Broncos vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls

LIVESTREAM YOUTUBE:

Wynnum trial team

LATE CHANGES: Te Maire Martin in, Tyrone Roberts (sick) out. Deine Mariner in, Ethan Quai Ward (leg) out. Gamble onto bench.

SEAGULLS SQUAD

Aaron Rockley
Bailey Hartwig
Ben Farr
Braden Whittaker
Brandon Jackonia
Caleb Daunt
Clayton Mack
Daine Spencer
Dredin Sorenson
EJ Lui
Ethan Malt
Felix Faatilli
Harrison Graham
Jack Bowyer
Jacob Sturt
James Robinson
Jayden Connors
Kalolo Saitaua
Kelepi Faukafa
Kyle Coghill
Lachlan Lee
Luke Bateman
Mathew Lyons
Matiu Love-Henry
Max Elliott
Max Plath
Nofoasa Malutoa
Ryan O’Keefe
Sam Scarlett
Sione Hopoate
Tom Farr
Tristan Hope
Sebastian Winters-Chang

11.15am: Harvey Norman Under 19 girls – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
12.50pm: Cyril Connell Challenge – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
2.15pm: Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
4pm: NRL trial match – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Brisbane Broncos

STREAMING ON SEAGULLS TV (not on Fox/Kayo):

ALSO STREAMING ON FACEBOOK:

These preseason games will be broadcast on Fox/Kayo. In QLD time:

Feb 12, 7.10pm: NRL All Stars (also on Channel 9)
Feb 19, 7pm: Broncos v Titans
Feb 26, 8pm: Broncos v Cowboys

Other matches in AEDT. Subtract an hour for QLD:

6pm — Friday February 18: Roosters vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 18: Tigers vs Sea Eagles
4pm — Saturday February 19: Storm vs Warriors
6pm — Saturday February 19: Rabbitohs vs Cowboys
4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Attachments

• Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,654
Would like to see Walters start at 6 next trial. He showed some good glimpses there. If he doesn’t end up there he looks a very good utility. Gamble underwhelmed me today, don’t think he has enough creativity for 6. As a bench middle I think he has a place in the team though
Gamble underwhelmed you????

Doesn't have enough creativity??????

How many try assists did he receive last night?

How about last year when he came into a bottom 4 side and started putting players in gaps and we finally had a player who knew how to inject some variation into a 5th tacke option that wasn't a "run and see what happe... Oh we got tackled with the ball again oops"

I'm just not understanding the Gamble didn't play good enough in the trial talk.

Broncos lacked so much direction until both he and Walters came on.

Walters, (at 9 mind you) got everyone into a structure and rythm and gamble kept the sets clean. His kicking game was exactly what we needed last year and yesterday.

I honestly think that those talking down gamble's game, are TRYING to look for ways of making him down because they want the flashy 6 not the dependable 6.

If Tyson isn't given a jersey R1 he deserves a contract at Redcliffe. Not cause he should kick stones, but he deserved a look in after last night and his previous runs on the board for the club

2021: Broncos 22 v Wynnum 22. Patchy.
2022: Broncos 52 v Wynnum 4. Clinical.

Got fewer individual standout performances than I was expecting, but a cobbled together group of contenders, none of whom will look out of place in the NRL. The fitness divide was glaring, and their defence as a team was the major difference.

Apart from having another team's worth of reserves who'll admirably slot in when needed, and some who'll inevitably supplant the incumbents, what we saw yesterday was a coaching transformation. Regardless of how we progress through the season, we can already see the Broncos as a club is back.

Billy reminds me a bit of his old man and uncles at a similar age. No frills, under the radar, mechanical rather than flashy, but a level head making the right decisions. He played himself onto the bench in my opinion. Paix did nothing particularly wrong, but Walters won that one convincingly.

Ezra will debut. It's just a matter of when. Deine too, but not before Brenko and Jordan, both of whom must be in contention round one. I expect we'll see Ben Te Kura debut a few weeks before the finals, but unlikely before.

