Building towards the future.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The negativity around here of late is depressing, whether it is Griffin hate or Hoffman hate or whatever else ... so I thought I'd start a thread to talk about positive stuff.

In my opinion we have a promising future about to start.

Spine

I honestly think that we can build a very successful team around the spine we will have next year. All of which are young talented players that we will be able to build around for the next 5-10 years.

1. Barba - we all know what he is capable of... and although he hasn't got back to it yet, he has shown us glimpses. I think once he slims down a bit, and doesn't have to play as much 5/8 in attack, we will once again see his devastating best.

6. Milford - one of the best young talents in the game, at his best a damaging runner of the ball. Get him working with Lucky during the pre-season and he will turn into one hell of a 6. But patience will be necessary.

7. Hunt - this kid is turning into a world class halfback. Just needs a bit more work on his kicking game.

9. Macca - needs to work on speeding up his service out of dummy half, but has a good combination with Hunt and strengthens our middle defensively.

outside backs

2. Vidot - leads the league in meters gained this year. Impressive for a winger. Has good size about him, needs some work under the high ball.

3. Copley - the ideal replacement for Hodges at center. Powerful runner of the ball with a good step and fend. Needs to work on his hands though.

Forwards

McGuire - will be the leader of our pack for years to come. Already our best prop. Needs to get the silly penalties out of his game.

Oates - this kid is a footy player. Got good speed and agility. Will be one of the best back rowers within 3 years.

Gillett - Great hole runner, needs some work on his defense. Will form a deadly back row with Oates.

The start of our future premiership winning Brisbane Broncos.

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Copley
6. Milford
7. Hunt (c)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
11. Oates
13. Gillett

Discuss!

Yeah completely. Although I don't hate on reed like others do. I know what he's capable of too, honestly thought he and Hoffman had such a lethal combination out on the edge that we could have seen real potential there too.

In the last two years we've had a winger in the top try scoring teer of the NRL. It shines obvious Griffins' coaching style and game plan. Play conservative, hold the ball, defend your line and score in the corners. It's one dimensional and boring. And the reason why we have lost SO many games in the final minutes this year. Conservative plays and trying to win off defense.

Now, look at the attacking prowess of our roster....hoffman can be a damaging player! If he learned how to fend he'd be powerful. Barba is in the same bag. Yes, we all know how damaging he can be too but he needs to play lighter and learn how to fend again. Griffin is undoing all the work Canterbury put into him and now he's lost his way a bit. Conflicting styles. But, back to our dangerous ball runners. .. hoffman yes, could be. Barba - obviously. Hodges, need I say more. Now hunt, next year milford and even vidot. Reed too is a great draw and pass center. He sets up his winger well!

Honestly, on paper we have a terrific side. We just need a new playing style. Play deeper, run better angles sure. . But we need stronger forwards. This is why our backs aren't getting the points. Parker can't do it all l himself. We need a hulking offloader and a barreling prop. Maguire I think should be our other offloader. It's just we need a fearless webke type out there with him.

The negativity around here of late is depressing, whether it is Griffin hate or Hoffman hate or whatever else ... so I thought I'd start a thread to talk about positive stuff.

Spine

I honestly think that we can build a very successful team around the spine we will have next year. All of which are young talented players that we will be able to build around for the next 5-10 years.

1. Barba - we all know what he is capable of... and although he hasn't got back to it yet, he has shown us glimpses. I think once he slims down a bit, and doesn't have to play as much 5/8 in attack, we will once again see his devastating best.

6. Milford - one of the best young talents in the game, at his best a damaging runner of the ball. Get him working with Lucky during the pre-season and he will turn into one hell of a 6. But patience will be necessary.

7. Hunt - this kid is turning into a world class halfback. Just needs a bit more work on his kicking game.

9. Macca - needs to work on speeding up his service out of dummy half, but has a good combination with Hunt and strengthens our middle defensively.

outside backs

2. Vidot - leads the league in meters gained this year. Impressive for a winger. Has good size about him, needs some work under the high ball.

3. Copley - the ideal replacement for Hodges at center. Powerful runner of the ball with a good step and fend. Needs to work on his hands though.

Forwards

McGuire - will be the leader of our pack for years to come. Already our best prop. Needs to get the silly penalties out of his game.

Oates - this kid is a footy player. Got good speed and agility. Will be one of the best back rowers within 3 years.

Gillett - Great hole runner, needs some work on his defense. Will form a deadly back row with Oates.

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Copley
6. Milford
7. Hunt (c)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
11. Oates
13. Gillett

Discuss!

