NEWS Carrigan: how low can we go?

I doubt it. Patty will be Captain of this club for years. Wont hurt him at all to be a bit part captain for the next year or two.
He won't be at the Broncos after this contract. Wish it was possible, but simple Maths doesn't fit him in the cap. Already 5 forwards on big big money. He's superfluous to their needs. Would love to see him offered a good contract at GC. .

for start Carrigan is a workhorse type player, they just go about their jobs, but don't tend to be flashy players that make highlight reels ...

secondly no-one in their right mind selects leaders based on their highlight reel ... if you select your captain based of their highlight reel, there is a better than good chance that you'll end up with an extremely poor skipper
He showed his lack of equanimity and displayed his immaturity in the trial (mega loss) against the Titans. Starting a punch up... definitely not ready, nor composed.. not a Captain yet.

He won't be at the Broncos after this contract. Wish it was possible, but simple Maths doesn't fit him in the cap. Already 5 forwards on big big money. He's superfluous to their needs. Would love to see him offered a good contract at GC. .

He will be here.

Who says the other forwards will be here after their contract is finished. One or more of Lodge, Ofahengaue and TPJ could potentially have moved on when Carrigan's next contract is signed leaving a larger contract for him.

Is Jai Arrow superfluous?

Carrigan is lucky to be in the 17, let alone captain. He's solely there due to injuries and suspensions, to far superior players, and will lose his place ASAP. What a sorry state the club is in, if he is to captain. His showing as a captain in the trials was very poor. Croft directs and speaks more, and doesn't start useless fights. Far better option, until the two preferred captains are available.
This is why we need a new reaction button.

Let’s put things in perspective.
I can remember shit going on when Gene Miles took over from Wally as captain of this once great club. You guys need to get real about Patty, great expectations, but come on - two games and your captain - Really!
Heaven help us.

Good choice for captain! It might show the paucity of options but it's also a positive bet on the future.. I mean seriously what are they risking installing a young improving player with a great attitude and strong character? 8th place on the ladder is at risk!?

I like Glenn but keep in mind he was scouting the weights room at the Panthers a few months ago because the Broncos were not in a rush to keep him, and now he is captain.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned a single memorable Carrigan nrl football highlight on the field. Eg tuquiri patting him on the back after he ragdoll origin opponent 15m into touch. Or maybe an important nrl try he scored or memorable try saving tackle he had no right to make.
Highlights do not make a captain. Roberts has highlights, important plays etc. But i would not have him as a captain.

I would argue that webcke was one of our best recent forward leaders (had locky not been around, would possibly have been captain). He does not have highlight reels dedicated to him, was not a known offloader, not a regular big hitter but he was a good leader because he put his hand up and did the hard work, took the hard runs, did the 1 percenters etc. These are traits people are seeing in carrigan.

Your captain does not necessarily have to be your best or most experienced player (i.e. boyd cordner for roosters, nsw and now australia).

I dont think anyone has said carrigan should be the fulltime captain now. Glenn is a deserved captain. After two years when glenn retires i think we may see a co-captaincy of carrigan and croft (if they are progressing and performing as hoped). By this time they will both have more nrl experience in broncos colours.

For those saying he started the fight in a trial, he had a team mate on his back tussling with 2 opponents standing over him. I would have an issue with a captain not going in to defend/support his team mate. What i did like though after the incident was his interaction with the referee. He did not shout or talk over the ref, he was respectful, listened and then said his piece as to why he acted. These respectful interactions will enable him to develop a positive rapport with refs which should work to our benefit in the long term (have a look how cameron smith interacted with refs a few years back and look at the shit the storm get away with now).

I think carrigan is in the broncs long term plans, he would not be in the leadership team if he were not. I think ofa will go before him.

Last edited:
Highlights do not make a captain. Roberts has highlights, important plays etc. But i would not have him as a captain.

I would argue that webcke was one of our best recent forward leaders (had locky not been around, would possibly have been captain). He does not have highlight reels dedicated to him, was not a known offloader, not a regular big hitter but he was a good leader because he put his hand up and did the hard work, took the hard runs, did the 1 percenters etc. These are traits people are seeing in carrigan.

Your captain does not necessarily have to be your best or most experienced player (i.e. boyd cordner for roosters, nsw and now australia).

I dont think anyone has said carrigan should be the fulltime captain now. Glenn is a deserved captain. After two years when glenn retires i think we may see a co-captaincy of carrigan and croft (if they are progressing and performing as hoped). By this time they will both have more nrl experience in broncos colours.

For those saying he started the fight in a trial, he had a team mate on his back tussling with 2 opponents standing over him. I would have an issue with a captain not going in to defend/support his team mate. What i did like though after the incident was his interaction with the referee. He did not shout or talk over the ref, he was respectful, listened and then said his piece as to why he acted. These respectful interactions will enable him to develop a positive rapport with refs which should work to our benefit in the long term (have a look how cameron smith interacted with refs a few years back and look at the shit the storm get away with now).

I think carrigan is in the broncs long term plans, he would not be in the leadership team if he were not. I think ofa will go before him.

In fact there have been many times under Boyd’s captaincy where other sides do dirty stuff after plays, etc and the Broncs just look and / or laugh. I want to seethe captain stand up for his teammates and not meekly walk away head down.

It is incredible that you can tell what our contract situation is going to be after the next 3 seasons. Don't sell yourself short calling it simple maths, what you're using is much more special.

In fact there have been many times under Boyd’s captaincy where other sides do dirty stuff after plays, etc and the Broncs just look and / or laugh. I want to seethe captain stand up for his teammates and not meekly walk away head down.
Some people around here equate standing up for yourself and your team mates as poor discipline or low intelligence. When Lodge reacted to Flanagan kneeing him in the head, I was proud of the Broncos. A nice change from alot of the weak efforts served up last season.

Some people around here equate standing up for yourself and your team mates as poor discipline or low intelligence. When Lodge reacted to Flanagan kneeing him in the head, I was proud of the Broncos. A nice change from alot of the weak efforts served up last season.
TBF - that's what I saw in Carrigan at the titans trial. He was third man in when a bit of a scuffle erupted. Stood up for his team, credit where credit is due there.

TBF - that's what I saw in Carrigan at the titans trial. He was third man in when a bit of a scuffle erupted. Stood up for his team, credit where credit is due there.
Yes. Credit to Carrigan there. That's what u want.

The thing is, reacting without punching is what often results in getting a penalty too.

I clearly remember Boyd dropping a ball or something and then getting pushed over (maybe into a sideboard even) well after and then just getting up and walking back to his side head down. No reaction, no teammates coming up for support. I’m not condoning unnecessary aggression but standing up results in less wrestling and grubbiness going unpunished the other way. This is the stupidity of NRL officialdom, you need to work with it.

Active Now

• marw
  • Griffo
  • Manlyman
  • Jazza
  • Porthoz
  • Allo
  • Dash
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • Redux
  • Justwin
  • Mustafur
  • Harry Sack
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Scorchie
  • Johnny92
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.