Undecided on Tyson. As the team matures this season we'll be looking to lift our class rather than fall back on heart. I'm loathe to leave him out of the 17, but based on last night's games, I'm leaning more towards Albert with Ezra on standby and Billy as utility. It's a shame Selwyn got stuck out on the wing last night, and starved of ball. Kevvie will need to rotate him, Tesi and Herbie in the trials if he's still undecided, but whatever position, he's a lock, round one. Jordan in, Corey out, on the other wing.

Gamble underwhelmed you????

Doesn't have enough creativity??????

How many try assists did he receive last night?

How about last year when he came into a bottom 4 side and started putting players in gaps and we finally had a player who knew how to inject some variation into a 5th tacke option that wasn't a "run and see what happe... Oh we got tackled with the ball again oops"
I'm just not understanding the Gamble didn't play good enough in the trial talk.

Walters, (at 9 mind you) got everyone into a structure and rythm and gamble kept the sets clean. His kicking game was exactly what we needed last year and yesterday.

I honestly think that those talking down gamble's game, are TRYING to look for ways of making him down because they want the flashy 6 not the dependable 6.

If Tyson isn't given a jersey R1 he deserves a contract at Redcliffe. Not cause he should kick stones, but he deserved a look in after last night and his previous runs on the board for the club
Tyson played fine last night. No one will complain if he's selected at 6 round one. But bear in mind, he came into a side that had a massive upper hand and some real burgeoning class in attack. Whatever he did with the boot or hands there were troops there on it. He was fine, yes, but he was there as the incumbent Broncos number 6 who should've been a cut above all these noobs.

We were looking for something different than the reliable battler. We were looking for the next big star. Like I said earlier, we were looking for class rather than heart. That's why everyone is so focussed on Ezra. He appears to have both.

2021: Broncos 22 v Wynnum 22. Patchy.
2022: Broncos 52 v Wynnum 4. Clinical.

Got fewer individual standout performances than I was expecting, but a cobbled together group of contenders, none of whom will look out of place in the NRL. The fitness divide was glaring, and their defence as a team was the major difference.

Apart from having another team's worth of reserves who'll admirably slot in when needed, and some who'll inevitably supplant the incumbents, what we saw yesterday was a coaching transformation. Regardless of how we progress through the season, we can already see the Broncos as a club is back.

Billy reminds me a bit of his old man and uncles at a similar age. No frills, under the radar, mechanical rather than flashy, but a level head making the right decisions. He played himself onto the bench in my opinion. Paix did nothing particularly wrong, but Walters won that one convincingly.

Ezra will debut. It's just a matter of when. Deine too, but not before Brenko and Jordan, both of whom must be in contention round one. I expect we'll see Ben Te Kura debut a few weeks before the finals, but unlikely before.

Undecided on Tyson. As the team matures this season we'll be looking to lift our class rather than fall back on heart. I'm loathe to leave him out of the 17, but based on last night's games, I'm leaning more towards Albert with Ezra on standby and Billy as utility. It's a shame Selwyn got stuck out on the wing last night, and starved of ball. Kevvie will need to rotate him, Tesi and Herbie in the trials if he's still undecided, but whatever position, he's a lock, round one. Jordan in, Corey out on the other wing.

I like your post but in terms of Cobbo, last night he played everywhere in the backline. He was on both wings, both centres and fullback at various parts of the game and did not look out of place anywhere, freakish.

I like you post but in terms of Cobbo, last night he played everywhere in the backline. He was on both wings, both centres and fullback at various parts of the game and did not look out of place anywhere, freakish.
That makes sense. I couldn't figure out where he was playing until some point where I could see he was definitely on the wing. I missed most of the first half. Kid has matured massively over the break. Still didn't get enough ball. Nicho Hynes is looking more and more like the one who got away. Dammit.

Albert is getting mixed reviews today. Other than the 40/20 how do you think he went?

Anyone know if there is a highlights package of the game anywhere?

It’s still wise to not get carried away and let him slowly transition but he is looking closer to forcing a selection than I was expecting. I thought he at best might get a few minutes of exposure late in the season but if he has 2 more trials like yesterday he has really made himself a serious candidate.

