Broncos vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls

LIVESTREAM YOUTUBE:

Wynnum trial team

LATE CHANGES: Te Maire Martin in, Tyrone Roberts (sick) out. Deine Mariner in, Ethan Quai Ward (leg) out. Gamble onto bench.

SEAGULLS SQUAD

Aaron Rockley
Bailey Hartwig
Ben Farr
Braden Whittaker
Brandon Jackonia
Caleb Daunt
Clayton Mack
Daine Spencer
Dredin Sorenson
EJ Lui
Ethan Malt
Felix Faatilli
Harrison Graham
Jack Bowyer
Jacob Sturt
James Robinson
Jayden Connors
Kalolo Saitaua
Kelepi Faukafa
Kyle Coghill
Lachlan Lee
Luke Bateman
Mathew Lyons
Matiu Love-Henry
Max Elliott
Max Plath
Nofoasa Malutoa
Ryan O’Keefe
Sam Scarlett
Sione Hopoate
Tom Farr
Tristan Hope
Sebastian Winters-Chang

11.15am: Harvey Norman Under 19 girls – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
12.50pm: Cyril Connell Challenge – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
2.15pm: Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Norths Devils
4pm: NRL trial match – Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Brisbane Broncos

STREAMING ON SEAGULLS TV (not on Fox/Kayo):

ALSO STREAMING ON FACEBOOK:

These preseason games will be broadcast on Fox/Kayo. In QLD time:

Feb 12, 7.10pm: NRL All Stars (also on Channel 9)
Feb 19, 7pm: Broncos v Titans
Feb 26, 8pm: Broncos v Cowboys

Other matches in AEDT. Subtract an hour for QLD:

6pm — Friday February 18: Roosters vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 18: Tigers vs Sea Eagles
4pm — Saturday February 19: Storm vs Warriors
6pm — Saturday February 19: Rabbitohs vs Cowboys
4pm — Sunday February 20: Panthers vs Sharks
6pm — Sunday February 20: Eels vs Dragons
7pm — Monday February 21: Bulldogs vs Knights
6pm — Friday February 25: Sea Eagles vs Raiders
8pm — Friday February 25: Roosters vs Tigers
3pm — Saturday February 26: Warriors vs Titans
5pm — Saturday February 26: Panthers vs Eels
7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Attachments

• Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    Broncos-2022-Game-Web-Banner-720-x-180-px.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,654
Is he a chance of making the top 13 you reckon?

I wouldn’t mind him as the cheap safe centre to balance out the strike (and cost) of Staggs

Yeah at times through the year; I think he represents the type of buy/player the Broncos haven't got value out of for years. You need to get value out of those guys outside your top 17- may be 10 games but that's what the Storm and Roosters do so well- they have have a strong club not just team. He played four ISC games for the Tigers last year but couldn't shake his injury so he's always been a there abouts player. Just have to get the most out of the time he's in. This year could be his fourth ISC club!

Kevvie says one out one in, the guy coming in has to be as strong as the guy coming out.

Those highlights of Brenko were a few years ago now so we should temper our expectations coming into this year.

From memory he had a breakout year with the dogs in 2017 and then signed a decent deal for the titans where he had a similarly decent attacking output in 2018, but he only ended up playing 20 games across two seasons at the titans... and I believe that was mainly because he became a massive liability in defense... could've also been some injuries in there, but cant quite remember.

He went to the storm after not playing a whole lot in 2019, and I think he was sitting behind Seve initially until getting a shot and then got through 14 games to pretty well lock down a position in the backline.

From memory I dont recall his storm stint being as explosive attacking wise, but his defence wouldve improved tenfold... the subdued attack may have been coaching or maturing as a player or losing athletic ability/lack of games in 2019.... but it may have been more inline with a Jack Reed style ie. not explosive but can get the job done on the end of a backline movement.

He then lost all of 2021 to injury, but coming to Brisbane he may be more of a Jack Reed style and his time at Melbourne has likely increased his attention to detail on the defensive side, which will make him an asset to the Broncos... but whether he jags that center spot over Herbie or Cobbo is yet to be seen.

There are concerns about Herbie's ability to finish off a backline movement, but there shouldn't be concerns around his ability to break the line, whereas that line breaking ability may have passed Brenko by given injuries and about 20 NRL games across the last 3 years.

I mean a Brenko that has the attack from 2017/18, but defends like 2020, is pretty well the best center in the comp... but injuries may be catching up to him and we may get a twilight years Jack Reed instead, which is not really anything to sneeze at.

I'm interested to see how Herbie goes with Cobbo outside him... we should pretty quickly get an idea if Herbie is the problem or if Oates and Glenn were contributing to it, as this year he will have Cobbo and Capewell/Riki/TC/Piakura. If the Herbie + Cobbo connection clicks then it could be one of the most dangerous pairings in the comp with their speed and power

I`m interested to see how Herbie goes with Cobbo on the inside of him . ie Cobbo - centre , Herbie - wing .
That seems a lot more threatening to a defence to me .
There's the possibility that they switch it up over the course of a game given both can play wing or center.

