Broncos vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls

LIVESTREAM YOUTUBE:

Wynnum trial team

LATE CHANGES: Te Maire Martin in, Tyrone Roberts (sick) out. Deine Mariner in, Ethan Quai Ward (leg) out. Gamble onto bench.

SEAGULLS SQUAD

Aaron Rockley
Bailey Hartwig
Ben Farr
Braden Whittaker
Brandon Jackonia
Caleb Daunt
Clayton Mack
Daine Spencer
Dredin Sorenson
EJ Lui
Ethan Malt
Felix Faatilli
Harrison Graham
Jack Bowyer
Jacob Sturt
James Robinson
Jayden Connors
Kalolo Saitaua
Kelepi Faukafa
Kyle Coghill
Lachlan Lee
Luke Bateman
Mathew Lyons
Matiu Love-Henry
Max Elliott
Max Plath
Nofoasa Malutoa
Ryan O’Keefe
Sam Scarlett
Sione Hopoate
Tom Farr
Tristan Hope
Sebastian Winters-Chang

11.15am: Harvey Norman Under 19 girls – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
12.50pm: Cyril Connell Challenge – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
2.15pm: Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
4pm: NRL trial match – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Brisbane Broncos

STREAMING ON SEAGULLS TV (not on Fox/Kayo):

ALSO STREAMING ON FACEBOOK:

These preseason games will be broadcast on Fox/Kayo. In QLD time:

Feb 12, 7.10pm: NRL All Stars (also on Channel 9)
Feb 19, 7pm: Broncos v Titans
Feb 26, 8pm: Broncos v Cowboys

Other matches in AEDT. Subtract an hour for QLD:

6pm — Friday February 18: Roosters vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 18: Tigers vs Sea Eagles
4pm — Saturday February 19: Storm vs Warriors
6pm — Saturday February 19: Rabbitohs vs Cowboys
4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Attachments

• Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,654
Walters will be an amazing signing (especially assuming he'll be close to minimum wage) if he can spell Turpin for 30-35 minutes and do it well. Turpin is a cheaper version of McCullough but Melbourne have shown today's game is won by having high energy dummy halves. If they can split game time and do it well, it'll go a long way to us being a top 8 team again.

He was the only back who played all year and we had no one that could take his spot.
Niu was meant to play centre in 2021, trained there all off season for it and yet, didn’t dislodge Farnworth.

Indeed, Niu got his 2021 chance in first grade the week Herbie was supposed to start at fullback, but there was an injury during warmup and Walters had no faith Niu could play in the centres, so put him at 1 instead.

Not really a glowing endorsement of Niu.

EDIT: ignore me, I’m way wrong 😑🤦‍♂️

Thinking about the game today, i think we can safely say pretty much everyone had a good game, but i dont think anyone was really outstanding. We need some of these blokes to really step up in the next 2 games to give Kevvie some big headaches if we want to lift our standards from last year. The signs are very promising though, i just dont think i'm going to get too carried away with the win last night.

The bloke who won Broncos Back of Year in 2021 isn’t a certainty, but the bloke who has serious question marks over his ability to play fullback is?
I think the doubts over Tesi's ability to play fullback equally apply to Herbie playing centre. I'm one of Herbie's harshest critics but I'd still pick him on the wing. You seem to have forgotten how much praise Tesi got when he took over from Jamayne, and how much everyone wanted to re-sign him.

I think the doubts over Tesi's ability to play fullback equally apply to Herbie playing centre. I'm one of Herbie's harshest critics but I'd still pick him on the wing. You seem to have forgotten how much praise Tesi got when he took over from Jamayne, and how much everyone wanted to re-sign him.
I've never really rated Tesi, or Isaako at fullback, they both suck there. Happy to be proven wrong but it's going to be a long road to success if Tesi is our long term fullback. Next please.

I'd still like to see Herbie there. I think he has the fitness and support play to be a Dylan Edwards type player. Not incredible but a solid 7-8/10 every week which is the foundation of success, not Tesi types who are as likely to have a 1/10 game as an 8/10 game. He still looks shaky under every highball.

I actually thought Hynes stifled their attack at times, particularly in the dying stages of the game when they needed him to stand up most.

When the ball needed to move outside him, he kept cutting back in and trying to do it all himself, inevitably getting caught with the ball, or the passage of play simply broke down.

And sure, he’s still learning how to be an NRL half, but those passages of play would have me slightly concerned if I was the Sharks. After all, he is mid 20’s and they’ve pinned all their hopes on him, on the back of one good season in a strong Storm system. He won’t be afforded much time to prove he is everything they hoped he would be.
completely agree, apart from being busy and some good kicks i don't think he looked to threatening at all.

TBF, I don’t think praise for taking over from Isaako is much to boast about.

As annoying as it was when he consistently sailed kickoffs into the grandstand, after he let in ‘that try’ against St George, I’d have sooner played with no fullback.

The way I see all this Gamble discourse is this:

People saying Gamble only played a reserve grade team but he produced. People saying he had it easy cause the platform was already laid is well off... The Broncos looked clueless til Walters actually came on.

Kelly didn't really get to show his skills as a 5/8 last night, mam had moments but again, same can be said about him, he played a reserve grade team. Did we all hear what was said about him before the trial? He was nervous and played to the occasion. So he's going to have to find a way to mentally stay tuned in week in week out at NRL level.

Gamble however has already shown he can do that and shown he can lift a struggling team off their ass
I’m not sure I saw anyone say “Gamble only played a reserve grade team” or that “there was already a platform laid”. I definitely didn’t.