I don't ever get excited.

I just look for improvement and I think there is definitely that there each game. If he was still the same fun half he was 12 months ago I'd be more worried but he's showing good awareness.

Someone asked last year what's his awareness like and I said for him it's great for the other 25 players on the field I am not too sure. But last night he showed some good awareness for his outside men and the opposition.

That makes sense. I couldn't figure out where he was playing until some point where I could see he was definitely on the wing. I missed most of the first half. Kid has matured massively over the break. Still didn't get enough ball. Nicho Hynes is looking more and more like the one who got away. Dammit.

Albert is getting mixed reviews today. Other than the 40/20 how do you think he went?
Nicho was definitely levels above as a 7 than what I expected, his short kicking game was excellent. The lack of a 7 or kicking game was a worry that I had for the sharks, but Hynes looks equipped to take on that role for them.

I'm not sure you can put too much into Albert's performance though. He mostly played as a roving lock with some minutes put into dummy half as well. By the end it appeared that Laurie finally pulled Trindall and put Albert in the 6, but I think that came after he kicked the 40/20?

There was very little attack from the indigenous team and Albert looked like he was just there to shuffle it along. I can barely recall the fullback chiming into the backline, whether it was Kennedy, Hammer or Cobbo... the Maoris defended well on those edges and the rain wouldn't have helped to have an expansive game, but their attack was very subdued. They got Fifita into space early on, but then couldn't find any space from then on.

What was noticeable though was Albert's defence. He was absolutely ripping in when playing in the middle. He was all heart wherever he was playing and that drop after the 40/20 really hurt him, because he put a huge shot on Herbert straight of the ensuing scrum.

He also pulled off a great cut out ball on the last play of the game to get the ball actually moving along the backline.

I think if Laurie had pulled Trindall earlier and moved Albert into the 6 earlier the halves pairing of Nicho and Albert could've been a bit more fluent in attack, because Trindall wasn't doing much.

Tyson played fine last night. No one will complain if he's selected at 6 round one. But bear in mind, he came into a side that had a massive upper hand and some real burgeoning class in attack. Whatever he did with the boot or hands there were troops there on it. He was fine, yes, but he was there as the incumbent Broncos number 6 who should've been a cut above all these noobs.

We were looking for something different than the reliable battler. We were looking for the next big star. Like I said earlier, we were looking for class rather than heart. That's why everyone is so focussed on Ezra. He appears to have both.
"We were looking for something different than reliable battler"

Who is we? And I never saw that memo

I don't ever get excited.

I just look for improvement and I think there is definitely that there each game. If he was still the same fun half he was 12 months ago I'd be more worried but he's showing good awareness.

Someone asked last year what's his awareness like and I said for him it's great for the other 25 players on the field I am not too sure. But last night he showed some good awareness for his outside men and the opposition.
Yep, I was so happy when I saw him draw players and pass to mariner (who also did well positioning himself after the play broke down), and the early passes he gave his outside men rather than trying to break the line himself all the time. He does seem to be trying to improve all facets of his game.

Nicho was definitely levels above as a 7 than what I expected, his short kicking game was excellent. The lack of a 7 or kicking game was a worry that I had for the sharks, but Hynes looks equipped to take on that role for them.

I'm not sure you can put too much into Albert's performance though. He mostly played as a roving lock with some minutes put into dummy half as well. By the end it appeared that Laurie finally pulled Trindall and put Albert in the 6, but I think that came after he kicked the 40/20?

There was very little attack from the indigenous team and Albert looked like he was just there to shuffle it along. I can barely recall the fullback chiming into the backline, whether it was Kennedy, Hammer or Cobbo... the Maoris defended well on those edges and the rain wouldn't have helped to have an expansive game, but their attack was very subdued. They got Fifita into space early on, but then couldn't find any space from then on.

What was noticeable though was Albert's defence. He was absolutely ripping in when playing in the middle. He was all heart wherever he was playing and that drop after the 40/20 really hurt him, because he put a huge shot on Herbert straight of the ensuing scrum.