Either way I think they could be a very strong pairing if given some quality ball... Tesi was prone to crowding the edges on the back of sweeps so hopefully he's on point as well.

On an individual player basis the level of success for the Broncos this year could be dependent on how well the 6 and 1 play more than anything.

Reynolds will get us around the field and can kick teams to death, the forwards will make plenty of meters and we have strike across the park.... so one of the most important aspects will be getting quality ball to the strike players to complement the work of Arey and the forwards.

Defence and discipline will of course be important, as well as luck with injuries, but on an individual player basis the form of those two positions could dictate the success or failure of the team in my eyes

I`m interested to see how Herbie goes with Cobbo on the inside of him . ie Cobbo - centre , Herbie - wing .
That seems a lot more threatening to a defence to me .
If Herbie and Cobbo are the left side pairing then I'm sure Walters will want that ball in Cobbo's hands as much as possible. Cobbo can potentially be an attacking weapon. This will be the only way I see Herbie trying to set our winger up more. Defence wise Herbie at centre will do a solid job.

Just thought I would put this up here. Yes I know you can say it's all different circumstances and what not but worth a mention.
Herbie 41 games 9 tries
Jack Reed 1st season 12 tries.

Just thought I would put this up here. Yes I know you can say it's all different circumstances and what not but worth a mention.
Herbie 41 games 9 tries
Not to take anything away from Reed, but I’d probably score 12 tries in a season with Lockyer feeding me the ball. We were also a broken cheekbone and some one sided refereeing away from beating Manly to make the GF that year.

Poor Herbie on the other hand had the player formerly known as Milford. He was also in a team that finished with a wooden spoon (and one of the worst, if not the worst, for and against in the NRL era) and then third last.

I know you acknowledged circumstances, but I just don’t think it is realistic to compare the two.

Herbie 41 games 9 tries
@Foordy says that's because Herbie never had any support.

Poor Herbie on the other hand had the player formerly known as Milford. He was also in a team that finished with a wooden spoon (and one of the worst, if not the worst, for and against in the NRL era) and then third last.
There are concerns about Herbie's ability to finish off a backline movement, but there shouldn't be concerns around his ability to break the line, whereas that line breaking ability may have passed Brenko by given injuries and about 20 NRL games across the last 3 years.
Herbie looks great breaking the line, and he got plenty of opportunities to do it in 2021. Look at his metres.

But I'm not buying the excuse that everyone else was holding him back. Want proof? Compare him to Kotoni and Jesse Arthars, who played with the same team. I'm yet to see anyone rate Jesse, but he managed to cross the line and set up his outside men more than Herbie. And Kotoni was a revelation when he returned.

Herbie looks great breaking the line, and he got plenty of opportunities to do it. Look at his metres. But I'm not buying the excuse that everyone else was holding him back. Want proof? Compare him to Kotoni, who played with the same team.
Compare Hodges to Inglis. Gasnier to Cooper. Meninga to Renouf.

You do understand it’s possible for players to be different in how they play, even though they’re in the same team?

Compare Hodges to Inglis. Gasnier to Cooper. Meninga to Renouf.

You do understand it’s possible for players to be different in how they play, even though they’re in the same team?
You just picked four players who could create something out of nothing. My criticism of Herbie is he has a habit of creating nothing out of something. His apologists insist it's everyone else's fault. The entire team is letting down Herbie.

Not a problem if he's on the wing.

You just picked four players who could create something out of nothing. My criticism of Herbie is he has a habit of creating nothing out of something. His apologists insist it's everyone else's fault. The entire team is letting down Herbie.

Not a problem if he's on the wing.
Does it matter who you compare? You’ll go a long, long way to find two centres who play in the same team and play the same way. But that’s not the point.

To use the Broncos as an example. Neither Hodges nor Tate had much of a passing game when they came into grade as centres. They ran first, like most centres. Like Herbie does. What they did have though, was some pretty spectacular players around them who could mask the areas of their game that needed work.

Herbie doesn’t have a Lockyer, a Priddis, a Tuquiri, a Smith, a Webcke or a Tallis around him to help develop his game.

He is also not Staggs. Staggs is the most destructive centre since Inglis (or maybe Latrell). He is a rare player. His ability to shrug off or barge over defenders gives him more room to ball play because the defence is so worried about him. Put Staggs in any backline and he will do what he does.

Herbie is a Tate, not an Inglis. Tate played centre very well, indeed world class. He only got shifted to the wing outside Hodges / Inglis, the 2 best centres of their generation.

Does it matter who you compare? You’ll go a long, long way to find two centres who play in the same team and play the same way. But that’s not the point.

To use the Broncos as an example. Neither Hodges nor Tate had much of a passing game when they came into grade as centres. They ran first, like most centres. Like Herbie does. What they did have though, was some pretty spectacular players around them who could mask the areas of their game that needed work.

Herbie doesn’t have a Lockyer, a Priddis, a Tuquiri, a Smith, a Webcke or a Tallis around him to help develop his game.

