Broncos vs Titans post game chat

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Well that was pretty good. I think it was an ugly win and we're lucky that the Titans were missing 4 of their first-choice forwards because for a while there in the first half we looked breathless and our ruck D was ordinary.

Folau is proving to be the buy of the season. Parker's general play is consistantly good but his goal kicking remains a concern. Wapau's bomb was a beauty and should have produced a try.

We really missed Hodges out there particularly whilst we were under pressure in the first. I think people underestimate his guaranteed 10m + dummy half runs and his general attack. Clinton was good again and the Marsh/McCullough hooker combo is a winner.

Wallace will be sorely missed when he plays for NSW. Michaels did some good things in the game but overall he is in need of a stint in the reserves.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I thought it was patchy again. First half was woeful. Total lack of intensity in defence, marker defence was nonexistent, slide defence was slow.

Second half was a HUGE improvement. Heaps more energy in attack, lots more intensity in defence. Their only second half try came on the back of two soft high tackle penalties.

Parker, Clinton, Te'o and Setu were excellent in the forwards. Thaiday and Kenny had their moments. Sims...meh, I must be biased, I still think he's a cat. Wapau had his moments too. Marsh was good, and McCullough had some good touches off the bench.

Wallace was great, and wasn't it fantastic to see Lockyer run the ball again late in the game...the setup for Folau's 4th try was brilliant. If only Folau had clung onto that early bomb - that'd be 5 tries! LOLZ.

Michaels was absolutely utterly woeful. the only good thing he did was score his try - which he only had to catch the ball and fall over the line to do - two things he's failed to do numerous times this season already! I offered him $1000 to punch a ref and get a life ban...I doubt he'd take it.

Titans...well, when the Broncos were slack in defence, Friend, Campbell and Prince made them look stupid around the ruck, but they were extremely ineffective in the second half.

PS: Hunt won't look pretty in the morning. LOLZ

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I thought they generally handled Prince pretty well, I noticed that whenever Prince drifted across field the 2 inside guys would get extra urgency and chase him across to mark his potential dump-off selections.

Michaels was not quite that bad mate, he did some pretty good things in defense and some good tidy up work at the back. In all, he is a winger and probably a fringe first-grader, at least for now. I am reluctant to write him off as a prospect.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Best game I've seen Te'o play for the Broncs, but he'll just follow it up with 4 average/below average ones just like he has his entire career.

Kenny was great. I think he made 15 runs for 150 metres, topped the count for us. Clinton really lifted in the 2nd half too. Parker was really damaging in the first half.

Also, I thought we looked better when Winterstein played centre and Michaels played on the wing, especially in defence. Michaels is 1000 times better on the wing.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
I was very disappointed with the Tonga and ODwyer tries. They just breezed over.

Yes, defence in the first half was poor and it was great to see it improve in the second half.

Michaels...jeez. I just want to see him play ONE game where he doesn't get caught out in defence and doesn't butcher attacking opportunities.

Lockys kicking game is still on the blink but that run was good!

Setu knocked the ball back from that Wapau bomb IMO.

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The first half was disappointing, but luckily we made up for it in the second half. Whatever Henjak told them at halftime fired them up.

I wanted to punch Michaels so bad with all those stupid things that he did. He scored a try and made a couple of great one-on-one tackles, but he's still woeful overall.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought Sims did well....

Teo, Kenny, Clinton, Locky, Folau, Wallace and Parker were the standouts.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
I thought the Broncos were in real trouble at halftime ... The Titans' speed and their trick plays with Friend and Prince and Presto were really boring holes in the Broncos defense and their energy levels ... Infact I looked at the Broncos after that first 40 mins and thought to myself, "this outfit is a country mile removed from the side that so efficiently disposed of the Warriors in round three..." But that 2nd half really did wreak of character from the Broncos ... The kind of old-school gritty character that's given the Broncos a winning culture all other clubs can only envy ...

Games against the Titans are never as easy as they appear ... I mean you look at some of the matchups on paper and wonder how the Gold Coast will stay within 20 ... But those buggers just pry and probe and force the Broncos into blunder .... So for the Broncos to charge out in that 2nd half and force their will and class on the match was outstanding ... Especially with some of the blokes playing their 3rd game in 7 days ...

Broncos may have played themselves out of an impending slump with that tough second half display ...

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
Joel Clinton - what a turn around!

