Broncos vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls

LIVESTREAM YOUTUBE:

Wynnum trial team

LATE CHANGES: Te Maire Martin in, Tyrone Roberts (sick) out. Deine Mariner in, Ethan Quai Ward (leg) out. Gamble onto bench.

SEAGULLS SQUAD

Aaron Rockley
Bailey Hartwig
Ben Farr
Braden Whittaker
Brandon Jackonia
Caleb Daunt
Clayton Mack
Daine Spencer
Dredin Sorenson
EJ Lui
Ethan Malt
Felix Faatilli
Harrison Graham
Jack Bowyer
Jacob Sturt
James Robinson
Jayden Connors
Kalolo Saitaua
Kelepi Faukafa
Kyle Coghill
Lachlan Lee
Luke Bateman
Mathew Lyons
Matiu Love-Henry
Max Elliott
Max Plath
Nofoasa Malutoa
Ryan O’Keefe
Sam Scarlett
Sione Hopoate
Tom Farr
Tristan Hope
Sebastian Winters-Chang

11.15am: Harvey Norman Under 19 girls – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
12.50pm: Cyril Connell Challenge – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
2.15pm: Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
4pm: NRL trial match – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Brisbane Broncos

STREAMING ON SEAGULLS TV (not on Fox/Kayo):

ALSO STREAMING ON FACEBOOK:

These preseason games will be broadcast on Fox/Kayo. In QLD time:

Feb 12, 7.10pm: NRL All Stars (also on Channel 9)
Feb 19, 7pm: Broncos v Titans
Feb 26, 8pm: Broncos v Cowboys

Other matches in AEDT. Subtract an hour for QLD:

6pm — Friday February 18: Roosters vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 18: Tigers vs Sea Eagles
4pm — Saturday February 19: Storm vs Warriors
6pm — Saturday February 19: Rabbitohs vs Cowboys
4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Attachments

• Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,654
Who did most of the kicking today? Was there an improvement in our last tackle kicks? I know it’ll be another level once Reynolds is in charge.
TMM to start, then Gamble.

I wouldn’t say better but Gamble showed off his decent short kicking game - which to me is his biggest asset

Watched bits here and there. We played OK, but the game generally seemed quite slow compared to this all stars game. I guess it's only a trial game, but hopefully some more intensity is in there. But loved watching us win lol

the all stars game was played with NRL level players.

our trial was mainly the fringe vs a QCup side.

After watching kelly in the all stars game in torn between our 5/8 options. Kelly was good against quality opposition and that 40/20 nearly turned it.
Walters and mam were dynamic and gamble just looked like he was ready to be happily hated by every opposition player in the NRL (which is fine by me if they are looking at him and not reynolds)
Im still leaning to gamble 6 and walters 14 but id be hard pressed to fault any others making it instead (and turpin needs to play well because walters is a lot better than your average fill in dummy half).

After watching kelly in the all stars game in torn between our 5/8 options. Kelly was good against quality opposition and that 40/20 nearly turned it.
Walters and mam were dynamic and gamble just looked like he was ready to be happily hated by every opposition player in the NRL (which is fine by me if they are looking at him and not reynolds)
Im still leaning to gamble 6 and walters 14 but id be hard pressed to fault any others making it instead (and turpin needs to play well because walters is a lot better than your average fill in dummy half).
I was firmly in the camp of making Mam wait until next season but he’s picked up where he left off. If he plays like he did today against the NRL teams in the next 2 trials I’d be very tempted to back him. He has Reynolds to simplify his role in attack and will have Capewell to help him in defence. Put Lee at left centre if you really want to protect him. Then you have Walters on the bench who can come on if he’s struggling.

His defence is good for an X factor 6 - usually that’s the concern.

Could even start the season with Gamble to build momentum and let Mam have his crack when Gamble inevitably misses games through suspension or injury.

I think Mariner's first try really showed Mam's ability.

It wasn't anything flashy or special, just pure poise in summing up the situation, drawing in 3-4 players and putting Mariner over. Was after someone rushed outta the line to clean him up - shrugged him off, kept his cool and did the rest. Good signs from an 18yo.

I think Mariner's first try really showed Mam's ability.

It wasn't anything flashy or special, just pure poise in summing up the situation, drawing in 3-4 players and putting Mariner over. Was after someone rushed outta the line to clean him up - shrugged him off, kept his cool and did the rest. Good signs from an 18yo.

That was fantastic but for me it was the chase of the Wynnum player on the intercept. He was the quickest to react and did not give up, forcing the player into the corner. Those 1%ers are exciting.

That was fantastic but for me it was the chase of the Wynnum player on the intercept. He was the quickest to react and did not give up, forcing the player into the corner. Those 1%ers are exciting.
Definitely.

I was happy with Jensen's performance. He flew very much under the radar but got through a lot of work and has a very quick play the ball. A couple of the bronco's points were on the back of his play the balls (isaako's and manu's).

He is very much a team forward, he may not make huge metres or be noticeable but the quick play the ball makes it easier for the next runner or allows the team to play off the back of it.

I was firmly in the camp of making Mam wait until next season but he’s picked up where he left off. If he plays like he did today against the NRL teams in the next 2 trials I’d be very tempted to back him. He has Reynolds to simplify his role in attack and will have Capewell to help him in defence. Put Lee at left centre if you really want to protect him. Then you have Walters on the bench who can come on if he’s struggling.