He is also not Staggs. Staggs is the most destructive centre since Inglis (or maybe Latrell). He is a rare player. His ability to shrug off or barge over defenders gives him more room to ball play because the defence is so worried about him. Put Staggs in any backline and he will do what he does.

Herbie is a Tate, not an Inglis. Tate played centre very well, indeed world class. He only got shifted to the wing outside Hodges / Inglis, the 2 best centres of their generation.
Looking forward to him eventually coming good like all those other names.

Ben Ikin on the new kids:

“Deine Mariner is express. He is still very early in his career and has much to do, but Deine has all the natural ability in the world. For all those guys who have been blessed with those sorts of gifts, the next phase is being able to do it for 80 minutes every week, not just the stuff that ends up on the highlight reels, but all the hard work on the other side of the ball. Deine and Blake Mozer are two impressive young talents. They were at high school last year and they have been included in training with the top squad over summer. They are both handling it really well. Deine has impressed all of us with his raw natural ability.”

“Deine has done well in the Broncos Academy and the senior coaching staff are now getting to understand who he is, how he plays and what his strengths and weaknesses are. He was a member of the Australian Schoolboys last year and he has played centre, but like most talented backs they can bounce between wing and fullback. He is a beautiful ball runner and very, very quick. It’s hard to say when he will play NRL, that’s a decision for the coaching staff, but he’s definitely got the tools to get there.”

Adam Reynolds:

“Ezra Mam and Mariner have caught my eye. Ezra has the world at his feet and Deine is quick. I can see the powerful young kids coming through and hopefully the Broncos can hold onto them for the future.”

McHunt

Albert Kelly on his All Stars debut:

“I don’t think any words can explain it for myself. I remember watching the 2008 team at the Sydney Football Stadium. It was amazing. It’s been a decade since I was last in contention for this. I had some pretty big legends in front of me like JT, Princey, Chris Sandow, Jamie Soward. Then I took off to England and they all retired. I was watching from afar over there one year with David Fifita and Robert Lui and I said ‘I need to go home and make the All Stars’. Twelve months later I’m here today.”

“My brother and I grew up with our grandparents. At stages it was pretty tough, we had a lot of struggles along the way. There was a lot of chopping and changing towns and stuff like that."

“I was really focused on trying to achieve my goal of being an NRL player. I wanted to get out of the town and make something for myself. We were very grateful for what our grandparents did for us and sacrificed for us to be who we are today. We’ve moulded into good men and all the thanks goes to our grandparents. Now they’ve passed on, home is always about the people in the house, not where we are.”

“I wanted to be a dad and give them the advice and guidance I didn’t get. That’s what I try to practice every day, to be the best father I can and show them guidance through their journey in life. As a young kid I was a dancer and used to dance with my older cousins and uncles. I learnt a lot through them. We are still very rich in culture there. I went to a school in a mission at Nambucca Heads. Now they’re teaching language back home which is good to see. They are starting to teach the real history of Australia. Hopefully that can help change the curriculum throughout the country.”

“It’s been over a decade since I was last in contention for this. For me to come in here now and see first-hand the type of players here and what they bring to this culture and squad is amazing. These guys are the next generation. They are going to play for a long time in this team. I’m just very grateful to be part of it. I’ve had thoughts that my time is gone, but I’m here as number 14 and playing on Saturday so I’m very grateful. I’ve worked hard to get here. It’s been a ride.”

McHunt

With oates likely to miss out round 1, i think whoever plays centre will have to be pretty consistently good to keep the other blokes out.
There are so many options for that backline. And even if all of those failed you could still push capewell into the centres and halve a strong replacement.
Our depth is pretty impressive, its just figuring out which combinations work best rather a suitable player which is the problem.
It may mean a very good back ends up leaving and kills it somewhere else but with the old heads around the team and a seasoned half who knows exactly how to run a game, i cant really see this being a problem.
Lockyer at times had some fairly average backs he made look a lot better than they were and im confident reynolds will do the same (but with better players to begin with).

With oates likely to miss out round 1, i think whoever plays centre will have to be pretty consistently good to keep the other blokes out.
There are so many options for that backline. And even if all of those failed you could still push capewell into the centres and halve a strong replacement.
Our depth is pretty impressive, its just figuring out which combinations work best rather a suitable player which is the problem.
It may mean a very good back ends up leaving and kills it somewhere else but with the old heads around the team and a seasoned half who knows exactly how to run a game, i cant really see this being a problem.
Lockyer at times had some fairly average backs he made look a lot better than they were and im confident reynolds will do the same (but with better players to begin with).
Oates is likely to miss round 1?

Active Now

• Spoon
  • Manofoneway
  • Yellowfella
  • Stix
  • thenry
  • Confidor
  • Justwin
  • NSW stables
  • Wolfie
  • Lazza
  • the_next
  • Johnny92
  • Accept
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • winslow_wong
  • mitch222
  • Allo
  • barker
  • GCBRONCO
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.