He also pulled off a great cut out ball on the last play of the game to get the ball actually moving along the backline.

I think if Laurie had pulled Trindall earlier and moved Albert into the 6 earlier the halves pairing of Nicho and Albert could've been a bit more fluent in attack, because Trindall wasn't doing much.
I actually thought Hynes stifled their attack at times, particularly in the dying stages of the game when they needed him to stand up most.

When the ball needed to move outside him, he kept cutting back in and trying to do it all himself, inevitably getting caught with the ball, or the passage of play simply broke down.

And sure, he’s still learning how to be an NRL half, but those passages of play would have me slightly concerned if I was the Sharks. After all, he is mid 20’s and they’ve pinned all their hopes on him, on the back of one good season in a strong Storm system. He won’t be afforded much time to prove he is everything they hoped he would be.

I 100% agree where your coming from but do we require Gamble for his direction. No, or better put not as much. This isn’t a case of which half best controls a game. I don’t agree with Shane that the lacks creativity he just lacks the dangerous spark other 6’s who have been successful alongside Reynolds have had. Albert and Mam possess that and personally at this stage that is the way I’m leaning. Gamble in his own right can earn that jersey and I will not complain for a second. Whilst Billy played well in the halves I actually would like him to play 14 and really push for the 9 cause I thought he was amazing there. 3 horse race for me all deserve it in there own right. I get where your coming from a lot of people are discrediting him to push there case but his kicking and set up play was good last night bar the falcon chip.

How was the half’s defence I didn’t get to watch the game I think kevi will go with the beat defensive half this year

I realy liked what i saw of psriera. For me he went from a "possible" to a "likely" for round 1.
He did everything right and looked dangerous every time.
I know it was just an early trial but i reckon he deserves a good shot at least in 3rd trial if not round 1.
I didnt see much of brenko lee and he is in the mix but if cobbo has one wing and periera/farnsworth the other, there are going to be 2 or 3 very good backs missing out on round 1.
I'd go
1. Niu
2. Cobbo
3 Staggs
4 Farnsworth
5 Periera
But it could as easily be
1. Niu
2 Cobbo
3 Staggs
4 Lee
5 Farnsworth

Isaako looked really dangerous and probably deseves another shot in the trials as possible in the backs.
Oates played centres which is strange but i guess that gives an indication of maybe having him as a utility back, on the bench at some stage. He definitely needs to show more than he has though because his indifferent form of last year probably means he misses out (atleast until he tears it up i q cup or injury forces something).

I actually thought Hynes stifled their attack at times, particularly in the dying stages of the game when they needed him to stand up most.

When the ball needed to move outside him, he kept cutting back in and trying to do it all himself, inevitably getting caught with the ball, or the passage of play simply broke down.

And sure, he’s still learning how to be an NRL half, but those passages of play would have me slightly concerned if I was the Sharks. After all, he is mid 20’s and they’ve pinned all their hopes on him, on the back of one good season in a strong Storm system. He won’t be afforded much time to prove he is everything they hoped he would be.
The Maori defence was rushing up on the edges, but whatever they were doing they were not able to get the fullback involved.

I would probably say I was impressed with the halfback play of Nicho in terms of kicking and being able to get repeat sets... the repeats he was getting were not easy kicks either. Was also a shoe length away from an easy 40/20.

I think Trindall wasn't giving him a lot as a halves partner and then combine that with having part-time hookers and constant cycling of players around him... then it's probably going to look pretty disjointed.

But we already know from the storm what Hynes can do when there is some form of structure around him and last night I think it showed that he has a kicking game... so I would be reasonably happy if I were a sharks fan, because that was a big unknown heading into their season... I'd also not want to see Trindall as his halves partner heading into the season.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Wild Horse
  • Harry Sack
  • NYCDB
  • Kenny powers
  • Waynesaurus
  • Santa
  • Xarr
  • Aldo
  • Broncorob
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Skyblues87
  • Muros
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  • Wolfie
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.