Broncos withdraw offer for Hunt

broncospwn said:
Raw Boned Youngster said:
It is another disappointing aspect of the modern game.
Loyal fans continually lose their favourite players. We are told it is the people's game and we want fans to be loyal and have the tribal commitment etc, but the admin destroys the product that the fans support.
I don't expect players to be loyal, because one injury could end a career - the 'get it while you can' mentality is justifiable to a pro footballer. My issue is the inability of clubs to hang on to what they create and nurture.
it has been mentioned many times before, but some dispensation must be given to long term players and locally produced products.
This will help players to stay loyal.
Surely, this is what the fans want and the game needs.

Players shouldn't be loyal tbh... fans are not loyal.... they are loyal to the club not players, if hunt was to start playing poorly people would want him dropped and would be happy to see the back of him, but because he's in top form and at the peak of his career, everyone wants him to stay. If for the rest of this year he started playing poorly no one here would care if he went.

Their are many players who went they want to leave, many fans will cry LOYALTY and that the players have none, fast forward towards the end of their careers where they may not be as good as the used to be and the same fans who cried loyalty couldn't be happier to see the back of said player and will argue it's a business and not a charity when it suits them.

I don't blame players tbh, as soon as they drop form a little, half the fans call for their head, I don't blame the fans either, but just showing that loyalty is a two way street and fans are loyal to the club itself but not to the players and players are not loyal either and realistically no one s hould expect them to be. If i was working for a company even if they brought me through the ranks, if another place offered me more I would leave straight away, OR if I wasn't performing, the company would drop me without hesitation.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all fans, but the way I see it the majority of fans are not exactly loyal, they just want whats best for the club, but expect the players to not want what's best for them, i.e, Take a better offer.

Feel free to flame away at my post, I don't expect go get a warm reception for it.

No bbq here, I agree as well.

I don't disagree with much of what you said broncospwn. In saying that, it gets up my nose when players leave only because they're talking about wanting more money when they're on (as far as I know) decent enough coin already.

I know in the real world we'd take a $5000 pay rise, because say $55000 compared to $60000 a year makes a difference for your average person.

But we're talking guys who are offered say $350000 wanting to leave to get $370000....that's ridiculous. If there are other motivations - eg, not getting along with coaching staff, players, or having problems in the living environment etc, I can understand. But leaving a club where you've been perfectly happy, which has provided for you, developed you, and possibly even got you into rep teams for a relatively insignificant increase is insulting.

In the case of Hunt, it's not that. I can understand his reasons for feeling a bit disillusioned with Brisbane. He copped a lot of criticism after his toilet shenanigans, and despite the fact he deserved it, he feels hard done by. Fair enough. Soft, but he's only 21, he's still just a kid, probably still feels like the victim when he's busted for something.

What I can't cop is the apparent greediness of what he's asking for. He's not just priced himself out of the Broncos, he's priced himself out of rugby league. If he's set on getting that much money it won't happen in Australia, unless one of the Super 14 teams take him. And if they do, I hope it's not the Reds, because that defeats the other excuse that he feels "let down" by the people of Brisbane.

So no, I can't cop the way this shit is going with K.

CYA K. You're not worth that much son. At least not to Brisbane.

Funny if Hunt leaves and we shift Hodges to fullback and sign Tahu.

Tahu wouldn't make our bench hehehehehehe

I hope we use our money to top up our young kids and go after a prop.

I think Winterstein would make a fine FB - speed, strong, and has good hands. The positioning and defense is the other parts but the kid has some talent and would make a successful transition.

What about Hoffman? He played really well when he made his debut last year I thought, Is he still with the Broncos?

It really sucks that we are going to lose Hunt but I guess Hodges has always wanted to play Fullback and as he did in 2006 he could give us another dimension in attack.

Beads6 said:
It really sucks that we are going to lose Hunt but I guess Hodges has always wanted to play Fullback and as he did in 2006 he could give us another dimension in attack.

The thing is should we move Hodges to fullback, it would allow Folau to remain right center, and allow us to keep both Yow Yeh and Winterstein on the wings, bot of them have really impressed me this season so far.

having said that i still want Hunt to stay and it is disappointing his manager (and possibly him) have priced himself right out of the Australian market.

If we do lose Hunt I hope we bring a young guy into fullback. I don't see the sense moving Hodges there when:

a) he hasn't really played there a lot - as much as he might want to
b) he is, IMO, much more suited to centre and will actually build a nice combination Issy
c) he has become a bit injury-prone (and of course many suspensions) and to honest I don't really know how many years he realistically has left in him in the top grade

No I would definitely prefer we groom a good young player coming through.

If hunt goes i think we should put Hoffman at fullback and leave hodges where he is.

So at the moment that's 720 against Tahu....

Flutterby said:
If we do lose Hunt I hope we bring a young guy into fullback. I don't see the sense moving Hodges there when:

a) he hasn't really played there a lot - as much as he might want to
b) he is, IMO, much more suited to centre and will actually build a nice combination Issy
c) he has become a bit injury-prone (and of course many suspensions) and to honest I don't really know how many years he realistically has left in him in the top grade

No I would definitely prefer we groom a good young player coming through.

Agreed. Seriously, even without Hunt:

1. Hoffman
2. Winterstein/Yow Yeh
3. Hodges
4. Michaels
5. Folau

Still an amazing three-quarter line IMO.

Active Now

• The True King
  • Santa
  • Bongo
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Mustafur
  • Wolfie
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrTickyMcG
  • MrMoore
  • bert_lifts
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwibronco
  • Foordy
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.