Broncos youngsters under threat from poachers.

That's just grandstand rhetoric.

The Roosters have a very good system; look at the side that played the Broncos a few weeks ago. Jennings, Maloney, Waerea-Hargreaves and Moa are it for playing for another NRL club.

But how many of the rest were other clubs juniors?

That's just grandstand rhetoric.

The Roosters have a very good system; look at the side that played the Broncos a few weeks ago. Jennings, Maloney, Waerea-Hargreaves and Moa are it for playing for another NRL club.
McIlwrick?

But how many of the rest were other clubs juniors?

If I had time I'd love to see which of them made rep teams in the lower grades while at other clubs.

Ferguson didn't play against Brisbane.

If I had time I'd love to see which of them made rep teams in the lower grades while at other clubs.
This is closer to the point, I think. Talent spotting and picking the cream may be good recruitment but it's hardly good long term development policy.

Oh, I see, 1910's qualifier was "who played against us".

That was the only Big League left on my desk.

The argument of juniors and rep teams won't hold up well; apply it to the Broncos too.

Blair- NZ
Glenn- NZ and the Coast
Boyd- Coast
Reed- Ipswich
Gillett- Bribie Island
Joe Ofahengaue- Ipswich
Parcell- Ipswich
Kahu- NZ
Parker- Logan
Thaiday- Townsville
Hodges- Cairns
Nikorima- NZ
Hunt- Rocky
Dodds- Capalaba
Wallace- Coast
Molo- Aspley
Maranta- Wests
McCullough- Dalby
Milford- Souths
McGuire- Aspley
Copley- Aspley
Taylor- Toowoomba
Vidot- Souths

The days of recuiting from just Brisbane or just East Sydney are gone. Talent spotting is now about finding kids anywhere and getting them into your system early no matter where they are from. The Roosters are very good at that and their current team shows that.

Last edited:
This article seems like bullshit to me.

Surely there's no way WB would be undecided on if he wants to keep Jayden.

This article seems like bullshit to me.

Surely there's no way WB would be undecided on if he wants to keep Jayden.

Why wouldn't he be? We have Hunt/Milf/Boyd with Kahu as a backup option, Kodi is finding his way in first grade from the bench... Jayden might not get a run for ages, is it worth matching offers he gets from other clubs if we might not use him?

Jayden is a much better talent than Kodi and Kahu can play in the outside backs.

Put it this way. If WB doesn't want Jayden he is an idiot. Anyone who doesn't want him is an idiot. I was simply choosing to call the article stupid rather than WB.

so let's do a bit of a list on who's supposedly going to become a gun player in first grade and are either off contract or are part of the logjam

feel free to correct me or add other names

K Nikorima
J Nikorima
A Taylor
T Opacic
G Fai
F Molo
K Hipgrave
L Collins
B Greinke
J Offa
J Arrow

11 players, 2 utilities, a half, a center/wing, 7 forwards.

Unlikely either of our halves are going anywhere anytime soon, so barring a serious injury or a dramatic fall from grace/form, we're unlikely to see Taylor or J Nikorima in first grade this year. Hunt is 25 this year and Milford is 21. Taylor is 20, Kodi is 21, Jayden is 19. (ages based on what they're turning or have turned this year)

Opacic has a bit of a fight on his hands with Kahu, Maranta and Oates all seemingly in front of him, with Reed Hodges and Copley certs. Opacic is 21, Kahu 24, Maranta 23, Oates 21 (though you would assume he will move into the back row eventually so take that into consideration at the bottom of the page), Reed 27, Copley 24, Hodges 33

Fai, Collins and Hipgrave have a few years on their side as they're only 18-19 from memory

Arrow is 20, J Offa 21, Molo 21, Greinke 21.

Our current forward pack consists of Mcguire 25, Thaiday 30, Glenn 27, Gillett 27, Parker 33, Blair 29, Wallace 24, Dodds 26, Garbutt 26, Gavet 26.

If you were in charge of the phasing in and out of players, assuming these players continued on their current trajectory - who'd you choose to replace whom? and who would you phase out, and when would this process start?
I think you will find J Offa is 19 not 21. He has time on his side but the Broncos do not as he will be a target for other clubs

I'm going to be pretty upset if we lose Jayden.

Unfortunately Penny, JNik will be gone. Take it as fact, he will be playing for Manly next year.

Guys ,please dont PM me asking for my sauce on this one. Is a real shame, but Manly offer, both money and promise of opportunity in the halves, too good to refuse for the kid.

Unfortunately Penny, JNik will be gone. Take it as fact, he will be playing for Manly next year.

Guys ,please dont PM me asking for my sauce on this one. Is a real shame, but Manly offer, both money and promise of opportunity in the halves, too good to refuse for the kid.

Cool scoop! I just sent PM requesting "sauce", please respond at your earliest convenience.

FiH reckons Jayden is leaving, therefore I have the utmost confidence that he is staying.

We're back on top of the ladder in both the NRL and NYC with Bennett running the show and the lazy ***** from down south are once again raiding our pantry. How surprised I am.

Jayden is a much better talent than Kodi and Kahu can play in the outside backs.

Put it this way. If WB doesn't want Jayden he is an idiot. Anyone who doesn't want him is an idiot. I was simply choosing to call the article stupid rather than WB.

It's not a matter of not wanting him but balancing his worth, if he isn't our first choice in any position why try and match other offers? At best right now he is a backup, you don't pay big money for a backup. So if Manly/Titans or any other club wants to pay him like a starter, there is no point matching it.

Can you imagine being a playmaker at manly next year , and an inexperienced one at that. It may be an opportunity that you wouldn't want.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.