably the worst refereeing decision this decade (the one on one strip over the line, of course) is testament to a very committed defensive display.

The worst decision that was 110% correct Mick, is that the one you are referring to [icon_wink , as rocky said above the call was correct. Had the strip occurred over the line then it would have been play on, but instead Hodges missed him meaning he was still 1st man in the tackle, Kemp 2nd therefore an illegal strip.

Ahhh but strips are allowed when it comes to scoring a try, not just over the line from what I've heard. Like if there are two defenders on a play and he's going to put the ball down, one of the two defenders can knock it out.

Pretty clear that Best was in the act of scoring a try there IMO. Regardless, the fact that the Raiders had around a dozen sets attacking our line, I thought it was phenomenal to keep a team out the way we did. Amazing and committed performance.[/quote:2wnwssk2]

I agree with you Mick, I thought Best was in the act of scoring a try. Best certainly had the momentum to carry himself over the try line and probably would've scored if there wasn't a strip or "IMO a loose carry by Best".

Anyways, I was really impressed with Clinton yesterday, MASSIVE improvement by him.

It's also great to see Hodges staying in his centre position waiting for out balls from Lockyer instead of running from dummy-half, and with Hunt playing a Slater type role yesterday sniffing around a playmakers for offloads, it was a breath of fresh air to see in attack.

I had always been critical Of Darius, But he is really making me think twice about him, he really has got alot of potential playing in the centres. He reads the opposition playmakers really well and knows when to come out of the line to shut down any attacking raids . His excellent reading in defence is going to be VITAL when we come up against Manly and Storm in the finals.

Our 9,7,6 and 1 are starting to gel really nicely.

Our next 2 games, especially the game against the Dragons is going to a test for the Broncos to see how we are really travelling, the Broncos are going to learn alot from the next 2 games to see where they need to improve on etc. The Warriors always plays well against us, and the Dragons love playing at Suncorp.

Yesterdays game was great to watch! Sunday arvos are my favorite time to watch the footy and we're pretty good at losing on Sundays.

Thought the best thing was that we gelled together nicely - didn't have to rely on someones individual brilliance to keep us in the game. Their kick chases were great and the enthusiasm is very noticeable (although I did notice it in last weeks game as well). Well done boys - good work!

And OMG Locky.... he just continually reminds us why he is the all time God of Rubgy League. He is just brilliant icon_thumbs_u

Mostly happy with Clinton. He is getting back the form he had at Penrith which earned him an Australian jersey.
How many times did Manihera come close to scoring something? He just couldn't get over the line.

No matter what Russo says, I hated the penalty on Kemp for the Best strip as he was going for the try. Canberra seemed to get the rub of the green on most things yeaterday.

Sometimes common sense has to apply, and in the Best case scenario (LOL) the action of Kemp wasn't clearly a strip, and Hodges had well and truly fallen off the tackle, leaving Kemp the only tackler.

On both counts you could not definitively say it was a) deliberately stripped or b) two in the tackle.

So how Archer immediately found a penalty shows his complete incompetence.

You might. I don't.
Plus I have no doubt that Hodges fell off the tackle. And the rule states that it's a 2-man tackle if a player "only just" let go prior to the strip. There was more than enough time between Hodges falling off the tackle for it to not count.

Bad call. End of story. There is no defence for it. At all.

Apart from that call he ref'd well imo. Who cares if the ref makes 1 measly mistake, I've seen far worse reffing!!!

1 mistake? I counted about 10 mistakes. Archer was absolutely dreadful.

The Rock said:
Ahh but Best wasn't in the motion of scoring a try. If you're in the process of scoring the try, it means you'd actually have to be certain that you're going over for one, like falling over the line. Best was a good 2 metres away from the line, therefore the strip rule was applied.

I have no doubt that Kemp stripped the ball.

When Kemp came in to tackle Best, Hodges was no longer in it. And when Kemp raked the ball loose, Best was less than a meter from the line and looked to be rolling into what looked like a try scoring position. There is no way that was an illegal strip.

Coxy said:
1 mistake? I counted about 10 mistakes. Archer was absolutely dreadful.
I didn't really notice, I thought hte video ref had a bad day at the office.

However I still haven't watched the game properly as we had guests over...so maybe I missed some stuff.

Still seen worse reffing.

The strip call was a 50/50 decision. Personally I would have ruled it as play on. The penalty and placing on report of the tackle on Kemp was far more ridiculous especially as it appeared to be a video ref decision.

My 3-2-1 for the match would have gone Boyd, Clinton, Lockyer. While he was good too I reckon Sammy was chosen for MOTM by nein as he was on the bench at the time they gave it so Wally could get in a quick interview 2 minutes out from full-time.

At the clubhouse Boyd and Lockie got the awards.

Apparently the Raiders players were telling him he had no balls.

Boyd has turned into an awesome defensive centre.. He won't be with us next year which is a massive shame.

The Rock said:
Anyone else notice out fiery Wallace was out there? Never seen him like that before, the Raiders players really got under his skin. Still had a good game though.

He sure was, and I reckon that's a great sign for us, together with the fact he, lockyer and Hunt are really starting to combine.

Russo said:
mick! said:

But he was about to plant the ball oin the line; therefore he was in the process of scoring.

I am 1005 convinced that if he didn't "lose/stripped" the ball, he would have gone over the line.

In fact, his body did end up over the line. Therefore, he HAD to at the very least, been in the process of scoring.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • azza.79
  • Footy Fanatic
  • maddo
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • johnny plath
  • mitch222
  • Robboi_321
  • Organix
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.