His defence is good for an X factor 6 - usually that’s the concern.

Could even start the season with Gamble to build momentum and let Mam have his crack when Gamble inevitably misses games through suspension or injury.

Definite improvement from last years finals in defence and attack. In attack he has built on his quick reaction time to situations by still making those quick decisions- two passes to Mairner were great hands but showed he has slowed his thinking. He showed the same slow thinking he showed against the Tigers last year.

He looked nervous before the game; Kevvie told him it was the same guys he was playing against last year in Colts and ISC and he was right to go.

In defence I thought he went hard, last year he was unsure and hung back and it led to misses last night he just went in- a half is always going to miss four tackles but if he was unsure last night he just went anyway.

The thing I like about Mam is he steps up- 12 months ago he's playing MM, then Colts and ISC on short notice and last night playing "NRL." I know it wasn't an NRL side but he was nervous and he overcame that and went again.

In 12 months he's gone from the fun MM player to watch to potentially playing NRL soon.

Skip Walters looked sharp at dummy half. Picking his moments to run were also impressive. Considering he's not long back from a major knee injury I think he went better than what was expected. Flegs was able to make meters at will and perhaps thought he could offload like TPJ - not quite got that down pat yet. It seems even our fringe players have got the message about the importance of good defence as the whole team looked switched on in this regard.

Piakura was the big surprise for me. I keep hearing these massive raps on him but in the three games I've watched him he's been almost anonymous. He was quite underwhelming yesterday. I suppose it means I have something to look forward to in the future, but I'd love to see what others see in him.

Kelly went really well in the All stars game and looks a metre sharper than last year. His defence looks spot on too. I was more than happy with Cobbo too. His cover defence was outstanding last night and he managed to make a few half breaks bringing it out form his own end. Pumped to think how good he will be with another season or two under his belt. Ryan James went well too and TC Robati had one deadly serious break but then sort of went missing for the rest of the night.

Anyone able to confirm Mam's injury was just cramp?

Piakura is a hard one to judge without knowing anything else other than the 2-3 times we've seen him but he's had all sorts of good things said about him, Trent Barrett obviously really liked something about him and sounded quite disappointed to miss out when he signed on with us again, might be one of those guys who takes a while to get to the bottom of but his quality is there at training?

That's all we can go off at this stage.

Skip Walters looked sharp at dummy half. Picking his moments to run were also impressive. Considering he's not long back from a major knee injury I think he went better than what was expected. Flegs was able to make meters at will and perhaps thought he could offload like TPJ - not quite got that down pat yet. It seems even our fringe players have got the message about the importance of good defence as the whole team looked switched on in this regard.

Piakura was the big surprise for me. I keep hearing these massive raps on him but in the three games I've watched him he's been almost anonymous. He was quite underwhelming yesterday. I suppose it means I have something to look forward to in the future, but I'd love to see what others see in him.

Kelly went really well in the All stars game and looks a metre sharper than last year. His defence looks spot on too. I was more than happy with Cobbo too. His cover defence was outstanding last night and he managed to make a few half breaks bringing it out form his own end. Pumped to think how good he will be with another season or two under his belt. Ryan James went well too and TC Robati had one deadly serious break but then sort of went missing for the rest of the night.

Anyone able to confirm Mam's injury was just cramp?

Yep cramps only.

Piakura is a hard one to judge without knowing anything else other than the 2-3 times we've seen him but he's had all sorts of good things said about him, Trent Barrett obviously really liked something about him and sounded quite disappointed to miss out when he signed on with us again, might be one of those guys who takes a while to get to the bottom of but his quality is there at training?

That's all we can go off at this stage.
Piakura has about a 12 minute long highlights reel where he looks incredible. You’re right though, he’s yet to be able to do any of those things against adults. He does hit well though but I do worry about the safety of his head with the way his technique is.

Would like to see Walters start at 6 next trial. He showed some good glimpses there. If he doesn’t end up there he looks a very good utility. Gamble underwhelmed me today, don’t think he has enough creativity for 6. As a bench middle I think he has a place in the team though

Definite improvement from last years finals in defence and attack. In attack he has built on his quick reaction time to situations by still making those quick decisions- two passes to Mairner were great hands but showed he has slowed his thinking. He showed the same slow thinking he showed against the Tigers last year.

He looked nervous before the game; Kevvie told him it was the same guys he was playing against last year in Colts and ISC and he was right to go.

In defence I thought he went hard, last year he was unsure and hung back and it led to misses last night he just went in- a half is always going to miss four tackles but if he was unsure last night he just went anyway.

The thing I like about Mam is he steps up- 12 months ago he's playing MM, then Colts and ISC on short notice and last night playing "NRL." I know it wasn't an NRL side but he was nervous and he overcame that and went again.

In 12 months he's gone from the fun MM player to watch to potentially playing NRL soon.
It’s still wise to not get carried away and let him slowly transition but he is looking closer to forcing a selection than I was expecting. I thought he at best might get a few minutes of exposure late in the season but if he has 2 more trials like yesterday he has really made himself a serious candidate.

Active Now

• Splinter
  • Pablo
  • barker
  • cento
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Astro
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.