Bruno Cullen - lash out

Crazy Sam said:
Bruno must be doing something right given how the crowds and memberships have risen each of the past few years. I'm sure this support is as important a KPI for him as the Broncos' on-field success.

Well lets see how he goes now with the squad he has largley shaped.

Our game day crowds will dwindle very quickly if we start to lose badly week in week out. The NRL and the Broncs have gone down the road of supplying a product so you get a lot of ppl who go to the footy for a day out or a big night, they go to be entertained.

Bruno is about to find out that those fans won't turn up if the product is bad, it will be interesting to see how many real footy fans keep turning up.

Seriously people are acting like they have seen the Broncos Books. we have nothing to prove Bruno shaped this side. All we have is "Gossip" nothing else to base these facts on.

draggx said:
Seriously people are acting like they have seen the Broncos Books. we have nothing to prove Bruno shaped this side. All we have is "Gossip" nothing else to base these facts on.

Well he is hardly sargeant Schulz is he.

Obviously as m1c said he is not the sole decision maker but he has had plenty to do with it.

Dexter said:
Flutterby said:

Well you may like to enlighten us all as to who does the hirering and firering then FB

Picture this right, your the CEO of the biggest club in the NRL. Your Coach comes in and tells you.
Listen i know Darius has potential and all but i just dont see him in my plans ive got a couple of young guys i want to use instead as i see more in their future, Its up to you sir but if Darius does hang around his only gonna be a backup player

Now Darius has been offered lets say $250,000 to go play with your previous coach at another team. To keep him your going to have to offer him $300,000.. The Cap is 4.2million (i think) and Darius is only going to be used as a backup player if you keep him.

What would you do?

Gee thanks DX I never would have imagined anything so complicated. [eusa_doh

Poor example, the club was 100% correct in letting him go at the time. It was a no brainer IMO.

Darius was one of the best youngsters to come through our club in 10 years - and thats not from me. The kid was always going to play for QLD and Aus, he would have been squeezed out eventually with Hodges and Hunt established and with Izzy coming...

What do you do as a club? Keep him for a few years before he is squeezed out, or, let him go now so you can keep a player who at the time would do a similar job over those years for less.

Yes hindsight is everything. Michaels went backwards and Hunt left. Boyd would never have been lost otherwise.

Dexter said:
Flutterby said:

Well you may like to enlighten us all as to who does the hireing and fireing then FB

I sigh because I don't actually think our situation is as bad as some others are making out and don't think that many decisions have been that bad - there are some that appear to have been completely poor ones however we do not know the full and true circumstances and other issues that may have been behind the decisions (on either the club or the players' side).

But as you asked, the Head Coach is the main man who decides upon player recruitment, retention etc. Basically the head coach will tell the CEO who he believes are the "must keep/recruit no matter what the cost" players, the "I don't see him in my plans so if we keep him on we'll be paying him to play Q Cup only" players, the "I'd really like to keep/recruit, but if someone else offers him a bigger contract, no big deal" players, the "this kid has a real future and I want to work with him in our system to bring him along" players etc. And then just leaves the CEO to finalise the details within the constraints of the salary cap.

And seriously the playing roster is only one part of the CEO's job. He has to run the business - sponsors, media, admin staff, merchandising, getting fans to the games, etc etc etc etc. My only complaint about Bruno has that on occassion I feel that he has tried to involve himself a little too much in the running of the football team. The strongest clubs tend to have a CEO that runs the business and a Head Coach that runs the football team and neither interferes in the other's domain (this was the greatest strength of the Bennett/Ribot and Bennett/Edwards teams). However I also think that Bruno has learnt over the years and doesn't get as involved in the football side as he once did.

And let's not forget also, that Bruno's predecessors at the club operated in a far different environment when players and clubs both showed a lot more loyalty and players would stay for much less than they could get elsewhere. Those days are largely gone. And the professional sporting market wasn't as competitive as it is today. And let's face it, many of those Broncos teams were littered players posessing the skills the likes of which is unlikely to be seen again in the same generation of footballers at the same time.

Overall I think he is doing a pretty decent job and once again am sick of the negativity and the looking for someone to blame, when things are not even really that bad IMO.

Flutterby said:
Dexter said:
Flutterby said:

Well you may like to enlighten us all as to who does the hireing and fireing then FB

I sigh because I don't actually think our situation is as bad as some others are making out and don't think that many decisions have been that bad - there are some that appear to have been completely poor ones however we do not know the full and true circumstances and other issues that may have been behind the decisions (on either the club or the players' side).

But as you asked, the Head Coach is the main man who decides upon player recruitment, retention etc. Basically the head coach will tell the CEO who he believes are the "must keep/recruit no matter what the cost" players, the "I don't see him in my plans so if we keep him on we'll be paying him to play Q Cup only" players, the "I'd really like to keep/recruit, but if someone else offers him a bigger contract, no big deal" players, the "this kid has a real future and I want to work with him in our system to bring him along" players etc. And then just leaves the CEO to finalise the details within the constraints of the salary cap.

And seriously the playing roster is only one part of the CEO's job. He has to run the business - sponsors, media, admin staff, merchandising, getting fans to the games, etc etc etc etc. My only complaint about Bruno has that on occassion I feel that he has tried to involve himself a little too much in the running of the football team. The strongest clubs tend to have a CEO that runs the business and a Head Coach that runs the football team and neither interferes in the other's domain (this was the greatest strength of the Bennett/Ribot and Bennett/Edwards teams). However I also think that Bruno has learnt over the years and doesn't get as involved in the football side as he once did.

And let's not forget also, that Bruno's predecessors at the club operated in a far different environment when players and clubs both showed a lot more loyalty and players would stay for much less than they could get elsewhere. Those days are largely gone. And the professional sporting market wasn't as competitive as it is today. And let's face it, many of those Broncos teams were littered players posessing the skills the likes of which is unlikely to be seen again in the same generation of footballers at the same time.

Overall I think he is doing a pretty decent job and once again am sick of the negativity and the looking for someone to blame, when things are not even really that bad IMO.

FB I am not one to look at the negative side straight away but I do have concerns over the direction the squad has taken over the last couple of years. As has been posted in some other threads what bothers me in particular is the lack of players we have to help bring our young guys through.

I agree it is not an easy thing to balance the salary cap against who to keep and who to bring through, however in the past the Broncs have always had a squad you could look at with some confidence knowing they would compete and at some time be challenging for the premiership.
For the first time I can't see that in our squad. I hope I am wrong but in the mean time I will continue doing what I've done since game 1 1988 and head to Lang pk every home game I can and cheer the boys on.

Dex as has been said before. Wayne Bennett! the reason we don't have the same amazing squad willing to stay longer. Alot of players in 09 had Contracts made when Bennett was still coach and before we knew he was leaving.

2010 is the start of contracts from players knowing Bennett is gone, Coming to Brisbane will now be a lifestyle choice and a "Playing Next to lockyer" choice and then now having the Titans/Prince there is an alternative to us.

I don't think people moving to Brisbane will be looking at the "playing next to Lockyer" as criteria seeing as there is a good chance this is his last year (not many more regardless).

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.