I think he played well but played to his ceiling which is fine. He probably is the front runner. Mam looked like a far better option than any of them but the question is more when than if.

I absolutely think Gamble is ahead of Walters because of Walters utility value. He was far better at 9 but did well at 6.

I don’t think any option is the wrong one tbh. Pros and cons for all - even TMM.
Thinking about the game today, i think we can safely say pretty much everyone had a good game, but i dont think anyone was really outstanding. We need some of these blokes to really step up in the next 2 games to give Kevvie some big headaches if we want to lift our standards from last year. The signs are very promising though, i just dont think i'm going to get too carried away with the win last night.
I felt the same. No one stood out in the way Reece did last trial. But that's partly because the entire team played to a standard high enough to put 50 on them. We looked like an absolute rabble in the trials over the last few years.

While I can't really name a standout, I think the loser was Cory Paix. He played a perfectly decent game, even scoring a try. But he needed to really shine in this game. And he didn't. I don't have him pressuring Jake at this point and I would be naming Billy on the bench next week.

completely agree, apart from being busy and some good kicks i don't think he looked to threatening at all.
I think the thing about Nicho is you notice him. He has the look. So whatever he does you see it. Even moreso playing 5/8th with the camera on him half the game. When they zoom in and he's doing his little turn on the catwalk you expect something more exciting to happen. But last night it didn't.

I felt the same. No one stood out in the way Reece did last trial. But that's partly because the entire team played to a standard high enough to put 50 on them. We looked like an absolute rabble in the trials over the last few years.

While I can't really name a standout, I think the loser was Cory Paix. He played a perfectly decent game, even scoring a try. But he needed to really shine in this game. And he didn't. I don't have him pressuring Jake at this point and I would be naming Billy on the bench next week.

I am a huge Paix fan but I reluctantly agree. Paix started well but faded when he returned whereas Walters was outstanding.

I think there were a couple of standouts (albeit not like Walsh last year) in Flegs (he played very limited minutes and was just smashing the ball up the middle with ease aside from the offload error), Mam, Mariner, Walters and Pereira. They all were pretty outstanding.

I definitely must have forgotten. Tesi was stinking it up in Cup and only an injury saw him take the fb spot over Herbie (also not a great option for fb). I remember people being happy that he did better than expected and that it means we shouldn’t ever see Isaako at 1 again. I remember everyone begging to sign every possible fullback option to replace Tesi in 2022. Don’t remember calls to re-sign him.

I definitely must have forgotten. Tesi was stinking it up in Cup and only an injury saw him take the fb spot over Herbie (also not a great option for fb). I remember people being happy that he did better than expected and that it means we shouldn’t ever see Isaako at 1 again. I remember everyone begging to sign every possible fullback option to replace Tesi in 2022. Don’t remember calls to re-sign him.

And even calls to re-sign him were based on minimum wage I think. I know I have personally been saying that Niu looks like a 50% player, great in attack, non-existent in defense and I wasn't alone saying that. I don't think anyone has definitively said they see him as the long term fullback.

Well it's certainly an improvement on last year's result.

Is it a case of bouncing back to a club that can regularly make the 8 but get knocked out first week of finals?

The difference in quality between this game and the All Stars was huge.

I think the thing about Nicho is you notice him. He has the look. So whatever he does you see it. Even moreso playing 5/8th with the camera on him half the game. When they zoom in and he's doing his little turn on the catwalk you expect something more exciting to happen. But last night it didn't.
🤣 that was weird

Honestly mate i couldnt tell you. As i said before, they have lost some key, big players and i'm not really too sure who they have bought in but they look a shadow of the side i saw last year. Probably seeing if @1910 , @Big Pete or somebody like that could tell us.
In fairness two of their best signings were playing for the Broncos in Hosking and Amey. They'll also receive the benefit of the Broncos affiliation with Te Maire Martin, Delouise Hoeter, David Mead etc. filling out their roster. Martin especially will make a huge difference to their team if he stays fit.

They didn't really give themselves much a chance with their second half team primarily being made up of BRL and Colts players.

And even calls to re-sign him were based on minimum wage I think. I know I have personally been saying that Niu looks like a 50% player, great in attack, non-existent in defense and I wasn't alone saying that. I don't think anyone has definitively said they see him as the long term fullback.
I'd written him off after seeing him in the trials and then putting in what looked to me like a half-arsed effort at the Magpies but he played pretty well when he took Jamayne's place, and he got hyped to buggery by commentators.

Lest we forget.

BHQ Best 14

In fairness two of their best signings were playing for the Broncos in Hosking and Amey. They'll also receive the benefit of the Broncos affiliation with Te Maire Martin, Delouise Hoeter, David Mead etc. filling out their roster. Martin especially will make a huge difference to their team if he stays fit.

They didn't really give themselves much a chance with their second half team primarily being made up of BRL and Colts players.

Yeah, i said that earlier. Their losses were always going to hurt them when you look at who they lost.

I am a huge Paix fan but I reluctantly agree. Paix started well but faded when he returned whereas Walters was outstanding.

I think there were a couple of standouts (albeit not like Walsh last year) in Flegs (he played very limited minutes and was just smashing the ball up the middle with ease aside from the offload error), Mam, Mariner, Walters and Pereira. They all were pretty outstanding.

Tbf to Paix, i think it he came on at the time Walters did he would have looked more impactful. IIRC, he started both halves against fresher players.

Active Now

• The True King
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • KnToad
  • winslow_wong
  • davidp
  • thenry
  • YeahNahMate
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • mitch222
  • GCBRONCO
  • Aldo
  • Stix
  • Culhwch
  • Scdeac
  • bronx89
  • Foordy
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.