I have been so impressed with him this year. He has been running hard and controlling the football. I would love to see him play a few more minutes because I think he adds so much more than Sims and Setu both offensively and defensively.

I was very surprised when NSW omitted him from their 40 man squad - especially given the lack of quality props going around at the moment.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Shhh! Don't tell them about him. I'm quite happy they've forgotten him.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Very impressed with Ben Te'o and Lagi Setu tonight.

Both of them have come in for what i feel is unwarranted criticism, they were outstanding.

Clinton was also excellent.

It's also great to have PJ Marsh back in form, we are a much better team when he's on the boil.

Michaels had a solid game in defence, although the first try that the Titans scored can be attributed to him. Once again though, he delivered a comedy of errors.

Folau is just awesome.

I think having Alex Glenn sitting out on the wing when we have the ball is a bit of a waste. Either stick him in Michaels spot and get rid of Michaels or have him running wide on the cusp of the ruck and hitting gaps.

Kenny performed well once again.

Wallace has probably secured that Origin jersey now.

Great to see Lockyer taking on the line a bit more these last few matches. Reaped the benefits tonight.

Overall though, i thought we were a tad disappointing at times. We gave away some silly penalties and missed a decent amount of tackles.

Plenty of improvement in us yet.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
atm, the broncos are simply winning because we have folau. I would like to get a win this year where the post game chat was talking about how we played a good 80mins for once!

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Folau proved tonight why he should be in the centres for the first 4 plays of every set, you give him the ball and he does damage its that simple.

Patchy again tonight but some decent performances, Lockyer was subdued again but Wallace was buzzing around well to compensate. I like the Marsh/McCullough combination and hope it continues. Michaels made some bad mistakes again and hopefully its finally dawned on Henjak what to do with him. Most of the forwards did a good job tonight but in a few periods we lacked the intensity and the Titans were parked down our end, but we defended pretty well close to the line which is good to see.

All in all, wasn't perfect but it was a good win against a good side.

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Gee you guys are hard on Michaels I thought he had is best game for the year by a country mile, tackling well saving numerous potential breaks / overlaps, the first try was not his fault at all they were outnumbered as the defence didn't slide, it seemed to work well him on the wing in defence and Winters in the centres.

Great to see Izzy at the top of his game tonight, Glenn is not a centre I'm afraid, number of times he was caught out in defence for mine and he should be playing in the forwards where he provides impact when he comes on.

PJ did not go anywhere near as well this week, and it was noticeable the difference that Macca made when he came on. The guy will be a superstar but continue the slow and steady intro Ivan.

In the forwards the quartet of Kenny, Clinto, Sammy and Corey continue to excel for mine. Sims is close to permanently cementing his spot in the firsts, he has got a lot of the stupid stuff out of his game. Teo played well but still fades in and out of a game for mine. With time and fitness this will improve hopefully. Palmer was better than last week but still I'd like to see Maguire back in and Palmer back to QCup, rotate them each 3 or 4 weeks I reckon.

All in all a great win and pleasing to see at our usual fadeout time we actually kicked away, though we faded out earlier but luckily came back strongly.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
We're extremely lucky that the Tits passed so many balls forward. They could have been well in front at half time.

B

bigjim

BRL Player
Mar 25, 2008
I thought it was a really good game, though the eventual score wasn't representative of the closeness of the battle.
In realty, Folau was the difference.
The real shift in momentum seemed to come when Walker had that ball stripped, sorry, I mean when he dropped that ball.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Still think Locky is a bit too quiet but doing enough. You can't fire 26 rounds a year.

One comment though - I'm worried about our defense, in 06 one of our prides was goal line defense, we don't have that anymore. Don't you think we give teams TOO much room as well? we come up about two metres and stand and wait, this happens just about midfield in defense, when we are about 40 out from their line and 40 out fro ours.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
bigjim said:
The real shift in momentum seemed to come when Walker had that ball stripped, sorry, I mean when he dropped that ball.

He dropped it cold mate. He had it jammed against Michaels' arm so that when he stood up it came loose. Nothing to do with Michaels at all: if his arm wasn't there in the first place to hold it in Walker would have dropped it anyway.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Yep, loose carry by Walker. Michaels didn't play the ball.

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • davidp
  • Lurker
  • Financeguy
  • mitch222
  • broncoscope
  • Galah
  • Bronco bob
  • FACTHUNT
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.