I love the look off this side but I am worried K Nikorima and Ash Taylor will be lost to other clubs. I would mind be a little different and see something like this maybe. I think Reed is capable of moving to backrow on the left edge with Barba and Vidot outside him sounds exciting. Barba at centre, Reed into backrow will have some people cringe and so would keeping Milford at one but its a opinion.

1 Milford
2 Vidot
3 Barba
4 Copley
5 Maranta
6 A Taylor
7 Hunt
8 McGuire
9 McCullough
10 Molo
11 Reed
12 Oates
13 Gillett

14 K Nikorima
15 Hala
16 Wallace

Gillett isn't a Lock, he's a back rower. We'll need a new lock once Parker retires, or shift McGuire there.

Spine

outside backs

Forwards

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Copley
6. Milford
7. Hunt (c)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
11. Oates
13. Gillett

Discuss!

Great post Foordy, I think we can get a bit negative, and agree we have a great young team from 2015 onwards

I am very positive about our roster. Next year hoff will be out of the halves, and will make a top class centre/winger. Add a big, hard running prop and our team will be one of the best in the comp next year with great depth. Kahu, Maranta, Nikorima, Taylor.

All we need is a competent coach and we are a real premiership contender.

Gillett isn't a Lock, he's a back rower. We'll need a new lock once Parker retires, or shift McGuire there.

McGuire is the most logical choice (unless the position changes again in that time).

McGuire has a great work rate and excellent ball security, but he doesn't have much of an offload in him. I'd like to see him work on that as well as his discipline, but we're not that well served in the front row, that we can afford to move him to lock. Glenn, Oates and Gillett at lock (where he has been playing very well) could be a fantastic backrow.

Besides, we still have Parker and Thaiday for a few more years. Yes, I did mention Thaiday, whom despite people's criticism, is still one of the best backrowers in the comp!

It's funny how quickly things change... we went from very weak to be very well served in the backline, including the critical spine, both in FG as well as U20's.

Glenn, Oates and Gillett at lock (where he has been playing very well) could be a fantastic backrow.

Yeah, he's been a great lock, playing on that right edge.

Thaiday is the one who plays lock for us, I don't understand how people don't see it.

Yeah, he's been a great lock, playing on that right edge.

Thaiday is the one who plays lock for us, I don't understand how people don't see it.
English can be such a deceitful language... I didn't mean he has been playing there, I meant he has played well WHEN in that position.

Fair enough. Yeah, he went fairly well there in the past, but now I actually think he adds a lot more on the edges (especially when we properly use him there).

Fair enough. Yeah, he went fairly well there in the past, but now I actually think he adds a lot more on the edges (especially when we properly use him there).
But looking at the future, I think we would be better served with him at lock, where his playmaking/offload ability will serves us well, while Oates and Glenn are better suited for the fringes.

Is everyone so sure Milford will be five-eighth? Was there any credibility to that story that what clinched the deal with Brisbane was getting first crack at fullback?

1. Milford
6. Taylor or whoever else of our rookies guns it
7. Hunt

Is what I'm hoping for in the near future.

Is everyone so sure Milford will be five-eighth? Was there any credibility to that story that what clinched the deal with Brisbane was getting first crack at fullback?

The Story I read said that what clinched the deal was Locky personally telling him that he would help Milford transition to 5/8.

However there is a good chance we will have a new coach next year ... so who knows

1. Milford
6. Taylor or whoever else of our rookies guns it
7. Hunt

Is what I'm hoping for in the near future.

If Milford transitions to the 6 next year, it would be unlikely that he will move back to fullback. Especially if he performs well.

I love the look off this side but I am worried K Nikorima and Ash Taylor will be lost to other clubs. I would mind be a little different and see something like this maybe. I think Reed is capable of moving to backrow on the left edge with Barba and Vidot outside him sounds exciting. Barba at centre, Reed into backrow will have some people cringe and so would keeping Milford at one but its a opinion.

1 Milford
2 Vidot
3 Barba
4 Copley
5 Maranta
6 A Taylor
7 Hunt
8 McGuire
9 McCullough
10 Molo
11 Reed
12 Oates
13 Gillett

14 K Nikorima
15 Hala
16 Wallace

Something I wouldn't mind at all. Whoever turns out to be the best out of Milf and Barba takes fb, the other takes centre. That's providing we develop some gun half in the mean time, not that we'd know with Hofflol wasting the team away/wasting the development of a real 6.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Old Mate
  • rj9
  • Bish
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.